why the mass of the planet plays no role in determining a satellite's orbital speed (1 Viewer)

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
Re: why the mass of the planet plays no role in determining a satellite's orbital spe

omg i fucked up sorry it was the planet orbitting something else lol

forget about this question

Physicklad

HSC
Re: why the mass of the planet plays no role in determining a satellite's orbital spe

theres no 2

just (GM/r)^1/2

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

isn't that escape velocity? lol

malcolm21

HSC
N/A

lol oops

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

It's not the mass of the planet that plays no role in determining the satellite's orbital speed, it's the mass of the satellite.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Orbital Velocity = GM / r (square root over the whole thing)

Its derivation comes from equating the centripetal force formula and the gravitational force equation that includes the mass of the planet and the mass of the object (The mass of the object is cancelled out in the derivation hence why it isn't dependent on the mass of the object).

Escape Velocity = 2GM / r (square root over the whole thing)

It's derivation comes from equation the kinetic energy formula and the gravitational potential energy formula

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Escape Velocity = 2GM / r (square root over the whole thing)

It's derivation comes from equation the kinetic energy formula and gravitational force equation that includes the mass of the planet and the mass of the object (The mass of the object is cancelled out in the derivation hence why it isn't dependent on the mass of the object).
Actually gravitational potential energy.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Yeah my bad haha

What happens to the negative though?
Well actually, we don't equate the kinetic energy to the potential energy (if we did, there'd be a negative, as you said). What we actually do is equate the total mechanical energy to 0. It is explained here:

Escape velocity is the velocity given by , where M is the mass of the planet, and Rplanet is the radius of the planet. Thus as you can see, the square root of the gravitational constant helps determine vesc., and vesc. is proportional to the square root of the mass of the planet, and inversely proportional to the square root of the planet's radius.

Here is the explanation why (i.e. how we derived the formula for vesc.).

We are assuming there's no loss of energy from the spacecraft due to air resistance or other frictional effects etc. Therefore, the total mechanical energy (which is Etot. = Ek + Ep) of the craft is conserved throughout its flight (conservation of energy). This means the value of Etot. = Ek + Ep is constant at any point in time of the craft's flight. As we are launching it at escape velocity, we want in the limit at time goes to infinity, the distance the craft is from the planet to tend to infinity (this is the definition of the escape velocity: the craft will get arbitrarily far away from the planet as time goes on and on – it doesn't reach a maximum distance and then fall back down to Earth), and in this limit, the speed of the spacecraft will tend to 0. This means in the limit as , we have (because the velocity is tending to 0 as the earth's gravity keeps slowing the craft down) and (because the distance r of the craft tends to infinity, and as r is in the denominator of the Ep formula, ). This means the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy (i.e. total mechanical energy), in the limit as , is 0.

Since , and we said earlier that by conservation of energy, is constant, it means this constant value is 0, i.e. .

, since when time = 0, the craft starts at the planet's surface (hence Ep has Rplanet in the denominator, as this is the initial distance from the planet's centre), and the velocity is the escape velocity (since we're launching it at escape velocity), so Ek initially equals (m is the mass of the craft).

So that's the explanation of how we got the equation at the start, from which we derived escape velocity's formula.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Well actually, we don't equate the kinetic energy to the potential energy (if we did, there'd be a negative, as you said). What we actually do is equate the total mechanical energy to 0. It is explained here:
Yeah I had a feeling equating them would make no sense

Thanks for reminding me :) (I haven't done calculation questions involving this in a while)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)