Why is it that... (1 Viewer)

VenomP

HSC
...burettes AND pipettes are used in titration instead of just one or the other?

Cause from what I know they perform pretty much the same function...

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
um have you actually done a titration?

supanerd

HSC
Burettes and pipettes do not have the same function.

Burettes are the glass cylinders connected to a retort stand and has the solution whose hydrogen concentration (or pH) you want to measure. There is a tap at the end which you use to carefully release drops of the solution into the beaker below until the colour change occurs, showing the point of pH change for the solution.

The pipette is what you use to draw the standard solution from the flask you make it in and which you use to empty into the beaker that you will titrate the unknown concentration solution into.

Hope this helps.

Your textbook should definitely have everything and if you haven't done titration yet, this will all become clear when you actually do it. Both are important and both involve different solutions and need to be washed in different ways. It is important that you know their functions and how they are washed well as it could be examined. Also ensure you know how to draw and label the set up of titration (which would also be in your textbook).

jet

Banned
HSC
I wouldn't use a beaker at any point in the titration. They allow more oxygen to react with the solutions. You should be using a conical flask to hold the aliquot.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
I wouldn't use a beaker at any point in the titration. They allow more oxygen to react with the solutions. You should be using a conical flask to hold the aliquot.
it's just hsc chem..... it doesn't have to be within a nanolitre correct.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
it's just hsc chem..... it doesn't have to be within a nanolitre correct.
True, but you're still meant to use a conical flask instead of a beaker. They might mark you down for writing a beaker.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
True, but you're still meant to use a conical flask instead of a beaker. They might mark you down for writing a beaker.
we've been always taught to use a beaker to keep the substances in, and our textbook says it too. never heard of a conical flask except for doing the dripping bit into it.

supanerd

HSC
To be on the safe side, it may be better to use a conical flask. I think in titrations, most schools provide the conical flask. But some people use beakers too.

Safest thing to do is ask your chem teacher - teachers are the best resource on what to do and what not to do.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
To be on the safe side, it may be better to use a conical flask. I think in titrations, most schools provide the conical flask. But some people use beakers too.

Safest thing to do is ask your chem teacher - teachers are the best resource on what to do and what not to do.
yeah good idea. i think we only get provided with one conical flask. so yeah. i'll jsut use whatever i'm given =]].

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
Beakers are used for storage while conical flasks are used for reactions.
The acid and the base should be kept in their own beakers. An aliquot of base should be in a conical flask to which acid is added.

Ideally titrations should be performed in a conical beaker. They reduce the surface area open to the atmosphere but keep it large enough to allow for multiple measuring probes to sit in the solution.

nosh22

HSC
OP, if you have a look at a burette and a pipette you will notice a significant difference. It would be very hard to do a titration with just two pipettes. However, you could use two burettes. It's just much easier to place 20/25mL of acid/base in a pipette, than to a flask, rather than a burette since you don't have to line it up to a mark. Hence one pipette and one burette.
And never use a beaker, always use a conical flask. As when you are titrating, the solution must be swirled so the end point can be clearly seen. It's hard to swirl in a beaker, as it would easily spill. A conical flask is much better.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)