Why Is It That Most People Don't Consider UOW An Option? (1 Viewer)

eja2000

HSC
From what I've seen from the boredofstudies forum as well as people in real life, UOW isn't really seen as a university that people aspire or "want" to go to, unlike universities like USYD, Maq, UNSW, etc..

Why is this? Wollongong Uni seems to be a great uni, from what I've heard and seen of it.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
From what I've seen from the boredofstudies forum as well as people in real life, UOW isn't really seen as a university that people aspire or "want" to go to, unlike universities like USYD, Maq, UNSW, etc..

Why is this? Wollongong Uni seems to be a great uni, from what I've heard and seen of it.
Assuming that most people on BoS live in Sydney, it's quite awhile away for most people.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
That really depends on what part of Sydney that you live in, doesn't it?
Of course.

From what I hear, it's a popular university for students from The Shire.

In most instances though, it's so much more convenient to go to another university in Sydney rather than commute to Wollongong.

Memento-mori

HSC
Accomodation there is terrible, very competitive. Unless if you have family there or are willing to live in a near by apartment, don't bother. From what I've heard however, it is a good university.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Of course.

From what I hear, it's a popular university for students from The Shire.

In most instances though, it's so much more convenient to go to another university in Sydney rather than commute to Wollongong.
Yeah, it's fairly popular with Shire people. It's also one of the main choices of those from the coast, or more inland places like Campbelltown and the Southern Highlands. I know from my high school, it was selected by nearly everyone who went to uni as one of their options.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Quite popular for rural kids that would have to move away to uni anyway...fair few kids from my year will go there. Good early entry scheme for alot of things too.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
as said above, because of the commute.

interesing to compare australia to the states, where pretty much everyone moves away from home to go to college.

D94

HSC
N/A
That really depends on what part of Sydney that you live in, doesn't it?
That is an invalid point, OzKo said "most people" and most people don't live near Wollongong. The majority of the Sydney population live north of Liverpool. From Liverpool, the distance to the city is shorter than the distance to Wollongong. Obviously if you lived in like Campbelltown, then the UOW might be an option worth considering, but anywhere else, the commute is a serious factor.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

because of the people that go there.

I know people that got in with unconditional early entry and like "failed" their HSC

Also, I was speaking to a friend of a friend a while ago about how we feel stupid at Uni because our friends are smart and then she said something and then "yeah, my friend is super smart, she got like 93 or something" (at UoW) and I just tried to not be a dick about it and say "well, everyone in my group of friends got easily above 95… except me." (awkies)

So, I just feel that there is more of an intellectual surround at unis like USyd, UNSW, etc. and also sometimes there is more on offer at those universities too, like the great law, arts, maths, science, psychology, and music faculties at USyd (and the con) and the great engineering, science, design, and media faculties at UNSW (among others).

Also, sometimes the coursework you get to do is better at those unis, and exchanges and stuff. Like, I know USyd has a very good exchange programme with links with many good overseas universities, and UNSW has some very good excursion-y coursework as part of some of their degrees.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, it's fairly popular with Shire people. It's also one of the main choices of those from the coast, or more inland places like Campbelltown and the Southern Highlands. I know from my high school, it was selected by nearly everyone who went to uni as one of their options.
I agree with this. I went to school in Campbelltown and everyone outside of the top ten went to Uni there (except one in the top who went to study law), which also speaks to my above comment that it just doesn't seem as intellectually competitive as UNSW, USyd, etc.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
That is an invalid point, OzKo said "most people" and most people don't live near Wollongong. The majority of the Sydney population live north of Liverpool. From Liverpool, the distance to the city is shorter than the distance to Wollongong. Obviously if you lived in like Campbelltown, then the UOW might be an option worth considering, but anywhere else, the commute is a serious factor.
And if you don't have a car/license the commute to Wollongong is terrible from Campbelltown due to the lack of trains.

There is a Wollongong bus a couple of times a day, but that is only a couple of times, if you have early starts or late finishes or even early finishes and late starts then you're fucked.

The commute to USyd is probably the same/less time by public transport.

eja2000

HSC
And if you don't have a car/license the commute to Wollongong is terrible from Campbelltown due to the lack of trains.

There is a Wollongong bus a couple of times a day, but that is only a couple of times, if you have early starts or late finishes or even early finishes and late starts then you're fucked.

The commute to USyd is probably the same/less time by public transport.
Thing is, I live in The Shire. As such, is it really that bad an option for me? I'd probably be alternating between catching trains and driving down.

eja2000

HSC
From what I've heard, people who get selective entry to UOW and then bomb out tend to do so because they quit trying once they know they've got a guaranteed place, not necessarily because they're lacking in intellectual capacity. If they were, surely they would have been denied early entry or given it provisionally.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I was chatting to a girl who is from the Shire one day at uni and she was basically vehemently opposed on ever going to her 'local' uni. She doesn't see it as very good in comparison, considering she got into UNSW.

Her opinion though. I wouldn't know.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Thing is, I live in The Shire. As such, is it really that bad an option for me? I'd probably be alternating between catching trains and driving down.
Shire's fine. There's heaps of people who come down from the Shire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)