Why is big better? (1 Viewer)

turtleface

HSC
I've noticed lately that a lot of us so called generation Y are really into bigger things for employment (i.e. Big 4, Top tier Banks etc)

I wonder why is this the case? Theres an impression that smaller joints are more boring, but does this mean that there will be noone willing to work at smaller places in the future?

It looks like nobody will work for the sole practitioners and smaller firms in 10 years time...where are they going to get their staff from?

Last edited:

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
lol were all trying to b prestigous and have that "pride" u get by working in big firms.. and dont forget the $$$ haha

lizbon

HSC
i think it's more that big companies have a hierachy and structure in place, so you know you can move up the corporate ladder and have career opportunities like further studies or secondments.

You also get to build some good relationships with big clients, people love meeting bigshots and high up corporates, it's all about the connections in and out of the firm.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
lizbon said:
i think it's more that big companies have a hierachy and structure in place, so you know you can move up the corporate ladder and have career opportunities like further studies or secondments.
That's so true. Young graduates these days are much more interested in "climbing the corporate ladder" than getting a "job for life." Either way, the trend seems to be to start in a large firm, rise up and gain expertise and then move onto starting your own business. People join big firms for the main reason that they can constantly expand their skills base, and have access to more opportunities (promotions and overseas secondments in particular) rather than being fixed in one position at a small firm with limited scope for promotion.

But that's not to say small firms will run out of people, ultimately, the supply/demand imbalance will be countered by small firms growing in market niches and being able to afford the amounts paid by bigger firms to recruit talent, and in many cases, to pay amounts greater than those offered by the big firms.

Conspirocy

HSC
seriously, how many people study commerce/business or economics at uni. Lets just narrow it to sydney uni's

its not a large number compared to like the whole of the country :S i think there are limited places for people in big firms, and eventually you will see people make career choices that move them into independent areas of work.

I mean this is a small group of people who are focused on one thing, compared to the wider public.

Trust me not everyone gets employed at a big firm. my family are accountants, they have a small practice and employ some people who didnt get into big firms. There are heaps of people out there willing to do the work, who are qualified or willing to learn.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
turtleface said:
I've noticed lately that a lot of us so called generation Y are really into bigger things for employment (i.e. Big 4, Top tier Banks etc)

I wonder why is this the case? Theres an impression that smaller joints are more boring, but does this mean that there will be noone willing to work at smaller places in the future?
I think it's all to do with the marketing and whole "opportunities" which won't limit your future prospects whether it be because there are promotional opportunities, increased recognition of your work experience, more training potential, larger clients experience, etc...

But really, I joined the firm I'm at because I felt very connected with it. I know some people who turned down larger companies/firms because they felt they fitted in more with smaller firms.

It looks like nobody will work for the sole practitioners and smaller firms in 10 years time...where are they going to get their staff from?
I think they'll always have staff and people willing to work for them... assuming they don't get merged/taken over by larger firms!

lizbon

HSC
I think prestige definitely plays a part, i mean it definitely rolls off the tongue if you work for UBS as opposed to some unknown company.

Turtleface is right in that there is a cultural shift in the supposed "Gen Y", grads now are always looking out for better opportunities and more money, and they're prepared to move ard to get the bucks, so just because they may start at a big 4 doesn't mean they'll stay there anyway.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
lizbon said:

You also get to build some good relationships with big clients, people love meeting bigshots and high up corporates, it's all about the connections in and out of the firm.
I think prestige definitely plays a part, i mean it definitely rolls off the tongue if you work for UBS as opposed to some unknown company.

Turtleface is right in that there is a cultural shift in the supposed "Gen Y", grads now are always looking out for better opportunities and more money, and they're prepared to move ard to get the bucks, so just because they may start at a big 4 doesn't mean they'll stay there anyway.
I couldn't agree more!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
turtleface said:

Because you're greedy, money grabbing faggots?

ND

HSC
withoutaface said:
Because you're greedy, money grabbing faggots?
No, because some people have ambition and want to do something with their lives. But then of course there will always be those that are lazy and unintelligent. :rolleyes:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
There's always alot of people who move from the bigger firms into the smaller firms, and vice versa. In the past I think it was alot of people started big and moved out, but nowadays, there's alot of travel in both directions.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
ND said:
No, because some people have ambition and want to do something with their lives. But then of course there will always be those that are lazy and unintelligent. :rolleyes:
Why do you let your emotion get the better of you. Waf's trolling. duh. Even if your comment was serious, people in smaller firms don't lack ambition, and are certainly not unintelligent nor lazy from the small number of people I know who work at smaller firms for various reasons.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
All comes down to personality really. Not everyone aspires to work in a big organisation. Some people prefer smaller environments where you work in a much tighter knit group, smaller clients, better recognition of achievements, etc...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
seremify007 said:
All comes down to personality really. Not everyone aspires to work in a big organisation. Some people prefer smaller environments where you work in a much tighter knit group, smaller clients, better recognition of achievements, etc...
I know of someone personally who chose a top mid-tier over a Big 4.

Conspirocy

HSC
hahaha i did that, and then its apparently going to merge with a big 4 firm...my luck

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Conspirocy said:
hahaha i did that, and then its apparently going to merge with a big 4 firm...my luck
LOL. Horwath?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
redruM said:
I know of someone personally who chose a top mid-tier over a Big 4.
He went for the smaller penis!?

ND

HSC
velox said:
Why do you let your emotion get the better of you. Waf's trolling. duh. Even if your comment was serious, people in smaller firms don't lack ambition, and are certainly not unintelligent nor lazy from the small number of people I know who work at smaller firms for various reasons.
I know he's trolling, but i'll never resist the chance to take a shot at a dumbass. :D The comment was directed at withoutaface, and not people working in smaller firms. In fact, the biggest earners anywhere in the world work in small firms (such as hedge funds).

Clearly there's nothing wrong with working in a small firm. Most people want to work in a large firms starting out because larger firms have a higher intake at the grad level (whereas smaller prestigious boutiques rarely recruit at the grad level), good training programs and are a good stepping stone to other areas/firms.

turtleface

HSC
Its a fact (at least I think so) that the women are better in the mid tiers.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
It depends on the industry.

For a grad role, I would go to Carnegie over Macquarie in a heartbeat.

Can I say that for Benson's vs. PwC? Nope

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)