Why does UNSW Engineering have different WAM weightings for different level courses? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I think it is crap tbh.

All subjects should have equal weight (like they do in commerce). Not:

10% first year
20% second year
30% third year
40% fourth year

If a person goes really well at first year subjects, they should be rewarded. It shouldn't be worth less just because the concepts are relatively easier. If someone is a hard worker from the very start of university then they should be rewarded. It would certainly stop (well, not entirely, but it would minimise) the whole "i'll try harder next semester" mentality. When you finish the degree it will not even show if you did really good or really bad at first year.

Last edited:

halapenyo

HSC
Re: Why does UNSW Engineering have different WAM weightings for different level cours

does this happen in unsw commerce as well? i like this system. allows you to settle into uni.

HSC
N/A
Re: Why does UNSW Engineering have different WAM weightings for different level cours

does this happen in unsw commerce as well? i like this system. allows you to settle into uni.
I am fairly sure commerce has equal weight for all subjects, but don't quote me on that.

jblack01

HSC

I've been told that this % thing only counts towards your WAM for your honours. In eng u have 2 WAMS; your WAM for your overall course that has equal weighting for every year and your honours WAM that has different weightings. THe honours WAM is obviously the WAM that will determine what class honours you will do, if any.

D94

HSC
N/A

Could you link us to where this is stated?

aspie central: high school nonsense thread
HSC

I think it is crap tbh.

All subjects should have equal weight (like they do in commerce). Not:

10% first year
20% second year
30% third year
40% fourth year

If a person goes really well at first year subjects, they should be rewarded. It shouldn't be worth less just because the concepts are relatively easier. If someone is a hard worker from the very start of university then they should be rewarded. It would certainly stop (well, not entirely, but it would minimise) the whole "i'll try harder next semester" mentality. When you finish the degree it will not even show if you did really good or really bad at first year.
you answered your own question dumbie

also you are rewarded but according to effort and difficulty

I'm not sure why you're so miffed at this concept, if you are a 'hard worker' across the years why should you care
you could kind of compare it to the scaling system in the hsc
a 90 in food tech is not comparable to a 90 in MX2 raw so why shouldn't scaling/weighting even it out

also ofc it shows up on your transcript, it'll still say HD

HSC
N/A

you answered your own question dumbie
also you are rewarded but according to effort and difficulty

I'm not sure why you're so miffed at this concept, if you are a 'hard worker' across the years why should you care
you could kind of compare it to the scaling system in the hsc
a 90 in food tech is not comparable to a 90 in MX2 raw so why shouldn't scaling/weighting even it out

also ofc it shows up on your transcript, it'll still say HD
As if you are qualified to comment. This is your first semester of university noob.

aspie central: high school nonsense thread
HSC

As if you are qualified to comment. This is your first semester of university noob.
haha OH dear

it appears the university didn't inform me that the number of semesters attended can qualify or disqualify me to make rational comments (especially it seems to irrational people)
maybe I should go to student services and ask for the brochure

let me just ask you

what do you hope to achieve with this thread besides an outlet to bitch and moan
do you want sympathy
do you want attention
I'm sorry if my comment wasn't "yeah i know uni is so dumb!!!2! you are so right fortune cookie!2!!"

you seem quite immature

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)