Why does hand made Mochi go off so quickly? (1 Viewer)

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
my host family sent me some they made over the new year but they got here off? maybe it had something to do with the aussie quarantine. meh, how disappointing. the store bought ones dont taste the same

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
i thought you guys would have heard about it but anyways here is a link i found thru google

http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/folklore/folk15/Cindy Wong/home.html

its basically pounded rice cake made around the new year. in the old days it was made by hand but now they have machines, a bit like bread makers and rice cookers

you fry and eat it with soy sauce or you can boil it and have it with soup noodles. its pretty sticky so people die from choking on it every year

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ask them for the recipe so you can make it yourself

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Oh THAT thing! I love that stuff. Yeah, it's sweet and it's starch, which equals fast decay. Not to mention it's moist. The recipe idea is probably your best call.

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
i think you need the actual machine to make it yourself which is a problem, i dunno how much they would cost let alone where to find it in sydney. i guess id have to trek up north to where the japanese stores are :(

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i don't think you need the machine? i have a family friend who makes it and gives them to us. it might not be the proper traditional thing though, i'm not sure.

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
yeah but then you'd need the big wooden pole that u use to pound the stuff and i dont know where i could find one

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
You could make one. Ask your school if they'll let you use the wood room. If you're like me the teacher will be like "hell yeah, you're more responsible than students anyway".

Rather, ask your host family to explain how they make the stuff (rather than just the recipe). That way you can find out what kind of stuff you need. Failing that, find a website on it. :)

Last edited:

jogloran

Originally posted by Lexicographer
You could make one. Ask your school if they'll let you use the wood room. If you're like me the teacher will be like "hell yeah, you're more responsible than students anyway".
'PVA and sawdust mochi' isn't the best flavour anyway.

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by frodo
yeah but then you'd need the big wooden pole that u use to pound the stuff and i dont know where i could find one
just use a smaller pole to pound it and use more force? :p
You don't need a big wooden pole (you're being too traditional), cos most Japanese families don't just have a big, clean, wooden pole hanging around waiting to be used to make mochi..

HSC
N/A
Mochi rawks! I would assume, since it is home-made, it is free of nasty preservatives. We make it ourselves. ^^;; Had some the other day.

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Would you be able to post the recipe for us? Please? :D
First, you'll need some mochi to make 'mochi' - it's one of the ingredients. If you can get that, explaining the rest will be easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)