Why does hand made Mochi go off so quickly? (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Anyway, back on topic. I was at chatswood today and saw some prepackaged mochi. Wonderful stuff, mochi. You can get it there I suppose.

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
hmm probably hurstville. oatley actually has a train station which is surprising althought not many trains actually stop

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hurstville... I can't think of a big group of Japanese people who would live nearby... Well, you could get some luck around Kingsford, but...

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by frodo
hmm probably hurstville. oatley actually has a train station which is surprising althought not many trains actually stop
try the Sushi Train at Hurstville then. They're sure to have some mochi hiding somewhere.

Originally posted by Lexicographer
Hurstville... I can't think of a big group of Japanese people who would live nearby... Well, you could get some luck around Kingsford, but...
I won't say Kingsford's (racial) nickname, but let's just say that it's predominantly Chinese/HK students. I haven't come across many Koreans or Japanese in Kingsford. There isn't even one dedicated Japanese restaurant in Kingsford either - the closest is a combined Korean & Japanese restaurant, called "Pinnochio's".

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Interesting name! A Japanese/Korean restaurant named after the abysmally stupid protagonist of a German fairytale! Smashing. :D

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
i had mochi yesterday, it was good... not great... it had a lot of flour on it for some reason?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah, because Mochi is gelatinous. If you don't cover it with flower it'll stick to itself and form this giant blob. Not nearly so nice. :)

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Interesting name! A Japanese/Korean restaurant named after the abysmally stupid protagonist of a German fairytale! Smashing. :D
Indeed. I thought the combination of a Japanese and Korean restaurant was startling enough.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Apparently they are quite common. I have to be careful talking about them though. Many Koreans are offended by the theory that their popular culture "piggybacks" that of Japan, to the point that their emigrants must tack "Japanese" onto their own cultural icons (such as food) in order to effectively sell it.

Very sad, really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)