Why do people hate religion? (1 Viewer)

chemicalex

HSC
cheesman said:
Why dont people hate aethism, over religion?
I guess because it has things that never work out in real life as homer said once lol.
If you’re an atheist you’re more free and you don’t have to worry about what pleases god and what doesn’t.
In Christianity god tells them not to kill, yet he orders them to behead babies which is what they believe as a loving god. They also believe that if you don’t hear about Jesus you can never go to heaven…so all those poor suckers in African jungles cannot go to heaven because they never heard about the what so called Jesus.
In Islam they tell you it’s a peaceful religion yet in their Quran it clearly says that Christians are infidels and they should be killed… as peaceful as the sound of water in rivers.
Offcourse many Muslims will deny it, but Arabic is one of the languages I can speak so I can hit them with few verses that will shut them up.

My 2 cents

In deserted outskirts of sinister reasoning, thou
HSC
Einstein:
Well, I do not think that it is necessarily the case that science and religion are natural opposites. In fact, I think that there is a very close connection between the two. Further, I think that science without religion is lame and, conversely, that religion without science is blind.

Einstein:
But I sense these things deeply. What I cannot understand is how there could possibly be a God who would reward or punish his subjects or who could induce us to develop our will in our daily life.

Einstein:
No, the natural laws of science have not only been worked out theoretically but have been proven also in practice. I cannot then believe in this concept of an anthropomorphic God who has the powers of interfering with these natural laws.

He is a genius, and yet he is a fool. It's such a shame... if only I could have met the man.

What do you guys think? Einstein basically had respect for religion yet he could not find the link to 'God' and the creation of the laws of science.

gerhard

HSC
The Logical One said:
He is a genius, and yet he is a fool.
Wasnt someone complaining about the arrogance of religious people abit back?

L

littlewing69

The Logical One said:
What do you guys think? Einstein basically had respect for religion yet he could not find the link to 'God' and the creation of the laws of science.
I think his ideas were a lot more subtle than that.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
The Logical One said:
Einstein:
Well, I do not think that it is necessarily the case that science and religion are natural opposites. In fact, I think that there is a very close connection between the two. Further, I think that science without religion is lame and, conversely, that religion without science is blind.

Einstein:
But I sense these things deeply. What I cannot understand is how there could possibly be a God who would reward or punish his subjects or who could induce us to develop our will in our daily life.

Einstein:
No, the natural laws of science have not only been worked out theoretically but have been proven also in practice. I cannot then believe in this concept of an anthropomorphic God who has the powers of interfering with these natural laws.

He is a genius, and yet he is a fool. It's such a shame... if only I could have met the man.

Einstein:

"I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it."

bshoc

HSC
N/A
lengy said:
You can start by keeping your pro-fascism, anti-abortion ideals to yourself.
Now now I was talking about religion, abortion and fascism (where the hell did u get that from?) are hardly religious issues for me - I dont want to live in a society that murders children, and all it takes is a correction to the excesses of the hippy generations - and if you do, go to China or North Korea.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
No where near 30%. Non-religious may be around 30% but those willing to claim absolutely no belief in God is generally much lower.
Whatever, its still a sizeable amount.

No, I'm not claiming to have the answer. I'm merely claiming that non-belief is a more justified position than belief.
Going by Pascal's wager its the other way around actually.

Of course 'I don't know' will always be the most justified position and I do acknowledge that I will never be 100% certain, but that matters little because there is... extremely little that I can be 100% certain about. There is no evidence for God, I am willing to call myself a God non-believer. There is no evidence for Santa, I am willing to call myself a Santa non-believer.
Santa has never been professed as a diety. I think your biggest problem is that you're applying a percentage scale to something that is has an infinite probability. What if the creator was neither god nor non-god, how can you even begin to profess and declare something that is so completely out of the range of the human mind?

No... It's easy for me to make a supernatural explanation. See, Santa wanted people to know of his existance, so he planted the idea magically inside of various people. It is not an entirely different prospect, whenever you are dealing with ANYTHING claimed to be supernatural it cannot be verified.
Cannot be verified by the methods you consider to be acceptable you mean, no offence but science has lost so many subfields and has been rewritten so many times one could hardly rely on it with any genuine belief in eternal correctness.

No... It's not because you DON'T tow the 'anti-religious, lefty progressive crap', it's because you DO tow the 'religious, conservative crap' that I suspect you believe in a God.
I'm only towing my line, and notice that both christians and atheists become hostile to those who do not share their view - to me it will always seems as .. same bullsh*t, different assholes

You're telling me you don't have an inkling either way, or that you don't have an emotional belief?
I'm telling you that I am not arrogant enough to publically spout my beliefs without proof, be they one way or the other.

No, I am quite aware that I can never be 100% certain of just about anything, but that doesn't stop me taking logical positions.
You cannot apply logic where no conclusive evidence or result exists - think Schrodinger's cat, except even more uncertain as we dont even have information about the population, let alone its relative probability.

I'm not 100% certain that I am male, hell maybe I'm just hooked into a computer in some lab experiment, being made to believe that in that 'virtual reality' I am male - but I'm not going to take a 'i don't know' position on that, am I?
Again thats something which can be verified, not saying that it will, but it can - what I'm arguing is that the atheist argument itself CAN'T be verified.

lengy

HSC
China and North Korea are hardly advocates of democracy. Why don't you go live in a theocratic dictatorship where abortion is abolished as well as all your other rights?

bshoc

HSC
N/A
lengy said:
China and North Korea are hardly advocates of democracy. Why don't you go live in a theocratic dictatorship where abortion is abolished as well as all your other rights?
Becuase abortion is not a right, it is a violation of national and international law and should be stopped.

http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/k2crc.htm

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Article 6[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]1. States Parties recognize that every child has the inherent right to life.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]2. States Parties shall ensure to the maximum extent possible the survival and development of the child.[/FONT]

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Whatever, its still a sizeable amount.
No... It's not... It's something like 4-5% in Australia.

Going by Pascal's wager its the other way around actually.
Who said anything about that junk logic?

Santa has never been professed as a diety. I think your biggest problem is that you're applying a percentage scale to something that is has an infinite probability. What if the creator was neither god nor non-god, how can you even begin to profess and declare something that is so completely out of the range of the human mind?
A SUPERNATURAL Santa is also completely out of the range of the human mind, it does not matter that no one professes santa as a diety. Seriously what you have to understand about the analogy between X supernatural entity and Y supernatural entity, is that the ONLY thing that needs to be true for both is that they're not falsifiable.

You CANNOT disprove the existance of a magical santa claus, or a magic cow floating around mars, or that our existance is all a dream ANYMORE than you can that God exists - yet almost everyone will not claim agnosticism about such things. In situations where you have no concievable way of proving something either way, the posibility of it being true bursts open all currently known logic/knowledge and requires many more wild assumption(s)... then it is fairly safe to say 'it is not true'.

So yea... Being an agnostic is always going to be the more easily justifiable position. I can admit that I don't have all knowledge, so if you want to be really technical I'm an agnostic. The only way I could not would be if I knew something for certain... which really, I don't. Whenever human beings make a claim about something existing, it is generally accepted that evidence of its existance will be needed, or it's fair enough to say it doesn't exist.

Cannot be verified by the methods you consider to be acceptable you mean
Well yes. I would argue that it cannot be verified via scientific method at all, but hey maybe it can and I'm just very silly.

no offence but science has lost so many subfields and has been rewritten so many times one could hardly rely on it with any genuine belief in eternal correctness.
I don't believe in its 'eternal correctness'... that doesn't even matter to me. What matters to me is that science represents the best knowledge we have, at the time.

I'm only towing my line, and notice that both christians and atheists become hostile to those who do not share their view - to me it will always seems as .. same bullsh*t, different assholes
I'm 'hostile' to you because you're;

a) a hostile person yourself,
b) hold views that I really don't like.

I'm telling you that I am not arrogant enough to publically spout my beliefs without proof, be they one way or the other.
And I'm telling you that you ALREADY do spout beliefs that cannot be proven 100%, especially if we're willing to throw supernatural explanations into the equation. You say you're male? I say you're just a program in a computer made to think you're male - or a fairy has magically fooled you into thinking so. Surely you're not agnostic about that, you just reject it.

Again thats something which can be verified, not saying that it will, but it can - what I'm arguing is that the atheist argument itself CAN'T be verified.
No, it can't be verified. You cannot verify against ANY supernatural claims.

You cannot apply logic where no conclusive evidence or result exists
No conclusive evidence exists for anything once we start allowing supernatural claims into the equation.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
robbie1 said:
For your information, I read the Bible everyday.

I ask you again to read the Ten Commandments (God's rules which must be followed if you are a Christian) and tell me which of them say war is OK.
So you're to tell me you've never lied or disrespected your mother?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
bshoc said:
Becuase abortion is not a right, it is a violation of national and international law and should be stopped.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]1. States Parties recognize that every child has the inherent right to life.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]2. States Parties shall ensure to the maximum extent possible the survival and development of the child.[/FONT]
Did they define "child" in that text?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Scientology is a religion. So are various crazy spaceship cults.

Moral: people will believe anything.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
bshoc said:

The law with regards to abortion varies from country to country. On the international level abortion is certainly not illegal - in fact the UN often advocates it and is even looking towards making abortion both legal and a human right.

Nelg

HSC
The question whay do people hate religion?

The answer people hate what they dont understand or what they choose not to belive in its human nature to question life in general and the sad thing is that if someone dosent agree with your point of view on this subject they will normaly hate it.

yy

HSC
N/A
i don't think atheism and religion are mutually exclusive. correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought buddhism is an atheistic religion?

also for people who believe in a god/s, why do you believe in that god/s and not some other god/s? do you have evidence that a god/s would possess that particular characteristics?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought buddhism is an atheistic religion?
No I do believe they have what people would call 'gods'. But there are religious beliefs that don't come into conflict with atheism, depending on how you want to define a God. Some people believe God is nature.... well... maybe I believe that too? I don't really know.

SarahMary

*Procrastination Central*
HSC
bshoc said:
The one thing that's more annoying than the religious christians are the anti-religious people, they dont notice it by they try to impose their beliefs more forcefully than the average christian, and have an illogical overt hatred of christianity because they percieve it to be oppressive.
So of the 30% of people you claim are non-religious, they all act like this??
I don't believe in a religion myself, because it doesn't fit in with the way I perceive the world or myself. However, I have no problem with people who are religious. Friends from highschool are daughters of a reverend and a pastor. I've attended church with them when they've invited me. Clearly not every person (and I doubt it's 30%) who doesnt believe in religion, is like this. People don't fit into categories that easily

L

littlewing69

yy said:
i don't think atheism and religion are mutually exclusive. correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought buddhism is an atheistic religion?
I'm told that some Buddhists are atheist

But there are religious beliefs that don't come into conflict with atheism, depending on how you want to define a God.
Definitely. Taoism, spiritism, animism etc can all be atheistic in the sense that they don't propose a supreme being.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)