Why do people hate religion? (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I agree the thread is constructed poorly, in reference to the thread title and the question it asks in its initial post, far removed from "hating a religion".

Being non-religious does not mean you hate religion.

As well as that, "hating" or "not approving" religion is not exclusive to atheists and agnostics.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
agentprovocater said:
A good post. I'm still in a state of ambiguity...religion or no religion? i dont focus on it 24/7 but sometimes when alone I will ponder these things...whether im doing right or wrong being not-so-religious...but then I identify with my religious group...does that make me a hyocrite..??? Like, i wouldn't denounce my religon or abandon the faith etc, but then not devoted either.

Ambivalence.
its very important to be open-minded to everything and of course to apply common sense.

it would be simply to pray when someone outside is calling for help. at the same time u need control and discipline and religion helps with this - it only helps.

but really wat religion tries to say - is basically to follow laws without questioning them. which is fundamentally wrong. well religion doesnt actually say this but the society tends to because they of fear basically. its a bit complex.

K

katie_tully

Quite frankly it's because I find it hard to BELIEVE IN SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T EXIST.

AND because I don't need to read a collection of bullshit stories in an attempt to give my life validity.
No, I can do that with a nice bottle of sparkling champers. Which for the last 7 months I have only been able to peek at, longingly.

Perhaps it appears as though my life has no validity at the moment. OH WOE IS ME GOD, SMITE ME OH SMITIEST ONE.

Charli-lou

HSC
because it is misrepresented...
i think that people should not pass judgement out of ignorance...
the existance between wright and wrong, good and evil, light and darkness is undeniable in our world...
an analogy about subjective truth verses uunivarsal truth...you can beleive with everything in you that if you drop a television out of a window it will fly...that CAN be your person truth, but this theory is disproven by practice...
humans are humans, we sin, were not always great and yet some "religious" people act like they are super-spiro, sub-human miracles to this earth and that they art so higheth and mightieth...this can create a complex in others, feeling that they could never be perfect and thus never be religious...
let me tell you, i am NOT perfect and not religious but i have a relationship with God cos of Jesus...and you can choose to disregard faith, truth etc, but consider if it is God that you hate or religious attitudes and stigmas...
xo

Charli-lou

HSC
haha, mate i dont even know what quantam watsit is hey...
yeh...the light n dark thing, ok, oversimplifying, valid...ive gotta stop bein metaphorical...
you say God doesnt exist....well i have seen undeniable evidence in my life that he infact does...can you disprove that???? cos i have had doubts- but i can not even prove to myself that there is not a God

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
you say God doesnt exist....well i have seen undeniable evidence in my life that he infact does...can you disprove that????
What was this undeniable evidence, if you tell me some specifics other than just alude to it I'm sure I can disprove it as being undeniable evidence.

K

katie_tully

lolz. I don't know how many of you have seen the '700 Club' on the Christian channel, but it makes me lolerchortle.

Basically some arse clown makes a premonition about somebody in the world having some 'ailment', and then a bunch of people hold hands and pray for that person, and a week later some viewer sends a letter in saying 'OMG I HAD THAT EXACT SAME AILMENT AND NOW I AM CURED OMG TEH LORD EXISTS!'

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
katie_tully said:
lolz. I don't know how many of you have seen the '700 Club' on the Christian channel, but it makes me lolerchortle.

Basically some arse clown makes a premonition about somebody in the world having some 'ailment', and then a bunch of people hold hands and pray for that person, and a week later some viewer sends a letter in saying 'OMG I HAD THAT EXACT SAME AILMENT AND NOW I AM CURED OMG TEH LORD EXISTS!'
Praise the lord!

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
katie_tully said:

The christian channel is really entertaining sometimes. I like that youth type show hosted by a guy with a moustache. Some hip kid will be holding a guitar and thinking about girls, but then we loves jesus some and he plays some righteous god music and his life is great and he isn't tempted by worldly lust. Or so I understand it.
I also love Joel Osteen and his Texas Megachurch. It's like they grabbed all the trailer parks in Dallas and emptied all the people into a sports stadium where another redneck talks about having a lot of money when you read the bible.
I wish I was a christian.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
katie_tully said:

well that sort of stuff happens everywhere, corruption misusing resources, using religions as an excuse, using it to get money etc.

like a scientist would ask for grant for to do some ridiculous study that has no benefit to world, society or anyone except himself whatsover? how many research studies have been conducted on stupid things that result in stupid conclusions - isnt that waste of time and resources - givin ppl a wrong impression?

i mean the people who follow these lets say psychics things have no life - or they severly depressed and need something to do that well give a false impression of happiness. if religion wasnt there - i am sure they would done something else just as stupid.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
HotShot said:
well that sort of stuff happens everywhere, corruption misusing resources, using religions as an excuse, using it to get money etc.

like a scientist would ask for grant for to do some ridiculous study that has no benefit to world, society or anyone except himself whatsover? how many research studies have been conducted on stupid things that result in stupid conclusions - isnt that waste of time and resources - givin ppl a wrong impression?
Actually getting a grant from the government to further your studies is harder than you think, and I'm pretty sure that "no benefit to the world except himself" would have zero chance of getting a grant, despite how they disguise the purpose...

if religion wasnt there - i am sure they would done something else just as stupid.
I just want to focus on this statement.

I agree about your statement about religion and if it didn't exist. Your scientist example, well its materialism, and in my opinion, its not a very deep purpose to live.

Although, "doing something else" besides religion isn't always stupid... for example, a secular person who pulled themselves from a domestically violent family may strive to break the chain and aim to be a good parent.. This can give them meaning in life. It has nothing to do with religion, but it gives them meaning, a goal, potential happiness and a purpose to live.

I may have overanalysed what may have been just a passing statement of yours!

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Actually getting a grant from the government to further your studies is harder than you think, and I'm pretty sure that "no benefit to the world except himself" would have zero chance of getting a grant, despite how they disguise the purpose...

I just want to focus on this statement.

I agree about your statement about religion and if it didn't exist. Your scientist example, well its materialism, and in my opinion, its not a very deep purpose to live.

Although, "doing something else" besides religion isn't always stupid... for example, a secular person who pulled themselves from a domestically violent family may strive to break the chain and aim to be a good parent.. This can give them meaning in life. It has nothing to do with religion, but it gives them meaning, a goal, potential happiness and a purpose to live.

I may have overanalysed what may have been just a passing statement of yours!
hmm.

look at this way - there is a stupid person - he/she is stupid - cant help it.
Religion exists - the stupid person does stupid stuff with religion.
Religion doesnt exist - the stupid still does something stupid.

so basically stupid ppl will be stupid regardless of religion. people will be stupid regardless of religon.

materialism is what nonsense busllshit religious stuff on tv is - make money!

dracnom

HSC
what i don't get is " Religion exists - the stupid person does stupid stuff with religion." whats that suppose to mean???

religion is [SIZE=-1]"an organized system of faith and worship", so the stupid man would be taught about this and that so he gains knowledge and not become stupid in some ways...
[/SIZE]

HotShot

-_-
HSC
dracnom said:
what i don't get is " Religion exists - the stupid person does stupid stuff with religion." whats that suppose to mean???

religion is [SIZE=-1]"an organized system of faith and worship", so the stupid man would be taught about this and that so he gains knowledge and not become stupid in some ways...
[/SIZE]
U know one of the geniueses of all time is also one of the most stupid person of alltime - Albert Einstein - the fag who created the A-bomb.

Just become ur taught something doesnt make necessarily make u smarter, more intelligent or even more stupid? its what you do with ur knowledge that matters.

that person miht have been taught about his/her religion but he is still stupid if he goes to one of those ridiculous tv shows.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Ah, is this an opportunity to critique the nature of reading, the way in which religion is spread and taught (so that inconsistencies arise)?

Because I would love that.

But another answer: it's human nature.

HSC
HotShot said:
U know one of the geniueses of all time is also one of the most stupid person of alltime - Albert Einstein - the fag who created the A-bomb.

Just become ur taught something doesnt make necessarily make u smarter, more intelligent or even more stupid? its what you do with ur knowledge that matters.

that person miht have been taught about his/her religion but he is still stupid if he goes to one of those ridiculous tv shows.
I have a new word for you: irony
Albert Einstein did not create the A-bomb.
Stupid.

K

katie_tully

I also don't get the bit where Albert Einstein was both stupid and a genius. And what it has to do with religion.

Albert composed twinkle, twinkle, little star. That takes god damn talent you git.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ElendilPeredhil said:
I have a new word for you: irony
Albert Einstein did not create the A-bomb.
Stupid.
It was einstein who developed the underlying theory, and it was him who wrote the letter the president asking them to reasearch and build it.

IF it wasnt einstein letters and his work - defintely now there wouldnt have been an A-bomb. The germans were nowwhere near developing the A-bomb it was just all rumours.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
katie_tully said:
I also don't get the bit where Albert Einstein was both stupid and a genius. And what it has to do with religion.

Albert composed twinkle, twinkle, little star. That takes god damn talent you git.
and he was stupid to come up with it.

K

katie_tully

How can you definitively say that if Einstien didn't research molecular behaviour there would be no A bomb? Einstein wasn't the only scientist researching atoms, nor was the development of the bomb based purely on his findings alone.

As for your last comment, Einstein was 5 when he composed it. You were still digging nuggets from your nappy and eating them at 5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)