• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why do people hate religion? (2 Viewers)

robbie1

HSC
Dumsum said:
Probably more people have been killed in the name of the now christian God (who before Jesus obviously wasn't the "christian" God, but same God nonetheless).
No, anyone "killed in the name of God" was not killed by a Christian.

Those guilty of such acts may have called themselves 'Christians'....but they ignored the most important aspect of Christianity - to love your neighbour.

Also, Do not commit murder is one of the Ten Commandments. So dont go blaming 'Christians' for "killing in the name of God" because if they do that it completely contradicts Christianity, therefore they are not acting "in the name of God."

God is about love and mercy, not murder.

By stating that people have "killed in the name of God" you are implying that God is OK with such acts. You are wrong.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
robbie1 said:
- People like the idea of being their own 'gods'

- People enjoy the idea of doing things without feeling guilty (i.e pre-marital sex, abortion etc)

- People think they are more 'intelligent' than believers because they 'think for themselves'

- Tragic life events...people blame God

- Satan is strong and easily manipulates those who don't believe he exists

- Religion tells some what they don't want to hear (i.e how abortion is murder, life is sacred - people like fucking like rabbits without facing the consequences)

Hmmmm thats all I can think of right now. Now go ahead, laugh, ridicule and mock me. Im waiting :)
Yeah, people are atheists because they blame god. The one which they believe doesn't exist. Fantastic logic there. People are going to laugh, ridicule and mock you because what you are saying is stupid. I might as well say "Jesus was a viking who enjoyed eating vampires whilst celebrating easter. NOW LAUGH RIDICULE AND MOCK ME, even though I'm really really right and you're all sinners who are going to hell.
moron.

robbie1

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
None of those reasons are why I personally have no relationship with God.
They dont apply to everyone, and there are many more than those I mentioned off the top of my head.

cheesman

HSC
oi, dont bag him out.

and i think he meant bad things turn people away from believing in God, cause since he didnt stop them he supposedly musnt exist.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
robbie1 said:

Those guilty of such acts may have called themselves 'Christians'....but they ignored the most important aspect of Christianity - to love your neighbour.

Also, Do not commit murder is one of the Ten Commandments. So dont go blaming 'Christians' for "killing in the name of God" because if they do that it completely contradicts Christianity, therefore they are not acting "in the name of God."

Murder is interpreted in so many ways by christians. It's crazy. I wish I was surrounded by all those tolerant christians who loved their neighbours, instead of wishing to shoot them because they are homosexual (no that was not an exaggeration)

robbie1

HSC
dieburndie said:
Yeah, people are atheists because they blame god. The one which they believe doesn't exist. Fantastic logic there. moron.
Actually, I never said people are atheists because they blame God. I said one of the reasons people hate religion is because they blame God for tragedies.

Who's the moron now?

cheesman

HSC
thats an example of wat he said right there
people who claim to be christian but dont love and dont live it up
those ppl are all talk so dont even think they are christian.

robbie1

HSC
brogan77 said:
Um, I'm sorry but you're wrong. Someone can kill in the name of God and in the act of doing so sacrifice the right to call themselves a Christian, but that does not mitigate the fact that the causal belief, however erroneous, for them to commit such an act comes from their Christianity and perception that it was right and just to do such an act in God's eyes.
Please explain.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
robbie1 said:
Actually, I never said people are atheists because they blame God. I said one of the reasons people hate religion is because they blame God for tragedies.

Who's the moron now?
Alright my mistake, I thought you were responding to the post above yours by cheesman ("why don't people hate atheism")
I don't blame god for tragedies. I blame the absence of god for tragedies.

lengy

HSC
The Old Testament God condoned genocide.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
People commonly dont have a religion these days, this thread is for all the athiests, existentialists and people who are religion confused, why don't you have a religion? Religious people? No time? Being pressured by religious people?
It has very little to do with how I feel about a God, the people in that religion or the particular religion(s) themselves. If a God (or God's) does exist, even if it is a God that I do not like, I want to find it and learn about it. I am using the best reason, logic and capability I have at hand to do so and I am genuinely quite interested.

I don't believe in anything supernatural, simply because there is no evidence for it... thus I don't think it exists. Why don't you believe other supernatural claims that people make, either religious or otherwise? - Probably the same reason I don't believe yours.

As for hating religion... I wouldn't say I do hate religion, I just hate pain. Sometimes religion causes that pain, other times it helps. I also do not consider religion in a different category from people that believe snake oils will cure cancer or that praying will help them heal faster. It is all the same thing, beliefs without evidence that can lead to problems when they come into conflict with reality.

robbie1

HSC
dieburndie said:
Alright my mistake, I thought you were responding to the post above yours by cheesman ("why don't people hate atheism")
I don't blame god for tragedies. I blame the absence of god for tragedies.
Thats OK.

And Im sorry you feel that way about God.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Can I ask the religious people in this thread how many of you consider yourself tolerant? and how much?

lengy

HSC
You're asking a fruitcake how much fruit is in it?

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
It's not that I don't have a religion (technically I'm a Catholic), but I have conflicting beliefs, sort of.
Like, I like to believe that there is some supernatural being that keeps watch on everyone, which makes me comfortable when things go bad.
But I do not believe in the Bible or any other religious stories. And although I'd like to think that there is some sort of "God", there is no way I would ever put all my faith in something I can't be sure exists... yeah, does that make sense...I don't even know what I'm saying anymore.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
robbie1 said:

By stating that people have "killed in the name of God" you are implying that God is OK with such acts. You are wrong.
This is a case of semantics. Whether they were christian or not is irrelavent--they thought they were (also remember there were no christians before Jesus' time), and still used the "name" of the same God. Northern Ireland springs to mind as a modern example.

Just because the people are wrong doesn't mean the God is.

Edit: WTF? I post and then there's 50million posts before me, brogan's saying just what I said. oh well.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
- People like the idea of being their own 'gods'
Well actually, I don't think they do. You see, the problem with a belief that only you have (i.e. that you are napoleon bonaparte) is a very lonely belief because there's no one there to re-inforce it. It's also wrong because Atheists don't believe they're their own God's and even if they did wouldn't they still prefer to believe that their dead loved ones are still alive? That they will live on after death? All humans (generally) have these wants, I want it bad and I'm atheist.

People enjoy the idea of doing things without feeling guilty (i.e pre-marital sex, abortion etc)
More-so than they enjoy the idea of eternal life for everyone, including themselves?

- People think they are more 'intelligent' than believers because they 'think for themselves'
Same can be said for some (or most that I encounter) believers.

Tragic life events...people blame God
I think you'll find most people that have suffered tragic life events turn to God, not away. Anyway just because you dislike God is no reason to not believe, I dislike the idea that I'm not a super-stud millionaire - but hey, that's reality.

So you're talking about theists that hate religion? If not, then I'm sorry but it's impossible for an atheist to hate religion because they blame God for tragedies.

- Satan is strong and easily manipulates those who don't believe he exists
Can you prove, if satan is so strong that you are not his pawn?

- Religion tells some what they don't want to hear (i.e how abortion is murder, life is sacred - people like fucking like rabbits without facing the consequences)
Modern religion... for the most part... tells people EXACTLY what they want to hear, you couldn't be more wrong. Look at religion throughout the ages and you will clearly see that it's been a case of the shepard following the flock. You couldn't be more wrong.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)