Who was born in australia? (1 Viewer)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lol .. i am ^^

im just curious. lol; oh and how much of cantonese / mandarin can u speak / read.

i can read jack all cantonese
but i can speak / listen to a basic amount of cantonese .. i know minimal mandarin.

sinist4

HSC
hey ... im born in australia.

well, i depneds wat u call reading cantoese, i can read words like 'one' LOL, does that count? :) , i guess i cant then.

can speak/listen basic amounts of it, onli use rarely, so its not as refined as you would think ...

i onli no canto, so yea...

lala2

Banned
HSC
I only know about 20 characters for Chinese (Mandarin), seriously--namely the numbers 1-10 (though I know how to count up to 99 inclusive), things like 'wo', 'ni', 'jia', 'shan' (mountain), etc. Ok, maybe 30. But not past that.

I can understand quite a fair bit of spoken Cantonese, but my speaking of Cantonese is terrible. I get the tones all wrong half the time, lol :shy: I know even less Mandarin. But it's good I know a little bit of both, so that when I learn a word for one, I can roughly deduce it from the other, e.g. small--siu or xiao, me--wo or nor, you--ni or lei, have--you or yow, etc.

EDIT: And yes, I'm born in Australia too. Doesn't help that my parents speak Malaysian Cantonese so there are some phrases in Guangzhou and Hong Kong Cantonese that they don't use. Otherwise, my parents are my main source of Cantonese listening.

lengy

HSC
I was born here. I consider myself mostly Australian. I was forced to learn Mandarin for 6 years but I'm horrible at it. I know a tiny bit of Cantonese from the few Hong Kong movies I've watched. My conversational Cantonese is better then my Mandarin. I know a few Chinese characters but know only how to write simple sentences, and probably not very grammatical at it either.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
I was born in australia. I can understand canto well, but i barely can speak it now, as it's very broken and consists of a lot of english lolz.

I use to speak flurently when i was younger :eek:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I was also born in Australia. I can speak canto pretty fluently and read/write a bit as well.

P

pLuvia

I wasn't born in Australia, but also wasn't born in an asian country ;) But I can speak relatively fluent cantonese and understand well, only know the chinese characters I learn in Japanese :D
No nothing of mandarin

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
pLuvia said:
I wasn't born in Australia, but also wasn't born in an asian country ;) But I can speak relatively fluent cantonese and understand well, only know the chinese characters I learn in Japanese :D
No nothing of mandarin
ZOMG YANK!!! :p

yeah. ditto here dennis, my cantonese is broken up .. i use english when i don't knw how to say sumin. haha

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
The written language is Chinese. Mandarin and Cantonese are spoken dialects.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yep and you got your traditional chinese and simplified chinese
i can read some simplified but heaps more traditional
my speaking is better then my reading, and my reading is better than my writing
and i was hk born

ice ken

HSC
shinji said:
lol .. i am ^^

im just curious. lol; oh and how much of cantonese / mandarin can u speak / read.

i can read jack all cantonese
but i can speak / listen to a basic amount of cantonese .. i know minimal mandarin.
i wasnt born in australia

i am tieu chau cant say anyhting dont undastand

RGB

Custom User Title
HSC
I was born in Australia, I can speak Cantonese but can't write any Chinese at all. Most of my Cantonese comes from watching Television from Hong Kong lol, i can only read things like human, one, big and thats about all. :D My first post ever on this board!

I also listen to Cantonese music and some Mandarin music from Taiwan and China but mostly Taiwan. I help operate a board for Chinese people or asian people who is better at English than Chinese, the board is focused on Asian music and culture for Asians and Asians born in Western countries. Let me know if anyone is interested and i wil post the link (if allowed here)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Born in Australia.
I can speak like I was born in China, but my grammar is a bit flimsy... as in, the accent is great, but this is because my parents made a rule that they wouldn't respond to me unless I was speaking to them in Cantonese... which I suppose it great

They've tried countless times to teach me to read and write Cantonese... they probably should have started teaching me to when I was really young, rather than while I was 15, and probably should've persisted, rather than give me a crash course on how to read and write for one month, then not teach me for months after that.

So I can write my name... and I've been told my writing in Chinese is really beautiful, but no, can't read or write.

Oh, and when it comes to values and culture, I'm fairly selective with both, which my parents never quite liked. I have friends from various backgrounds, so I'm not exclusive to what people believe to be "either Asian" or "either *white* people". So none of those banana analogies really apply...

Last edited:

James747

HSC
Wasn't born in Australia, or Asia neither, but not a problem speaking Canto. Reading and writing is ok, I am better at reading cuz I can make sense from the sentence by looking at the "surrounding" words.

Mando..... sounds like a canto who hasn't spoken mando before. I just "twist" the sound of canto and make it sound mando.... XP

jeniii

HSC
shinji said:
ZOMG YANK!!! :p

yeah. ditto here dennis, my cantonese is broken up .. i use english when i don't knw how to say sumin. haha
ahaha chinglish or engrish XD

go the ABC's..!!!

chinese skool for 8 years .. i still cant even read the chinese newspapers. regret not paying attention then =/ i cant even sing in azn kareoke with out a bunch of pin yin lyrics =="" <3 karazen.com

i learn more chinese from listening to azn music than i did at skool ^^

501n2u

HSC
Born in aus =] and I'm canto but apparently my mando is better than my canto for pronounciation. Went to chinese school for like 8 years for mando since i was 4yrs old o_O and it was crap hahas i used to hate it so much, glad my parents FINALLY allowed me to quit. I learn most my chinese from TVBJ (watch it during dinner) and music ^^" hahas my reading and writing is so much better than my speaking because most the time even with my parents I'm speaking in english...a lot of the times I understand what people say whether it's canto/mando but I don't know how to word sentences properly because I think of it in english and then translate it lols

Collin

HSC
N/A
Wasn't born here.. moved to Sydney when I was 6. Have a perfect Mando accent, but vocab isn't too big since I never really went to Chinese school after coming here (SO regret that now). Hoping to finish Masters and eventually move back to Beijing (random huh?)

poOgee

HSC
Came to Australia when I was like 2 years old...
Speak canto/read Chinese everyday.... umm had Chinese school from year 7 to year 10... and I can understand mando, but it's harder to respond back =] hahaha

Davy Qian

HSC
yeah.....born in australia...learnt english until i was like 3. then my grandparents came over and i learnt chinese with a white boy accent. so in essence, i'm an asian who can speak mando but in a white boy accent..........so bad.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)