Who is afraid they won't get their subjects? (1 Viewer)

Niek

HSC
my school doesn't have lines or anything like that
if you want to do the subject, you can, regardless of number of students or anything
i guess i kinda took it for granted - didnt realise this doesn't happen at most schools!!:eek:

allira92

HSC
at my school, the year above me created timetables from scratch, they all had to list there howevr many subjects and backups and they made timetables that best suited. my year we had to do a draft subject selection and from that they made up the subject lines.

what they did so that Japanese could run was that they made sure that anybody who picked jap didnt have a subject clash on that line.

we had 7 lines,
1st english adv and std
the 6th and 7th line were one unit courses which meant at our school it was impossible to do MX1 EX1 and sor2.

all my subjects worked out perfectly which was good at the time although now i wish i could do others lol

x-Manda-x

HSC
lol @ lines of best fit. Reminds me of science.

I know some private schools actually create the timetables from scratch and try to accomadate as many people's first choices as possible.. Of course, it takes into account the number of people who apply for that subject; whether or not there are enough people to form 1 or 2 classes..
This is what my school does, and it isn't a private school. Basically we have just completed a survey, and we have upcoming interviews and during this process some poor person is creating next years lines, to best fit in everyone's first choices. Honestly I think this is a good idea, however it seems like a lot of work for the school to organise.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
my school doesn't have lines or anything like that
if you want to do the subject, you can, regardless of number of students or anything
i guess i kinda took it for granted - didnt realise this doesn't happen at most schools!!:eek:
Not fair... :( I would have chosen something other than music for my other subject then... probably something more fun!

Niek

HSC
Not fair... :( I would have chosen something other than music for my other subject then... probably something more fun!
yeah, thats seriously annoying that demand/lines/weird system determines what you do!!
i'm appreciating my school a whole lot more right now... don't know what i would do if i hadn't been able to do the subjects i am currently doing!

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
A lot of you are soo lucky that you get to choose your subjects from scratch. I just get this creeping fear that all the subjects I want are in one line or if i have to choose from a crap line for e.g
PDHPE, Food Technology, Industrial Arts, Primary Industries, Geography.

I think I would die if i had to choose from a line like that.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
We don't have lines at James Ruse. We just pick subjects and get allocated timetables based on those subjects. When I have Econmics, others people have Chem, others have 3U English etc. The only time the system has not worked is when you don't pick Maths. All Maths is run concurrently, so not picking it means that the timetable doesn't work.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Yeah, same. Subjects like English, Maths, Science and the Histories always run. We don't get lines.
In most cases, you will get the subjects you want.

Sculzyoner

HSC
Is this stuff more likely to have an impact in the Public system rather than the private system due to the numbers issue?

M

Mon-chan

lol @ lines of best fit. Reminds me of science.

I know some private schools actually create the timetables from scratch and try to accomadate as many people's first choices as possible.. Of course, it takes into account the number of people who apply for that subject; whether or not there are enough people to form 1 or 2 classes..

yep my school does this too :)

director of studies said that only about 1-3 people max in grade of 220+ might not get one of their first 4 preferences (in which case they give you your 5th. so basically for selection we choose from:

Mandatory adv. eng

Maths, General Maths, Geo, Modern History (must choose one)

then 5 more subjects (list in order of preference...)

then optional ext subjects/re.

good thing is, 'cos our grade is so big, most subjects have 2+ classes. geo has like 5 :L i bet mod history does too. all sciences have at least two-three.

rare to not get the subjects you want :)

M

Mon-chan

oh yeah, and they try to accomodate all students to the extent that eng/maths/latin ext have at least 1, usu 2 morning/afternoon classes per week (so like 7-8:05)

yeah, our latin teachers are really supportive.. they'll even tweak the timetable for yr 11/12 so they suit everybody in the class (only like 6-10 people)

if you do 14u at our school, you're basically trying to fit 50 periods into a 48 period timetable... really intense stuff, I don't think our school even allows us to do more e.g. 16u, unless you're doing philosophy

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Okay. I've received the lines a few days ago. I got 5 out of 6 of the subjects I originally wanted. I'm left with line 4. I don't know what to choose. Options are:
IPT
PDHPE
Food technology
Business Studies
VET Hospitality
Video Production
Sport, Life, Recreation

Which one should I choose? I already have 4 demanding subjects plus english. I want an easy going subject. Food technology is predicted to not go on. What should I pick? Any opinions?

cassieagill

HSC
naw my poor friend, 4 out of her 5 subjects clashed, so she only got to do 2 of her original subject selections, she cried for days :( over half my year level had clashes (i wasn't one of them thank god) because our school just redesigned the timetable, i hope they can minimize clashes for the next year coming because really the amount of clashes was unacceptable

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
naw my poor friend, 4 out of her 5 subjects clashed, so she only got to do 2 of her original subject selections, she cried for days :( over half my year level had clashes (i wasn't one of them thank god) because our school just redesigned the timetable, i hope they can minimize clashes for the next year coming because really the amount of clashes was unacceptable
A couple of people are complaining but most people are getting most of their original choices. So their complaining is probably ineffectual (at least I hope so)

maths94

HSC
Okay, so at my school we have lines (i think every school has lines) where we choose from the selection and we have to pick all 7 lines (besides the tafe on i think) anyways, they subjects are lined up and I am afraid a lot of my subjects will be in the same line. Anyone have any uncertainties about their subject selections?

And would doing 2 extensions be hard or stressful?
It will obviously be hard, but it depends. If you are good at both subjects it will b not as stressfull. But the workload will be, doing the extension class the best thing is u can drop down. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)