Who here has got a tutor???? (1 Viewer)

freedragon

HSC
im n yr 10 and dont have a tutor but im coping with school and i study and all that....

What is ur opinion on tutors?

r they really necessary for yr 11 and 12??????

also, is there anyone else like me who currently doesnt have a tutor and is still going well in school. r u guys thinking bout getting tutors????

and the debate begins:jedi:

HSC
well it really depends on how hard you find your subjects to be, if you find them easier then there is no point in wasting your money.

Mudkip94

HSC
I'm in Year 10 too and I get tutored for Year 11 Maths/Maths Ext.1 and in Year 12 I'll get tutored for Physics and Chem too.

I think it's awesome.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Tutoring is good if you want to get ahead, solidify your knowledge, make sure you're learning the right things or need someone "forcing you" to do your work because otherwise you won't need it.

Otherwise, if you've got good teachers and are willing + able to teach yourself it isn't needed.

Last edited:

limesquish

HSC
i just think my tutor is generally awesome doing ext. maths in class and eating chips

HSC
Uni Grad
I recently started tutoring for 3U maths and English... it's for next year and nothing related to this year, since this year has been covered.

I need a maths tutor to help me ace the 2U and 3U preliminary course for me to get into 4U (which if i get in then I'll only do 4U tutoring) and I have an english tutor for me to go the right way in english or otherwise I'll continue to end up with 60-75% in essays when I should be getting at least 85% for my expectations...

Monsterman

HSC
you can always try.. get someone with experience.. like referred by a friend in real life..

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
Tutoring is good if you want to get ahead + clarify concepts. If you have teachers who can do this for you then you don't need to.
For english, tutors are helpful in that they can give you more advice in depth and help you edit etc whereas teachers have to cater for 30 students (but if you ask your teachers they will also be very willing to do so).
Maths is good if you have heaps of questions you want clarified/want to get ahead of the class.

Phys and Chem are for understanding the concepts and importantly learning exam style techniques and tips so you can maximise marks.

and as 'annabackwards' said, it is that someone is forcing you to do it.

7oas7y

HSC
I haven't read the above posts, but I'm sure as hell that anyone who knows anything will tell you one thing: tutors are only good for one reason.

They force you to do the work to learn.

Other than that they're just wasted money on what you can learn from your teacher. Of course, if your designated teacher is filth and doesn't know jack shit about anything then learn from the textbook or BoS resources because $50 an hour or whatever you're spending is seriously not even worth it. Unless you're proper failing your subjects and you're not doing the work in class and at home and you're just not putting in the effort into your schooling, then don't bother with a tutor 'cos they'll rape your bank. If you plan to change and actually work at learning the syllabus, then don't get a damn tutor.

I personally don't have an issue with tutors themselves, but it's the people that get tutors that really get on my nerves. It's fucking lazy (excuse my language) to go out and have someone force you to do work. Shit, if you can't learn to pressure yourself and do the work ON YOUR OWN, then you're not going to get far in the real world...

/vent

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
i have one for english and maths (yes i am well aware that i am doing standard english and advanced mathematics, no need to tell me again)
$140 a week for me on tutor.. lol
mainly cos i've had a few contributing factors which has stuffed me up with school.. e.g. very late dianosis of adhd in year 9.
but i've improved heaps.. and i'm hoping to do advanced english and 3umaths in year 12..
do you think thats possible?
or should i just try to do both of them for next year?

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
i have one for english and maths (yes i am well aware that i am doing standard english and advanced mathematics, no need to tell me again)
$140 a week for me on tutor.. lol
mainly cos i've had a few contributing factors which has stuffed me up with school.. e.g. very late dianosis of adhd in year 9.
but i've improved heaps.. and i'm hoping to do advanced english and 3umaths in year 12..
do you think thats possible?
or should i just try to do both of them for next year?
A WEEK?!

Mine is $200 a term.

FTW

HSC
Tutoring is good if you want to get ahead, solidify your knowledge, make sure you're learning the right things or need someone "forcing you" to do your work because otherwise you won't need it.
Wow that is my sentiments exactly. Thanks Anna (psycic much?)

Edit: Mine is $20 for 1 1/2 hours but its not 1 on 1.

jeshxcore

HSC
A WEEK?!

Mine is $200 a term.
yeah, cause my english tutor works at hornsby girls high school and my maths tutor is head teacher maths of matrix, and they're both hsc markers.. so its reasonable i guess?
meh anyways, i'm not the one who pays for it all lol... but that doesn't mean i don't care and everything..

HSC
N/A
A WEEK?!

Mine is $200 a term.

WHERE THE HECK DO YOU GO!?
$200 A TERM?

:jaw:

oh, and answering the question. I have many tutors, but that's only because I can be quite slow, and i've got alot of work to catch up on due to the fact that i sort of JUST moved from the northern hemisphere waaaay down to the duurty south.
But there are a few accelerated people at my school now that get straight A's and are Dux's that do not have tutors. It just shows that if you're determined and are willing to self-study, then you don't need to use up all your parents hard earned dow-lah.

Last edited:

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
yeah, cause my english tutor works at hornsby girls high school and my maths tutor is head teacher maths of matrix, and they're both hsc markers.. so its reasonable i guess?
meh anyways, i'm not the one who pays for it all lol... but that doesn't mean i don't care and everything..
Oh shit... Matrix...

My friend goes to Matrix just for Maths, $1000 a term for one subject @_@

The tutoring place that I go to is pretty good, $740 for Maths, Science, English and Writing, although all 4 of them are crammed together in 4 hours on Sunday...

jeshxcore

HSC
both my tutors are private one on one lol.
shit 1000 a term? even having private tutoring from someone at matrix is cheaper than whole-class tutoring.
mine is $60 per hour for maths.. lets say one term i go 10 times (i go more depending on whether i have exams after holidays or not..) so that would equal to $600
but wow i would think private tutoring would be more expensive??
wtf o_O

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Well he goes to Maths at Matrix for a few hours each session... o__O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)