Who has bought their textbooks?? (1 Viewer)

sullyman

HSC
I bought mine yesterday (well all except the Chemistry 1 textbooks that is, as the list has not been posted yet).

Who else has bought there textbooks and is eager for uni to begin???

:D

frangipanisista

HSC
Not me, I'm still waiting for one more booklist to be released so I can get all my books delivered together. God, I wish I had my P's.

sullyman

HSC
I lugged all my textbooks around campus on my first day last year and looked like such an idiot because I kept dropping them everywhere. FAIL.
I was planning on doing that, so you dont recommend it?? rather only bring a notepad for the first day??

frangipanisista

HSC
I was planning on doing that, so you dont recommend it?? rather only bring a notepad for the first day??
Well, actually, I chose to purchase all of my textbooks on my first day so I even had the ones I didn't need for that day. Plus, being nursing texts they were huge. I was thankful that I managed to get a lift home and didn't have to drag them on the two-hour train trip home.

But I guess it really depends on whether you are actually required to have read something prior to your first class, which usually will be indicated in your unit outline. You'll probably find, though, that your tutorials in the first week will probably be spent mostly reading through the unit outline with the tutor.

Last edited:

sullyman

HSC
Well, actually, I chose to purchase all of my textbooks on my first day so I even had the ones I didn't need for that day. Plus, being nursing texts they were huge. I was thankful that I managed to get a lift home and didn't have to drag them on the two-hour train trip home.

But I guess it really depends on whether you are actually required to have read something prior to your first class, which usually will be indicated in your unit outline. You'll probably find, though, that your tutorials in the first week will probably be spent mostly reading through the unit outline with the tutor.
Oh cool, i was getting worried about the unit outlines because i cant find the really comprehensive ones anywhere Confused

Thats why i bought all my texts really early, so that even if i had to read some of them before the first lecture and didnt know it i would have lol.

frangipanisista

HSC
Oh cool, i was getting worried about the unit outlines because i cant find the really comprehensive ones anywhere Confused

Thats why i bought all my texts really early, so that even if i had to read some of them before the first lecture and didnt know it i would have lol.
Just so you know, the library has last year's unit outlines uploaded here, but they probably will be slightly different as adjustments are made to units based on student feedback. If you're just looking for an idea of what sort of subject matter you'll be covering, that's a good way to go about it.

I found last year that my units weren't added to vUWS until the week prior to Autumn session, so you may have to wait a while until you get a clearer picture as to what you should be reading.

kagura

HSC
Is there a textbook loan scheme at UWS? I don't wanna fork out $500+ worth of books for just one measly semester! :)

frangipanisista

HSC
Is there a textbook loan scheme at UWS? I don't wanna fork out $500+ worth of books for just one measly semester! :)
When the Co-Op covered booksales at UWS there was a textbook scholarship where recipients recieved $50 to "cover" the costs of textbooks and stationary (mentioned here). I have no idea whether there is going to be a similar scheme under ConnectBooks.

Most textbooks are on course reserve, but are restricted to use within the library only, so that may not be the most convenient solution.

If it really is a problem, I'd consider contacting the Student Welfare Service.

kagura

HSC
Damn! I can't believe there aren't any proper textbook schemes at UWS! -_-

I'm kinda annoyed 'cause we're only using them for one semester, oh well... Anyway, I checked the textbooks required for 'Principles of economics' at the UWSconnect site - must I get everything shown? Even the ones labeled as 'reference'?

Thanks in advance!

frangipanisista

HSC
Damn! I can't believe there aren't any proper textbook schemes at UWS! -_-

I'm kinda annoyed 'cause we're only using them for one semester, oh well... Anyway, I checked the textbooks required for 'Principles of economics' at the UWSconnect site - must I get everything shown? Even the ones labeled as 'reference'?

Thanks in advance!
It sucks, doesn't it. The textbooks that you absolutely need are labelled 'textbook', so you only need to purchase the first book on that list. The 'reference' books are not essential but helpful, and will most likely be on course reserve if you feel the need to refer to it.

kagura

HSC
^Yup, it sucks indeed. Ah... thanks for your help though! I think it's better for me to just borrow those reference books at the library and read it there. This should reduce the expenses a bit. :)

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I buy my textbooks secondhand through textbookexchange.com.au, or borrow them off my sister's boyfriend who has just completed the same degree as me. Of course, if a subject changes its required textbook, I have to buy the new one, that sucks.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Kagura, I would walk about campus the week before uni and look at all the bulletin/notice boards for cheap books. If all else fails I'd definately get my books of Textbook Exchange - Welcome to Australia's largest second hand textbook site and only overnight.

^Yup, it sucks indeed. Ah... thanks for your help though! I think it's better for me to just borrow those reference books at the library and read it there. This should reduce the expenses a bit. :)
You cannot borrow reference books from the library during the day. You can only borrow it 2-3 hours prior to the library closing i.e. after 6pmish.

If you are facing and financial difficulties please visit a UWS welfare officer in the first two weeks, where they could possibly offer you a $200 or so book voucher, if you can prove your extreme financial difficulty.

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I'll have to wait to buy my textbooks. ~$650 is a lot of money :(
Also, Hi Wooz, have you seen the thread about you? :p

sullyman

HSC
I'll have to wait to buy my textbooks. ~$650 is a lot of money :(
Also, Hi Wooz, have you seen the thread about you? :p

Yeah the textbooks werent cheap lol, i paid out $442.60 for only 3 subjects worth of books and hae another one to go.

sullyman

HSC
Just so you know, the library has last year's unit outlines uploaded here, but they probably will be slightly different as adjustments are made to units based on student feedback. If you're just looking for an idea of what sort of subject matter you'll be covering, that's a good way to go about it.

I found last year that my units weren't added to vUWS until the week prior to Autumn session, so you may have to wait a while until you get a clearer picture as to what you should be reading.
Hey thanks for the unit outlines for last year, there really helpful and give a sound understanding of the course :D, which i wanted lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)