Which university? Student life/ courses/ etc (1 Viewer)

smiggles

HSC
I have no idea which uni to go to, or which ones are better, etc.

I really want to make sure i go to one where the clubs are friendly, the people are genuinely nice, and the courses are really good... and the university has a nice feel about it.

Any opinions and/or suggestions?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
That is very subjective. Especially when it comes to courses, which in my opinion should be the factor given most weight in your decision. Every university has nice and friendly people.

enoilgam

HSC
As Brent said it is fairly subjective - do as much research as possible and visit the unis in order to see which one best suits you.

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
Not all uni's have friendly people..but in terms of universities in Sydney, I'd go with UNSW and UTS as most friendly.

Go to Uni open days and talk to people who have already experienced the uni lifestyle..

madharris

HSC
N/A
Well first and foremost you want to see what uni's are good for the course you want to do

There are nice and nasty people at every uni so you can't really choose this. You either make friends with certain people or you don't :p

Do research into the social life at each uni, however the social life is what YOU make of it.
e.g. UNSW has a rep for a worse social life than USyd
However I have friends at UNSW who go out all the time and friends at usyd who just go home as soon as possible after uni

Also do research into the opportunities that each uni gives in relation to your degree such as exchange and studying abroad, internships, scholarships, placement, research opportunities, etc

Hope that helps you make your decision :)

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
e.g. UNSW has a rep for a worse social life than USyd
)
I've actually heard the opposite. Lot's of clubs are quite active and UNSW does host quite a lot of parties. For Social life, it's what you make of it.

plasticities

HSC
Like everyone has said, it's incredibly subjective depending on who you ask and what you want to get out of it. I'm so biased but I love UNSW, I feel like there's plenty of opportunities to meet people and get involved. You can join clubs and societies, do a revue, join one of many volunteering programs with the student organisation Arc or go to one of the parties at the Roundhouse, all ways that allow you to have a great time and meet new people. However, that being said essentially all those opportunities are available at other universities, so reiterating, it's a matter of doing your research and going to the uni's and getting a feel for yourself.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Uws has the worse for social life LoL.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon UTS, USyd and UNSW are quite comparable.

Most clubs are quite friendly to new people, there's lots of nice people - you just need to pick them out of the crowd and the courses tend to be quite similar across universities.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know. According to some statistics that I've just went over, USYD and UTS has the best social clubs out, both scoring 9/10 as equal highest

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
It's worth pointing out that one of the main reasons UWS is the "worst for social life" is due to how many campuses there are, many offering the same courses. Makes it very difficult for clubs/societies to function.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I've once been to both the Penrith and Bankstown UWS campus last year for a HSC revision lecture + expo day.

God, I don't want to ever step back into there. It looked liked a mental hospital or some sort, that's how deadly it is.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I went to the open day for UWS, UTS and USYD.
UWS (Campbelltown): Bad, it didn't feel like a university to me. Rather like a college. People were smoking, drinking... I was surrounded by hobos.
USYD: I liked it, but it felt too formal. I mean, like it was hard to talk to anyone... and everyone was shy and quite. Felt awkard.
UTS: Best of the three (not being bias). From my personal experience, this was the best open day for me. I spoke to an ex-student for ~30 mins about the course. People were so friendly and started commuicating the moment I set foot into the tower building lol
UNSW: My mate goes there and says that the social life is just as good.

Last edited:

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Really dont see how social life comes in. Surely you pick the university which is best for the degree you want to study?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Really dont see how social life comes in. Surely you pick the university which is best for the degree you want to study?
Because networking begins with social life and people like to build networks to get into their industry preference. Also because a great social life means that you are genuinely enjoying your time at uni which is also a big plus. I'm sure people would prefer to revel in their time at uni rather than view it as a degree factory.

OT: similar experience to Safraaz. I went to all the uni open days multiple times. Each time I found UTS to be the most friendly and a positive experience. Too many times USYD was just selling their own prestige and the current students' lack of care or disregard for possible future students made the general feeling of being at USYD horrible. I have a lot of friends who are also saying USYD has been a terrible experience for them so they are also transferring this semester, but I also have some who absolutely love it there and have quite honestly fallen in love with the uni. And while I really liked UNSW, something about the university as a whole just didn't feel right for me. More than half my cohort is at UNSW, maybe it was that I just wanted to meet new people, but I really just felt out of place there. But from what I hear everyone adores the place and it has become a second home to them. Uni is just about how at home you feel and whether it's the right uni for you. It's just something you have to experience first hand, rather than listen to everyone else's experience.

plasticities

HSC
Also because a great social life means that you are genuinely enjoying your time at uni which is also a big plus. I'm sure people would prefer to revel in their time at uni rather than view it as a degree factory.
+1

Jimmy2064

HSC
I went to UNSW for an open day as well as a biology excursion and HATED it. Honestly I don't care how good it is academically wise, I'd never go to a uni that is so bleak and lacking life.

Not to be racist by any means, but I would have been lucky if I saw 20 white people the whole day (even the ones that I did see looked like they'd spent their last year in an isolation cell, devoid from human contact). Everyone else was head in books, music in ears all walking around in their little social/cultural groups. Yes I'm exaggerating, but it did not look inviting nor social whatsoever. It also got scrapped off my list.

In an English excursion to Usyd I heard someone some guy say "omg, I've really excelled in physics this semester". Needless to say it was also off my list.

Tbh you only get to go to uni once as an 18 year old, may as well make the most of and pick somewhere you will actually enjoy (if this is UNSW then go for it). Personally, I'm going either UTS or MQU... or UON if I bomb my HSC lol, and then I'll transfer, because that was pretty sub-standard too, bearable however.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)