Which univeristy is best for engineering, specifically computer engineering/Comp Sci. (1 Viewer)

jarrodoliver1

HSC
I was first thinking newcastle university as it offered a perfect double degree, engineering (Computing/computer science.

I was then thinking Usyd, and now like the sounds of macquarie. AGHH.

Could someone possibly rank the well known universities? Including UNewcastle and Macq? (Based on the engineering/science degrees)

jarrodoliver1

HSC
I started off wishing to attend Newcastle university, and do the computer engineering/computer science degree, requiring 80 atar. I then had second thoughts to push myself and aim for USyds Computer engineering/Science degree, and have now heard some things about macquarie, which offers it for ~80 atar.

Would someone be ever so kind enough to provide reasons as to why one would be better than the other, or even rank these 3, along with a few other well known universities for these degrees. (UNSW/UTS)

Thankyou so much.

EDIT:WRONG SECTIONG OMG

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Re: Which univeristy is best for engineering, specifically computer engineering/Comp

UNSW is the best university for compsci, but USyd is good too. Dunno about UTS.

Demise

HSC
Re: Which univeristy is best for engineering, specifically computer engineering/Comp

Usyd apparently has the highest drop out rate for it's computer science course whereas UNSW has the lowest. UNSW compsci graduates are highly sought out for their great analytical (and logical) skills when it comes to problems and providing numerous methods for solving these issues. I myself chose UNSW, but in all honesty, you could go to most unis and still get a great education, it's just from the looks of it, UNSW (as well as ANU and UniMelb) have their courses downpat.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
I was firstly thinking newcastle universities double degree, computer engineering/computer science, requiring an 80 atar. I then moved on and though that USyds computer engineering/bachelor of science seemed interesting, although, similar degree, and then i am now thinking macquarie university?

Would someone be ever so kind enough to possibly rank the universities in order from best to worst when referring to these subjects?

Thankyou.

Possibly add other well known universities as well, UNSW/UTS?

HSC
Uni Grad

UNSW hands down, as what ppl have said throughout the forum.

UNSW ranks first in the country for comp sci, and it's based on research rankings, so if you're interested in research, go for it. As for the teaching though, it's still great from what I have heard.

jarrodoliver1

HSC

Are there any unsw courses that offer both say, computer engineering and computer science? I can't seem to find anything.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC

Is there any particular need to do both degrees? You can do the relevant courses from a comp eng. degree in compsci and vice versa I'm pretty sure.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

A good friend of mine studied Comp.Sci. at UNSW. He enjoyed it and got a full time job just a few months after graduating *shrug*

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Are there any unsw courses that offer both say, computer engineering and computer science? I can't seem to find anything.
If you really want to do combined it'd have to be Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. You do realise that Computer Engineering is more like Electrical than something like Software right?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

engineering/science?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

engineering/science?
The last time i checked UNSW (well any uni offering the combo afaik) wont let you do combined Software or Computer Engineering with computer science.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

The last time i checked UNSW (well any uni offering the combo afaik) wont let you do combined Software or Computer Engineering with computer science.
BE/BSc at Usyd.

Then you just do BE(Electrical (Computer))/BSc(Computer Science)

Duh

Same with software

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

BE/BSc at Usyd.

Duh

Same with software
I stand corrected then, never knew that Computer or Software were offered as sub majors for Electrical.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

I stand corrected then, never knew that Computer or Software were offered as sub majors for Electrical.
cusp.sydney.edu.au

(this isn't working for me atm. Awkies)

jarrodoliver1

HSC

BE/BSc at Usyd.

Duh

Same with software
That's what i intend on doing at USyd. UNSW doesn't seem to offer it though.

D94

HSC
N/A
That's what i intend on doing at USyd. UNSW doesn't seem to offer it though.
Computing combined with Computer Science? The Computing degree is basically the same as the Computer Science degree but with 1 year extra covering Computing based topics.

Electrical combined with Computer Science? Yes, UNSW does offer it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)