which uni is 'best'? (1 Viewer)

RTTTYTR

HSC
Omnidragon said:
Hah you little dumb shit. This is what you resort to? Stupid examples in the extreme? To answer your dumb hypothetical, yes we'll take the person who generates more money over the one who went to university.

I have nothing else to say to you because you've clearly lost the plot, coming up with an example like that.

And don't take all the other passive readers as idiots. They see through your silly argument. With analytical skills like that, you're either a straight arts student or you do accounting at TAFE.
Both candidates went to university, however they didn't go to that same uni (where did you get the idea that only one went to university?)

The fact that you cannot intellectually debate the issue, clearly shows several things:
1) your arrogance
2) The fallacy of your supposed intellectual ability
3) The absurdity of your line of reasoning.

However, I welcome you retorts and justification for you philosophical position.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
If I see somebody doing medicine at USyd, I'm going to make an instant judgment (rightly or wrongly) that he must have done well in his HSC. If I see somebody attending TAFE studying accounting, I'm going to make an instant judgment that this guy didn't do well and couldn't get into university.
Haha, going by that, I'd be under the assumption that if they're doing law at usyd, that they missed out on doing medicine and their asian parents didn't want them wasting their uai :)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
AsyLum said:
Haha, going by that, I'd be under the assumption that if they're doing law at usyd, that they missed out on doing medicine and their asian parents didn't want them wasting their uai :)
Haha no.... actually maybe

K

katie_tully

oi, coz csu has dentistry and vetinary science, does that make us cool now?

no? oh. :(

serious note: csu has a pretty good student:teacher ratio, and i know it cops a lot of shit for being in the country (therefore it's inferior or something) but it's quite a decent uni.

it doesnt have the prestige of having medicine or law, but its nursing/teaching/biomedical science degrees are quite good.

in any event it's better than UWS. ;)

anyway the question of prestige is shit now anyway, i dont think any of the unis in Australia are prestigious. do some have a better teaching quality? yes, but to me prestigious would imply a level of selectiveness, like a private school or something. but seeing as how unis are now basically open to anybody...meh
for arguments sake i'd say USYD, purely because the UAIs required to get into 90% of the degrees are 90+, which is obviously due to the high demand of a USYD degree.

dunno if that made sense, but this csu wine is pretty awesome. and their cheese.

lovethehsc

HSC
N/A
williamycai said:
LOL! HAHAHAH, i didn't want to comment on the first reply to this because i thought that most people, with a decent iq, would get EXACTLY THAT POINT, that syd doesn't offer some degrees, so how can u compare? so ANSWER my question..not defer it to UNSW. geez why i even bother with unopen minded people...
why do every1 look down on people who goes tafe/uws or something, if all you syd and unsw kids think you are so much better than every1 else, then by all means i have no more words for this topic. tho i do wonder what ur arrogant lives lead to.
You should just read stazi and omnidragon's posts because they seem to have the right mindset.

Anyway, if you look at the thread title it is what uni is 'best' not what degree is best. Even if usyd does not offer (for eg) actuarial studies, the uni - as a whole - has more prestige than uws, uts and even unsw.

If you are going to be this stubborn you could say that yes macquarie has more prestige than usyd in actuarial studies by the simple fact that usyd does not offer the degree. However again, stepping back, usyd has more prestige than club mac as a whole.

It seems you are one of the "un open minded people". Firstly you cannot seem to accept the fact that some universities are more prestigious than others (using a real-life eg when you start work: your job at macca's would be more prestigious than someone flipping burgers at the local tuckshop because of the simple fact that McDonald's has brand recognition et al). And secondly, you use your own stereotypes: ie "syd and unsw kids" have "arrogant lives". I would say that you are the one with the arrogant strain. We call that tall poppy syndrome.

And yes because i go to a prestigious uni you'll be designing the master bedroom in my bondi beachhouse one day. And i'll make sure the usyd acrhitecture graduate heads the project because riff-raff like you need to know their place in society. Just like you use deplorable english grammar to reinforce my low opinion of your arguments, i can play to your assumed stereotype of me too :wave:

GODDAMN RAGE. SEAKING YEAH!!

Last edited:

phrred

HSC
going to a prestigious uni doesnt make u rich enough to have a beach house in bondi

LucaWell

HSC
Exphate said:
Oxford
Havard
Yale.
Depends what area again.

Oxford and Yale actually does not have much in Business. Oxford's business school is very young and they try to make it good, but it still has a long way to go.

Havard BS is of course good as are Colombia and Duke.

Even within Business there are very big differences. MIT for instance is nothing at all in Marketing. Monash is nothing in International marketing. University of Adelaide is the best university for international marketing in AsiaPacific. Melbourne is the best for product innovation. Wollongong is (one of) the best for market research. And so on. It varies a lot.

sinist4

HSC
Musk is rite on the money there... wats the point of going to teh best uni >?, but taking the shittest course they offer. Personal preference is always gonna over rule the word 'best'

BlytheChloe

HSC
Musk said:
the best saying goes

What is best may not be right, but what is right is best :)
Amen.

From a person working in the journalism industry (not me), CSU and UTS Journalism is the best 2.

I would pick Design courses in UTS over USYD.

However, USYD is considered "best". Which is bullshit IMO.

RedZenith

HSC
I've heard that several newspapers have ranked ANU as the best university in Australia. Why is it that barely anyone mentions wanting to go there? Is it really not that good? Or is it too secluded? Or is it hard to get into?

RedZenith

HSC
So I take it that it's not a very good university to learn at?

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
RedZenith said:
I've heard that several newspapers have ranked ANU as the best university in Australia. Why is it that barely anyone mentions wanting to go there? Is it really not that good? Or is it too secluded? Or is it hard to get into?
because it's in canberra, it comes with the stereotype of being a boring/grey/dark/cold place. if it were in sydney, a science degree would require a 99 to get into and a law degree would require a uai of 200.

it's not hard to get into. a 75 guarantees you entry into science/economics/commerce, and a 95 guarantees you entry into law (without the expense of the course being dumbed down).

personally i love ANU in terms of teaching. all the lecturers i have had this year are extremely knowledgeable (all 8 lecturers i've had hold PHDs and i think 80% of the lecturers here follow suit) and i could easily tell they enjoy standing in front of the lecture teaching. i liked having the opportunity to approach a lecturer anytime to ask him/her a question, and get a thorough explanation back without the fear of being told to piss off as i'm taking up their free time and not their consultation time. from experience, all lecturers will be happy to assist on one condition - that you've attempted the question yourself (even if your attempt was stupid), as it shows you are keen to learn, they'll be happy to reciprocate by being keen to help you.

also i'm quite grateful about the types of questions/assessments as they require you to apply "out-of-the-box" analysing as opposed to slapping down text-book factual answers in order to get marks. i think this challenges students' thinking as they not only have to understand the fundamentals but also understand how to apply the facts to a scenario. honestly, in the real world, what use is that? "oh wow i can tell you recite to you a text-book definition of what inflation means but i can't apply it to a real world scenario..." this is of course to the extent what the question can ask... i.e. obviously a maths or a physics course cannot do this.

just my $0.02. i'm sure there are other outstanding uni's out there, but to be fair, i've never been to any other uni to give my opinion, but from accounts from my buddies at other universities, they seem to envy me.

if you have any specific questions let me know and i'll do my best to convince you that ANU is a great uni to learn at... to the extent of the courses i've done so far.

Last edited:

BlytheChloe

HSC
jas0nt said:
only if you make it out to be
Well that's like saying Ethiopia is only in poverty if you make it out to be =)

I heard Canberra is deserted and dreary. Lifeless? So what's it really like then? Show us photos :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)