which uni is 'best'? (1 Viewer)

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
lol yeah I know, I'm not choosing on the basis of this or anything, just wondering which ones are considered to be really 'good' in general.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Tulipa said:
That's completely subjective.

Also, it doesn't matter if a uni is prestigious, it matters if it's got a good program for the course you want.
She didn't ask why you should pick a university, she asked which are the most prestigious. Prestige isn't really subjective. From what I've observed, prestige seems to hover around...

Arts/Humanities, Education, Medicine, Science, Law = USyd
Engineering, Commerce/Economics = UNSW
Actuarial Studies = Mac

Once again, that's from what I've observed. Overall, I'd say that yes, USyd has a bit more prestige than UNSW, understandably so.

Might I also add, that if you've asked this question because this is the only thing that it's come down to between two universities, and if it's between UNSW and USyd, pick USyd. UNSW just doesn't compare. :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
that really depends on which courses the OP wanted to do, and they were listed just as nebuchanezzar did a few posts above

also to note:
engineering, design, arts in communication- UTS

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
go to oxford

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
Sif USyd Med is better =( All bar 8 students each year that graduate will be like 30.
so?

msh

HSC
anything near the city is obviously the most popular...

msh

HSC
i only know my field.. so.. from what i know...

design = uts (please let me in this year)
commerce = unsw

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Tulipa said:
Creative Arts - UOW
i don't think there's actually any 'prestigious' creative arts courses in NSW, unless you include fine arts under the creative arts umbrella. then you would say that UNSW's COFA is the most prestigious.

Jemsta said:
I actually only think that UTS is prestigious for journalism.

-----
Overall, though, USYD is considered to be very prestigious, as an institution. This is merely because of it's history, and I kid you not, the sandstone buildings.

However, as an intelligent person will tell you, prestige does not equal great education. Many private schools are prestigious, yet their education standards may not be as good as, say, Sydney Boys.
----
nebuzcha... said:
prestige isn't subjective
lol, of course it is. whilst many people may believe that certain unis are prestigious, this doesn't mean that it's not any less subjective a construct. you can't measure prestige scientifically. you are merely measuring people's beliefs about which uni is more worthy of a label, that itself is ill-defined.

Raaaaaachel

HSC
Usyd and UNSW. I hate people who think Maq and UTS are up there now. They're only marginally above UWS. How can 4/5 Uni's in Sydney be prestigious? This defies the notion of prestige.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Raaaaaachel said:
Usyd and UNSW. I hate people who think Maq and UTS are up there now. They're only marginally above UWS. How can 4/5 Uni's in Sydney be prestigious? This defies the notion of prestige.
uhh... they're a lot better than uws in terms of prestige. and there are a lot more than 5 unis in sydney. we have a shitload of private universities, many of which are payable by FEE-HELP, now, if i'm not mistaken.

Raaaaaachel

HSC
stazi said:
uhh... they're a lot better than uws in terms of prestige. and there are a lot more than 5 unis in sydney. we have a shitload of private universities, many of which are payable by FEE-HELP, now, if i'm not mistaken.
Well maybe they look good compared to UWS but thats nothing to be proud of. Even with the private unis, most of the students still go to the aforementioned five.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes, they do. and why do they do that?
1) because the aforementioned five are a lot more prestigious.
2) because it's cheaper to do so.

Furthermore, I don't think that you're the best judge of prestige, as you haven't left school yet. You're discounting UTS because it has an ugly main building, and MAQ because it's out of the way for you

In fact, internationally, I would say that ANU is probably the most prestigious uni in Australia.

Raaaaaachel

HSC
stazi said:
yes, they do. and why do they do that?
1) because the aforementioned five are a lot more prestigious.
2) because it's cheaper to do so.

Furthermore, I don't think that you're the best judge of prestige, as you haven't left school yet. You're discounting UTS because it has an ugly main building, and MAQ because it's out of the way for you
I have done alot of research. How would a uni student who had only attended one of these uni's know more than me anyway? You've second guessed my reasons for discounting these unis, its actually because they are not as old and dont have the recognition and alumni of the sandstone unis.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Raaaaaachel said:
I have done alot of research. How would a uni student who had only attended one of these uni's know more than me anyway? You've second guessed my reasons for discounting these unis, its actually because they are not as old and dont have the recognition and alumni of the sandstone unis.
because a uni student who has attended ONE of those unis knows more than a high school student who has attended NONE of those unis. that's how.

yes, i agree that the others aren't AS prestigious, but to liken them to UWS is silly.

Mac, for instance, is ranked 7th in Australia by the Times Higher Education Supplement.

Also, UNSW was only founded in 1949.
The University of Wollongong was founded in the early 1950s.
The University of New England was founded in 1954.

As you can see, age doesn't always equal prestige.
UNSW also isn't exactly a 'sandstone' uni.
The university of new england, however, has lots of sandstone, from what i understand. Is the UNE a better institution?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)