Which uni has the best teaching? (1 Viewer)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
you pretty much have to learn on your own right. no one is there to spoon feed you or make sure hand in work or get to class on time etc. how you learn is also influenced by the lecturer, his ability to keep a room full of students attention and interest and of course what resources he/she has that are beneficial to your greater understanding of a subject. If a lecturer is particularly good at explaining concepts which are pretty vague in the textbook than your more than likely to turn up for example. however in my case i dont turn up to half my lectures because the lecturers are crap!

kewell101

HSC
N/A
Do lecturers teach from text books?

Is there a syllabus for each course?

What is the percentage of lectuers you must attend?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Answers from my experience:

No.

Yes. But it's breif.

0%. Only tutorials are compolsery.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by kewell101

Lecturer's base their teaching on their own programme - textbooks are selected based on their similarity to the course material they are teaching.

there is no set 'syllabus' per say, however, they do have learning objectives which is a guide to what they can examine u on.

u dont have to attend ANY lectures, however, in most cases, u must attend 80% of your tutorial classes

kewell101

HSC
N/A
"Lecturer's base their teaching on their own programme - textbooks are selected based on their similarity to the course material they are teaching."

So can you live without the text books?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
not neccessarily. they basicly come in handy during exam time, thats the only time i use them. oh and for the odd assignment.

kewell101

HSC
N/A
oh................ok...............................

what about the lecture notes?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
the usefulness of lecture notes are determined by the author of the textbook who sometimes supplies generic notes and/or of course the quality of the lecturers notes. so basicly it depends on your lecturer and the subject/faculty. some subjects have great ones some have shit ones.

kewell101

HSC
N/A
ok lazza.

But it's better to rely on your lecturer right?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It depends. Ideally, you shouldn't really 'rely' on one or the other, and instead should make use of all the resources available to you. Sometimes, however, those resources are limited (as is the case with poor lecture notes) and you're forced to make do with what you have.

It's a good idea to get in the habit of making your own notes during lectures - they can save you if the provided ones aren't so great.

You'll need to find a strategy that suits you, one that optimises your abilities as a student and makes use of the way in which you learn best.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
hey this is a lil irrelevant to this...but call meeh crazy aniways....i was wondering..say if you want to do social science/law...and you dont get in...so you do your first yr in social scien..and hope for a avg distinction and in effect a transfer.....

however, because they dont mark your name/coutn the numbers at lectuers..so does that mean that you can acutlali go to the law seminars? and lyk study law at the same time even though you are acutlali not in the course?

:) truly in bliss

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
however, because they dont mark your name/coutn the numbers at lectuers..so does that mean that you can acutlali go to the law seminars? and lyk study law at the same time even though you are acutlali not in the course?
Depends on the university, but generally, yes.

I've never seen it written as 'acutlali' before. :p

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss

:) truly in bliss
You could go to lectures, but you'd be picked up in seminars for sure! There were 38 in my first law seminar and the teacher knew everyone. You could go to the USyd law lectures though...if 9am Monday morning suits you :p.

kewell101

HSC
N/A
Could people on this board tell me about their lecturers?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by kewell101
Could people on this board tell me about their lecturers?
they are very boring, mostly
unless
A) U have an entertaining lecturer
B) It's the final week, and they give out exam hints/freebies

oh, and if anyone has the tendancy to fall asleep in high school classes, u may as well not turn up to lectures at uni, because of the removal of the 'interactive learning'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)