Which math course should i do (1 Viewer)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
General math (2u)

general mathematics focuses on mathematical skills and techniques, which have direct application to everyday activity. The course content is written in five area of study (financial mathematics, data analysis, measurement, probability, algebraic modelling), which accounts for two thirds of the course. Two focus studies in Year 11 and 12 account for the remaining third of the course. It is intended that students develop, through the focus studies, the capacity to integrate their knowledge, skills and understanding across the strands. Note: calculus is NOT covered in this course. General Math is fully prescribed and is designed to support TAFE and other vocational courses. It provides and appropriate mathematical background for students who wish to undertake university studies in the areas of business, humanities, nursing, and paramedical science. However, this course does NOT prepare students for further studies in mathematics beyond the HSC, these include engineering, science, computing, medicine. Students should check prerequisites and assumed knowledge for specific tertiary courses.

Mathematics (2u)

Mathematics (2u) is intended to give students an understanding of and competence in some further aspects of mathematics which are applicable to the real world. It is a more formal, abstract course than general mathematics and is useful for concurrent studies in science and commerce. Note that calculus is covered in this course. A high level of competence in mathematics in years 9 and 10 is required for this course. It is expected that only students who have studies Advanced course will attempt this course. Intermediate students usually experience difficulty when attempting this course. This course prepares students to matriculate for tertiary institutions. The mathematics 2u course provides minimum basis for entry into tertiary courses requiring mathematics. Students intending to do tertiary studies should check assumed knowledge for specific courses. Students that have acquired a very high level of competence in the advanced courses in years 9 and 10 and who require substantial mathematics at a tertiary level supporting the physical sciences, computer science or engineering should undertake the Extension 1 or Extension 2 course (yr 12 only).

Mathematics Ex 1

This 1 unit extension course is undertaken while studying the Mathematics 2u course in both preliminary and HSC years (years 11 and 12). The content of this course, which includes the entire Mathematics 2u course, and its depth of treatment indicate that it is only intended for students who have acquired a very high level of competence in teh advanced course. (note: intermediate students should not attempt this course). The course is intended to give these students a thorough understanding of and competence in aspects of mathematics including many which are applicable to the real world. This course is useful for concurrent studies of science, engineering and economics. This course offers sound preparation for the student who wishes to engage in tertiary study in mathematics/science based courses and is highly recommended for such students. Students intending to do tertiary studies should check assumed knowledge for specific courses.

Mathematics Ex 2 (yr 12 only)

This course is a 1 unit extension course which is undertaken while studying the Mathematics ex1 course. The extension 2 course includes the entire Mathematics 2u course, the entire extension 1 course as well as several other major topics. This course is very demanding and is intended only for outstanding preliminary extension 1 students. It represents a distinctly high level of mathematics involving the development of considerable manipulative skills and a high degree of understanding of the fundamental ideas of algebra and calculus. This course offers a very sound preparation for the student who wishes to engage in tertiary study in mathematics/science based courses.

[HR][/HR]

background: 5.3 - 2u, ex1
background: 5.1/5.2 - general math

Hope this brief guide is helpful :)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
I agree, but i have just organised so that students can perform there best in the chosen course, not saying that students arent capable just not best suited to. Thanks for advice.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
What does 5.2,5.3 etc mean? I've never heard these terms in my life :'(

DLMisme

HSC
What does 5.2,5.3 etc mean? I've never heard these terms in my life :'(
It's the levels of maths you do at stage 5. They might have different names at your school, like mine referred to 5.3 as 'advanced', 5.2 as 'intermediate' and 5.1 as 'standard'. Don't worry, I didn't know either :)

Last edited:

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
It's the levels of maths you do at stage 5. They might have different names at your school, like mine referred to 5.3 as 'advanced', 5.2 as 'intermediate' and 5.1 as 'standard'. Don't worry, I didn't know either :)
ur correct, 5.3 is advanced, 5.2 is intermediate (and is usually the book taught from) and 5.1 is standard (not sure if even published).

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
i went to a selective school and we were offered 5.2/5.3 advanced in terms 1-3 and then we moved onto a 5.3/year 11 book.

CptSpauld1ng

#Maths Till Death
HSC
When you do 4U maths, MX1 counts as two units, and MX2 counts as two units. Adv. is not counted.

J280

HSC
When you do 4U maths, MX1 counts as two units, and MX2 counts as two units. Adv. is not counted.
This is correct because if you are doing 4U maths, you don't do any 2U content or exams- making 3U/4U count as 2 units each. (I think BOS assumes you are a band 6 student in 2U)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
This is correct because if you are doing 4U maths, you don't do any 2U content or exams- making 3U/4U count as 2 units each. (I think BOS assumes you are a band 6 student in 2U)
You are correct:)

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
Not true.

MX2 is one unit - you're talking about MX1 and MX2 which are one unit each combined.
lol. when u take up mx2, mx1 and mx2 becomes two units each hence 4u maths. So u only take the mx1 and mx2 exam but not the 2u exam :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)