Which laptop is the best? [Poll] (1 Viewer)

Which laptop do you have/want?

• MacBook

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • MacBook Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Macbook Air

• Toshiba

• Sony Vaio

• Acer

• Dell

• HP

• Compaq

• IBM

• Total voters

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Also the cost of Macbooks is ridiculous.

philphie

Banned
HSC
Also the cost of Macbooks is ridiculous.

a 4gb memory 250gb hard drive 2.53ghz intel core 2 duo macbook PRO 13 inch costs under $2000, that is not ridiculous, and that is just retail, i got mine for 1800 brand new with extras

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
a 4gb memory 250gb hard drive 2.53ghz intel core 2 duo macbook PRO 13 inch costs under $2000, that is not ridiculous, and that is just retail, i got mine for 1800 brand new with extras
Searching "4gb memory 250gb hard drive 2.53ghz intel core 2 duo" on ebay brought up macbooks and a few pc laptops. The cheapest new, buy it now mac was about $1800 as you mentioned. A Toshiba P300 with those exact specifics (17 inch screen though) could also be bought for $1100, further searching and i found one with a 400gb hard drive for $1050. Better specs, and better value laptops can easily be found.

Macs have become cheaper i admit, but they will never compare to pc pricing.

philphie

Banned
HSC
Searching "4gb memory 250gb hard drive 2.53ghz intel core 2 duo" on ebay brought up macbooks and a few pc laptops. The cheapest new, buy it now mac was about $1800 as you mentioned. A Toshiba P300 with those exact specifics (17 inch screen though) could also be bought for $1100, further searching and i found one with a 400gb hard drive for $1050. Better specs, and better value laptops can easily be found.

Macs have become cheaper i admit, but they will never compare to pc pricing.
in my opinion you get what you pay for. macs have better ergonomic build quality, better design, maintenance is much better, they are extremely easy to use and aren't as fiddly as PCs, and handle multitasking much more smoothly for just a dual core, and at least for me they mean much more then just office equipment (although yes most people who use laptops use them for office use) issues with compatability mean virtually nothing with me when i can import/export things quite smoothly. the only thing i hate about my macbook pro is the fact it won't take usb broadband

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I've just switched from PC (an asus laptop) to Macbook pro...

Would never go back!

CecilyMare

HSC
I love the Eee PCs. They're so cute. And apparently they have good specs techs inbuilt blah blah blah, i'm not a software kid

Kalashnikov47

HSC
I recommended Thinkpad, partly because I use it and partly because I find it quite good. I like the traction point which I think is handier than touchpad. The computer is built on the principle of sacraficing everything for reliability, which means you cant play the latest computer game so you can spend more time studying (although the same effect can be achieved by switching to a Mac). The Thinkpad has some really useful features such as one-button recovery and customised power setting -- not cool, but useful if you want a laptop for working.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I love the Eee PCs. They're so cute. And apparently they have good specs techs inbuilt blah blah blah, i'm not a software kid
Oh god where did you hear that? All netbooks have atom processor or worse, they arent very good...

kanux

HSC
My bro bought me a Dell XPS Studio 16
15.6" LED screen

I dunno what's good about it lmao
but I know a few cons:
- Heavy as shit (6.4lbs?), don't think i'd be taking this fat ass to uni.
- Sucks in air from the base of laptop. gotta elevate it with books to make sure videocard doesn't overheat when playing games
- it's very prone to finger marks, needs a lot of wiping/cleaning

Abbiesaurus

HSC
My bro bought me a Dell XPS Studio 16
15.6" LED screen

I dunno what's good about it lmao
but I know a few cons:
- Heavy as shit (6.4lbs?), don't think i'd be taking this fat ass to uni.
- Sucks in air from the base of laptop. gotta elevate it with books to make sure videocard doesn't overheat when playing games
- it's very prone to finger marks, needs a lot of wiping/cleaning

I have a Dell Studio 15 (15.6" screen) and I don't have a problem with the weight or overheating when playing video games such as MW2 and Left 4 Dead 2 which are fairly recent games. Maybe your graphic card is an older model though. It is prone to finger marks, but thats because it has a glossy finish which I probably shouldn't have chosen, but it does look good :) I bought it because it was much better value then the other brands which had the same specs, but did cost a lot more.

One con though is that the touch pad isn't as nice feeling as some of the other brands.

Last edited:

philphie

Banned
HSC
I have a Dell Studio 15 (15.6" screen) and I don't have a problem with the weight or overheating when playing video games such as MW2 and Left 4 Dead 2 which are fairly recent games. Maybe your graphic card is an older model though. It is prone to finger marks, but thats because it has a glossy finish which I probably shouldn't have chosen, but it does look good :) I bought it because it was much better value then the other brands which had the same specs, but did cost a lot more.
that's because the XPS is heavy duty pro shit

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
Those who own macbooks (please excuse my ignorance) but do you find it difficult not being able to use .exe's? Are most new software and games compatible for mac or have you dual booted ur mac with windows?

That's kind of the only thing that's refraining me from a mac, not being able to use all software on it.

Also howz the gaming on a mac, do games like COD Warfare 2 work on it (decently)?

Does anyone use those digital pen+pad things in lectures when u need to draw diagrams. Are they any good or just a waste of time?

Last edited:
HSC
Those who own macbooks (please excuse my ignorance) but do you find it difficult not being able to use .exe's? Are most new software and games compatible for mac or have you dual booted ur mac with windows?

That's kind of the only thing that's refraining me from a mac, not being able to use all software on it.

Also howz the gaming on a mac, do games like COD Warfare 2 work on it (decently)?

Does anyone use those digital pen+pad things in lectures when u need to draw diagrams. Are they any good or just a waste of time?
that quite depends on the specs given.

Sayangliss

HSC
Macbook Pro ftw!

I've owned a 20' iMac for 3 years and recently got a MacBook Pro. That's how much I've enjoyed using Macs. My iMac hasn't frozen, crashed or stuffed up once (and I consider myself a fairly heavy user) and it's still running on top speed with no lag -ever.

iMan2 said:
I've never dual booted my mac with windows, although I've initially contemplated. There are continuously more and more software that are mac os compatible (why wouldn't they want to do such? Mac has an increasingly growing market - even microsoft makes office for Mac) and so I've never really had a problem with using specific programs on mac.

Current macbook pro specs are awesome. I can't say I'm certain on graphics for gaming, but Sims 2 looked nice on the iMac from what I've used.

Unlike alot of other laptops, the macbook's 8hr battery actually lasts 8 hours - currently for me it's lasting a bit longer than that. (Family owns an ASUS 17' notebook - battery doesn't even last up to half of it's supposed length during initial general usage).

As for price - I'd rather invest in a bit more into a laptop that isn't constantly going to give me headaches when it freezes and crashes. Pay a bit more to get a more durable laptop rather than one where you have to start fixing/replacing after some time heavy use.

Doomah

HSC
netbooks are toys.

try using it for more than 2 hours to do research journals. ha. sore neck from looking down, squinting eyes, cant read more than 2 words without the need to scroll.

i got bored with mine within 2 weeks and bought a 15" laptop, wont ever be getting anything less than 13inch ever again.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Lol well my friend's been using an Eee pc for ten months and it doesn't lag or anything =x
Eee's and all netbooks have virtually the same specs. Im sure you have heard all the year 9s complain about how slow their free netbooks are -.-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)