Which is better? (1 Viewer)

penguin.ali

HSC
This is mostly aimed at people who have finished the HSC in 2008 and before. I'm wondering whether it is better to go straight into university or tafe following the HSC, or to defer for a year and work instead?
Personally, I'm torn and want to know the pros and cons of both.
I'm really interested in starting study once again, but at the same time I want to travel and spend a year basically gaining life experience [I live in a protective bubble] so that I don't end up a naive uni graduate at the end of it all.

So, what are the good and bad bits about going straight into uni/ into work?

Thanks

Katherwin

HSC
From what I gather, some people who take a gap year lose the drive to study and never actually end up going to uni. So theres also that to consider.

alphaisanidiot

HSC
I did the HSC in 2008, and though I didn't plan it to happen this way, I ended up taking a gap year.

At the beginning having all my friends at uni and me just working, I felt like I was being left behind and had no direction. But this year turned out pretty well for me in the end. I have money and won't have to stress about working so much while at uni, did so many things I wouldn't have otherwise and I also had time to truly think about what I wanted to do and which uni I wanted to go.

But the year off also made me realise how much I miss having study to do and something purposeful to work towards.

I know people say that after a gap year, they don't want to go back to study, but I definitely do. I guess it's different for everyone.

On the friends thing, you don't really get left behind because everybody's degrees are different lengths and there are so many people at uni from so many walks of life and ranging in ages. Plus, you don't really see your friends much unless you go to the same one and car pool or meet up in breaks.
Uni is a great chance to meet new people.

But, if you can avoid it, do NOT take a gap year. I mean unless you have awesome plans already in motion to spend it overseas or something. But if you do take one, it's not the end of the world. They are kind of pointless though. I am so glad the year is nearly over!

Simo91

HSC
From what I gather, some people who take a gap year lose the drive to study and never actually end up going to uni. So theres also that to consider.
I've heard from my teacher that it's the opposite in some cases. He said a person he knew went better than the rest of their class because of the break, compared to those who went straight to uni.

It's all up to personal preference though and whether you would rather be in a graduate job earlier rather than an extra year later.

Daisuke

HSC
The attachment is an American article, but some parts are still relevant to an Australian audience.

cassiecocaine

HSC
I knew I wanted to take a gap year as soon as I started year 12, but the thought was more based towards 'yay, i'm finally going to be finished school and get a year off!'

But then maybe two weeks after the HSC finished, I really missed school, and study and 'something to work towards.' My plan for the gap year is just working two jobs, earning lots of money, getting some theatre experience, and maybe small travelling. I hope it can last me the whole yea before I start uni.

Also, I think I want to procrastinate uni because i'm terrified of new things haha.

BobMoo

HSC
Go to Uni/Tafe straight after you finish school. Studies show that if you take a year off, you're more likely to slack of in studies during Uni/Tafe.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I am tending towards disagreeing with the whole 'Gap year perpetuates loss of study habits', as I can only see people who are unambitious and lacking direction to go down this road.

I think it all depends on the underlying intention in having the gap year. If you just want a year off to relax and do some part-time work, I hardly think it's worth it. If you use the time to travel, or do something productive, then a year off can be wholly rewarding.

Someone said before that uni makes you grow up a lot. Yeah, it does, but wouldn't you say that traveling abroad makes you grow up even more? Mingling with different cultures in a foreign environment with both financial and social responsiblities? As far as I'm concerned, not having a workload, or needing to study hardly categorises a gap year as an easy option.

fsal

HSC
"
I did the HSC in 2008, and though I didn't plan it to happen this way, I ended up taking a gap year.

But the year off also made me realise how much I miss having study to do and something purposeful to work towards.

I know people say that after a gap year, they don't want to go back to study, but I definitely do. I guess it's different for everyone."

I totally agree, i took a gap year due to stress after the hsc. I was lucky enough to travel to Europe, however, i have never been so keen on going back to study. Thankfully its December now, only few months till uni starts, yay!

M@ster P

HSC
This is mostly aimed at people who have finished the HSC in 2008 and before. I'm wondering whether it is better to go straight into university or tafe following the HSC, or to defer for a year and work instead?
Personally, I'm torn and want to know the pros and cons of both.
I'm really interested in starting study once again, but at the same time I want to travel and spend a year basically gaining life experience [I live in a protective bubble] so that I don't end up a naive uni graduate at the end of it all.

So, what are the good and bad bits about going straight into uni/ into work?

Thanks
uni doesnt start till march, isn't 3 months enough for you?

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Straight to your tertiary institution you should adapt steadily with time.
Loss of motivation is usually for hypocrites, they study something they like and try to back out.

PenguinOfDeath

HSC
i know that personally, there is no way i could take a gap year, cos i would realise how great life is without education, and never return, and then i would work at target for the rest of my life...
its not that hard to work and study at the same time, i'm doing a double degree next year and still plan to work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)