Which IPT book do you recommend?! (1 Viewer)

2tangy

HSC
Hi, I was wondering which book do you guys recommend for ipt hsc .. any feedback will be greatly appreciated =)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I do prelim but we use Heinemann Prelim and its ok, we have started to use the HSC one also... seems ok to me... The excel ones are good 4 studying especially the revise HSC IPT in a month

^___^
HSC
Heinmann, u can't go wrong

also, read fatmuscle notes, although there are irrevelant info there(since his work is based on old syllabus), theres no harm in knowing more stuff :)

Taz

ThankGodItsNotStill2003
Well i'm gonna be different and recommend any books you can get your hands on... and by that i dont mean just one, i mean all of them. I did ipt last year and we mainly used heinemann but we also used excel, oh god... cant remember the other one... and also the past few years sample answers from past hsc's... it obviously worked coz i managed to get a few answers in this years book 2.

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
Textbook

I agree with Taz Heineman or P. Ware or Excel
I use every textbook I can get my hands on as well as Victorian and West Australian ones. But the best thing, I think, is to use the exams themselves and the "suggested answers". How students apply their knowledge to a specific question tends to be their downfall in exams.

gem_max

HSC
Combine the Heinemann notes with tidbits from the Excel text, memorise these and you wont have any trouble spewing out CORRECT written answers in the exam.

prusso

HSC
heinmann is a piece of shit...

theres a book called ipt hsc thats sick
also the excel and macq revision guides are good!

and fatmuscles ipt notes cover all of the core really well :p

C

CaR

im supplied with a number of resources for IPT including heinamann's, jacaranda and maquarie revision guide.

Personally, I prefer heinamann's because it basically covers the whole syllabus though jacaranda provides more information in certain topics such as data warehouse & mining, etc...which can be very useful. :p

Yaz88

CEO
HSC
i dnt think any of the ipt book are gud,.. macq and excel suk sumtyms they blabb on bout rubbish...heinemann had extra high tech crap dat u dnt need 2 no ...

Trev

stix
HSC
Yaz88 said:
i dnt think any of the ipt book are gud,.. macq and excel suk sumtyms they blabb on bout rubbish...heinemann had extra high tech crap dat u dnt need 2 no ...
i dont think it has high-tech crap, rather heinmann seems simple (i havent seen the other textbooks) and tends to have stoopd info that doesnt really give you the answer you need

Jait

HSC
N/A
Used heineman until I found a better text - Cambridge.

So I agree with freedom dragon I guess.

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
When excel appears different from what you learn in class....

DO NOT GO WITH EXCEL. It has some things that are wrong, that will confuse you and you'll start wondering which is right, changing your definition of things and it'll mess up your whole system and screw you over. My suggestion is if you find these, you should pour oil on these pages and burn them, and preferably have them erased from your memory if possible.

You could go with excel, but for that reason id recommend macquarie, but the heinemann textbook is good enough for IPT, really.

The revise in a month one is pretty good though - actually applies your knowledge.

EDIT: From what I've seen of the new ones, the errors corrected.

However, Heinemann is the best.
I didn't really like the Cambridge textbook at all but some think its good.

Last edited:

onigiri

HSC
For my school we use Heinemann. Thoguh I don't find it the best because it doesn't explain things enough and when I ask my teacher its even worst cos hes not even qualified to teach. As a supp I use mac revision guide, actually the whole mac series is good for study guides. It sets out everything from the syllabus :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Hienmann is the best...i was sitting trying to study a few days a ago and my teacher issued us with an excel, maquarie and jackeranda book...i looked at the others but hienmann was the best!

gem_max

HSC
yep heinmann pretty much has everything you need. Elaborate your ipt exam notes by combining important bits from it and the excel book, memorise all the definitions and where certain things can be applied etc and you'll be on your way to band 6 ipt marks... I got top 2% of the state in 2003 by doing this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)