• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which car should i get? (1 Viewer)

F2001

HSC
Well maybe not so much the BMW, but certainly with the Celica (seriously uncool) and the RX8, you won't be able to drive them like they're supposed to be driven if you can't drive in manual. Also, shit fuel consumption.

Get a Golf.
BMW steptronics esp in the E46 are notorious for selection problems (visit noreverse.org)
Stay away from one with high mileage.

I have two mates who own E46 325ci, one is facelift auto, the other is 2002 manual.
The one with the auto commented how much it robs power after he stepped out of a drive in the manual 02.
I drove the manual and it seemed just as bad than my 4cyl turbo down low.

Golfs, FWD. Fail. The only great thing about them was the integration of DSG, too bad Audi 8J/8P platform + the longitudinal cars (ie A4/Q5) get the same thing/newer DSG boxes. Plus in those cars you have the option of haldex or torsen AWD.

The fact that it's a Ford, and thus the build quality is so shit it's not worth the money for a better engine.

An engine does not a car make.
They are German designed/built/engineered.
They've also outsold the Golf in Europe now.

If you're going to pay good money for new car, wouldn't you get one with a higher safety rating as possible?

My 1998 Saab 9-3 S 5-speed manual has a 2.3L engine (0-100 in 11 seconds, which isn't bad for its weight), looks a hundred times better and is about a billion times safer than the Jazz.

Safety, valid point, but are you just focusing on crash ratings??
What about a car that also enables you to get out of sticky situations

A N/A Saab is also a big fail. What is it? circa 1350-1450kg or something? 11 seconds is really slow! Don't tout it's speed.:haha:

And Mercs and Beamers depreciate just as badly. Does that mean Honda > anything else that depreciates? :rolleyes:
I see it this way:

Depreciation (most to least):
1) Saab
2) VW
3) Audi
4) BMW
5) Merc

Anyway, someone considering resale/depreciation really should rethink their purchase. It's a car.

Well, that's not strictly true. There are some cars that P-platers can buy/drive with permission from the RTA, even if it's not the only car in the family. You still need to send in an application, but they're generally accepted.

Many European (in particular) small cars/hatches are on the list - including the new Volkswagen Golf FSI, which has a turbocharger and a supercharger, and I can drive even though I'm a green P-plater.
IIRC only the Polo is twincharged?

She means the TSIs.
TSI is the new badging for the new gen 2.0Ts with revised cam/HPFP system.
FSI = outgoing.
TSI = incoming.

I recall this badge was also used on the 1.4 engine, that is not related to the above.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC

You can probably find a used N/A one for ~25k. They'll go quick, very nice interior (the one I was in was heavily optioned though), awesome safety rating, easy to find parts for (if you're into modding), won a bunch of awards etc. Try to find one with a 6spd ZF and you're sweet.

Edit:
May have been a bit too generous, slightly used N/A XR6s are ~$29k.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
BMW steptronics esp in the E46 are notorious for selection problems (visit noreverse.org)
Stay away from one with high mileage.

I have two mates who own E46 325ci, one is facelift auto, the other is 2002 manual.
The one with the auto commented how much it robs power after he stepped out of a drive in the manual 02.
I drove the manual and it seemed just as bad than my 4cyl turbo down low.
Agreed re: e46 auto. We have a 328i and 330Ci, and in both cases, the Auto was really having trouble later on in the car's life. For the 330, we ended up swapping it out and installing a normal 5 spd manual (whilst our mate did a conversion to the SMG). The manual worked alot better with the engine's power. Note that before converting to manual we blew the auto when we supercharged the 330 so be careful if you want to mod.

EpicFailGuy

Banned
HSC
Where the hell do people get this kind of money anyways?

09er getting rx8?

wtf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)