Which broadband to choose? (1 Viewer)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
read the UAI forums to inspire u and then ull get off :p

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
we have dodo adsl... $65 per month with unlimited downloads... its really good... its "only" 256 but after ebing stuck with aol for ages god dam it this is brilliant

dudditz

Retired Member
HSC
dodo is on comindico, anything on comindico bites.
I'm currently on iiNet, but moving soon. Maybe to DART, if they change wholesale providers to Connect.
Nullus is also good, they are on the datafast network, so yeah.
Anything on Comindico though (inc Ozforces) is bad news.

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
What's comindico like? Is the latency (pings) bad, or is the download speed bad? Or both? What sort of speeds/pings do you get?

Because I've heard that with TPG unlimited (although TPG isn't with comindico), the speeds are great (always near full speeds) but their latency (pings) is shocking which means it's good for downloading, but it isn't good for gaming.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
havent gamed yet, but im happy with downloading.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
i got the tpg 512k plan with the free usb modem, and it hasen't even been a month now and already my modem is wrecked!!!:mad: i sent it back to the modem manufacturers, but damn their gonna take ages (and i'll still be paying to tpg...) to fix up da modem:mad1:!!

so the moral of the story is: NEVER GET A USB MODEM!!!!

lbft

Geek
HSC
I'm on iiNet's 256/64 ADSL plan...3gb of downloads between 8am and midnight and then another 2gb between midnight and 8am. Trying to convince my parents to upgrade to 512/128 with 10gb peak/6gb offpeak...*drool*

Changing ADSL ISPs is much simpler now that there's something called Fast Churn -- if the ISP supports it, you can change ISPs for a much cheaper cost and with only about 4 hours downtime between ISPs.

As some have said, if you're considering getting broadband you really should check out www.whirlpool.net.au , especially Broadband Choice and the Forums. Check out the forums, see what people are saying, find out which ISPs are connected to which peering networks (i.e. you'll probably want an ISP connected to PIPE (www.pipenetworks.com) in NSW -- free downloads!

I personally use a Billion BIPAC 711-CE modem, bought it from PC Range in SA. Has USB and Ethernet, I'm using the USB and have had no problems.

sure`SMD

hey freaking_out with tpg do you get a choice between a ethernet/usb modem?

and is it only free* as long as your with them or can you still keep it after if you decided to quit using TPG

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
they only give you a usb modem. i think you can choose to either take the modem or take a $50 discount on a different modem. you can also buy other modems from them. its free if you sign up to an unlimited plan and its yours, so you keep it after youve decided to quit tpg.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by ezzy85
they only give you a usb modem. i think you can choose to either take the modem or take a $50 discount on a different modem. you can also buy other modems from them. its free if you sign up to an unlimited plan and its yours, so you keep it after youve decided to quit tpg.

yep, he said it all.:D

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *~Dazed~*
What is comindico??????
(Walking advertisement)

Comindico is committed to delivering carrier grade services and being a real competitor to the traditional telecommunications companies, delivering IP based communication services and products to both the Rural and Metropolitan areas of Australia.

Comindico's focus is based on a commitment to challenge traditional boundaries, incorporate change and encourage entrepreneurial flair.

We have successfully united different technological interaction between voice, data, audio and video. Comindico's network allows these technologies to be transmitted, hosted and delivered across one convergent network.

We are the first Australian company to build a 100% national Cisco Powered Network, and successfully complete SS7, IP to PSTN interconnect trials for the carriage of voice and data.

Comindico is leading the way in harnessing advantages provided by the newest technologies, and is proactively seeking out the latest innovations and the benefits they offer to our customers through our strategic alliances with key IT&T vendors and partners.

Providing Australia wide communication services and solutions ranging from Internet connectivity to VoIP. To enable our customers to exploit their full potential is our key purpose.

www.comindico.com.au :D

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
What is comindico??????
It's a wholesale Internet provider, which a number Australian ISPs (ADSL as well as dialup) use. ISPs that use Comindico as their wholesaler are known as "Comindico Resellers" (e.g. Dodo, Ozforces, Ihug).

Since Comindico are one of the few wholesalers providing unlimited ADSL at relatively cheap prices, the ISPs that are "Comindico Resellers" supposedly attract people who leech (download) alot and slow down the Internet speeds for all other Comindico users (including customers of other Comindico resellers). ADSL users are affected in particular. Keep in mind though that this is what I've heard from a large number of customers of Comindico Resellers, so it's second hand information that I can't verify myself. :)

[Edit] Huy, do you (or someone you know) work for Comindico by any chance? ;) :p

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by wogboy
[Edit] Huy, do you (or someone you know) work for Comindico by any chance? ;) :p
Nope, I was just being an ass about it :)
I'm a school student, although I wouldn't mind working for an ISP.

HSC
hmmm

i just noticed that my optus Pro cable plan increased its DL limit to 6gigs
woohooo~!

extra gig!!
i usually run out with 5gigs like 2.5weeks into a month
lol

tempco

HSC
i'm getting on OzADSL in a few days! :D

$130 installation (without modem - getting a Billion $160)
$80 per month
512/128
UNLIMITED

arghhh.. cant wait to get off this optus 3GB crap! i have 100mb left! :/

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
im luving iinet i get 2 accounts coz i share with my friend so its 32gigs altogether!!! hahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)