Which broadband to choose? (1 Viewer)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
im getting broadband and dont know which is the best provider? is cable better than adsl? with adsl, do you pay for calls?
thanks

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Not Pacific Internet.

Cable is better (I am using it right now, after using ADSL for a few months, trust me, you can tell the difference).

No call charge with ADSL.

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Choose ADSL instead of cable because cable is a rip-off in Australia (the only two companies that offer widespread cable access are Telstra & Optus and these are quite expensive for a decent download limit), even though cable is a fair bit faster than ADSL. With ADSL there's heaps of ISPs to choose from, and it's cheaper overall. Popular ISPs for ADSL include iiNet (which I'm with now), Netspace, Dodo, TPG etc Check out this site for more info:

www.broadbandchoice.com.au
(they also have discussion forums whre you can read some feedback from users of a particular ISP)

With ADSL, even though it's through your phone line, you don't have to pay anything to connect (like you do with dialup) and it doesn't hold up you phone line (i.e. you can use your phone while surfing the net), so in effect it's like cable. Cable internet goes through a totally separate wire to your phone line.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
thanks for ur help. i forgot to mention that i wanted to be able to use the connection on two computers in my house. will i need a special modem or just a hub?

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
To share an ADSL connection you need to buy a router and hub. The easiest way to share an ADSL connection is by buying a 4-port router (which is an ADSL modem, router, and hub all in one), such as the D-Link DSL504 model (http://www.dlink.com.au/products/routers/). If you buy one of these, this you won't need to buy a hub. If you already have a hub that you want to use, then you can buy just a standard ADSL router such as the D-Link DSL500, and connect your hub to it. You can buy one of these when you sign up with an ISP. If you can't afford a D-Link router (they're pretty expensive), you can go for another brand such as Billion, they also make ADSL routers, and I've heard that they are as good as D-Link ones, just cheaper (http://www.warcom.com.au/?page=shop/browse&category_id=3b8089b4de51e129b66ee5d8099d1a3e) (the $230 billion router you see on that page is equivalent to a D-Link DSL504).

I'm don't know how a cable internet connection is shared, but it probably wouldn't be much different to sharing an ADSL connection, it's just that you need to get a cable router not an ADSL router or something (just guessing here:)).

In theory, you can share a broadband internet connection (or even dialup) between computers by using just a normal ADSL modem (not a router) by using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which is built into Windows 98 and later versions, but I've heard this is quite a troublesome process and the ICS software is buggy so it's not worth the effort of doing it if you can get a router from somewhere.

There's a good site you can go to read some more info on broadband hardware here: http://www.ozcableguy.com/

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Also if you get an ADSL connection, you need to put ADSL filters on all your telephones, and telephone equiptment (e.g. faxes), so you can use the ADSL simultanously with the telephone so they won't interfere with each other. If you buy an ADSL modem/router from your ISP, then they'll usually give you a filter as well as the modem. Otherwise, if you buy the modem/router yourself, then you need to get the filters separately.

Another option instead of putting many line filters (if you have too much other phone devices on your line) is buying one central splitter, so you don't need to put line filters on each device. To install one of these splitters, you'd need to get a licensed electrician to install it for you, since it goes directly on your phone line (probably underneath your house or on the roof).

Last edited:

Macccca

wazzlewoozle
Ezzy, get TPG Unlimited adsl (www.tpg.com.au), its what i have and its great, you get a free modem and its pretty cheap. You do need to put filters on your phones but you can buy these from TPG

At the moment im sharing my connection on 2 pcs. To share the connection you just need 2 pcs, 2 network cards and some network cable, no hubs no routers.

Windows Internet Sharing is the easiest thing in the world to setup, if you have a network already you just enable the ICS option. It may have been buggy in early versions but if you are using XP its easy as piss and works like a charm.

If you need more info you can speak to me on msn, get raging fuel to give you my details. (Its Macca from Reddam/High)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by wogboy

I'm don't know how a cable internet connection is shared, but it probably wouldn't be much different to sharing an ADSL connection, it's just that you need to get a cable router not an ADSL router or something (just guessing here:)).
This is true ...

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
I signed up with TPG unlimited downloads. thanks everyone for the advice, it helped heaps.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
eeeek!

i've only heard bad stuff about TPG :eek:

good luck with it though :D

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
yeah, i heard bad stuff about their dialup. but anythings better than dialup i guess.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i use adsl and use a switch to share connection between 7 computers

telstra adsl 95 or sth a month

cant eb bothered changing isp too much hassle

adsl has the ability to go faster than cable... yet i dont think any australian adsl isp provides really really fast connections faster than the cable available say compared to korea

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
i just signed up for tpg with their free usb modem offer, but i have been waiting for like 2 weeks and nothing has happened to get my connection up and running. i haven't got my modem!!!!!!!! anyways i gotta a shit computer (pentium 3 550 with 128 ram) to run the usb modem, as i heard that usb modem slows down ya computer. :mad1:

hazza

dont get a fucking usb modem!!

always get a ethernet modem!

and sign up with tpg they be good, dont get a commindico resller! also try find out the connection ratios. and check out www.whirlpool.net.au click on the broadbandchoice forum thing. realllyyy good infffoo

Actuarial Boy
HSC
yeah ethernet modems don't require drivers and most likely to not fuk up... i think

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i thought ethernet modems were cheaper~?
i dunno

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
i thought ethernet modems were cheaper~?
Nope USB modems are usually cheaper than Ethernet, but it's worth paying the extra cost of ethernet modems in my opinion, since they're less likely to give trouble, they chew up more system resources, require drivers which makes them less compatible with non Windows OS's like Linux , and it's harder to set up ICS (Internet connection sharing) with USB modems.

Having said that, if you don't need it to be compatible with non Windows OS's, don't have intentions of sharing your connection, and have a computer with enough RAM/CPU power, then by all means a USB modem is fine.

Macccca

wazzlewoozle
usb is fine.

if you dont have enough resources to run a usb modem, you shouldnt be using the internet.

Drivers are given on included cds so that no problem.

ICS doesnt depend on the type of device, if works just as well either way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)