which actuarial degree is better? (1 Viewer)

maniacguy

That would be four people doing actuarial/physics, I assume. I know there are a lot more than that doing (or hoping to do) actuarial, since your first year lecture supposedly has over 200 people in it (and no offence, but I'm not sure how many of those will stay around).

I also liked the way your lecturer apparently responded to our asking him to promote the guest lectures:

"Do you need to go to the guest lectures?"
"Answer: Yes. I will treat anything from those lectures as examinable."

(Hopefully he was joking, or we'll have to book a bigger lecture theatre because of all the first-years. It's not as if it hugely applies to you guys yet anyway. The free pizza is the only real reason to go... Trouble is, with Sachi you can't tell if he's joking or not. From what I've seen he's a damn good lecturer though, even if he can't pronounce your tutors' names (ironically the one he got wrong was the shortest one :p))

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
r u guys on coop sholarships?
bluddy coops are stealing mq graduate jobs. unsw has too much money is a marketing machine. So i'll conclude that if u have coop scholarship wiv unsw, goto unsw, otherwise mq.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
goto ur careers adviser and ask for forms. they'll organise an interview if they think ur worth the time. (juz put a pic of ur avatar in and they'll organise the interview). If u get plastic surgery and look like ur avatar then the scholarship is urs.

ricenoodles

HSC
oh but i already look like my avatar :p

neways yeh...are there any requirements needed for a coop scholarship?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
nuffin much
its mainly down to the interview
if ur intelligent, have the charm and charisma, and know how to bs in style, then you're in. Or like I said, u juz need to look like ur avatar and put on a smile.

kaseita

Originally posted by maniacguy
That would be four people doing actuarial/physics, I assume. I know there are a lot more than that doing (or hoping to do) actuarial, since your first year lecture supposedly has over 200 people in it (and no offence, but I'm not sure how many of those will stay around).

I also liked the way your lecturer apparently responded to our asking him to promote the guest lectures:

"Do you need to go to the guest lectures?"
"Answer: Yes. I will treat anything from those lectures as examinable."

(Hopefully he was joking, or we'll have to book a bigger lecture theatre because of all the first-years. It's not as if it hugely applies to you guys yet anyway. The free pizza is the only real reason to go... Trouble is, with Sachi you can't tell if he's joking or not. From what I've seen he's a damn good lecturer though, even if he can't pronounce your tutors' names (ironically the one he got wrong was the shortest one :p))
yea, only 4 as far as I know. 2 in first year, 1 in 4th year, can't remember which yr hte other is in.

nah, we never had 200. I think we started with like 170/180 - but looking around the lecture hall now, we have like 100 left.

yea he did say that! I don't think anyone took it as a joke (I didn't)
there wasn't enough free pizza too, so it wasn't much of an incentive either. it all kind of disappeared in like 5 seconds.
ppl are such scabs! there were some walkin round with like 5 pieces in their hands, and the rest didn't get any

was quite disappointed :mad1:

I think ur goina have to book a bigger lecture theatre - well take a look at next week's turn out and see how it goes

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
nuffin much
its mainly down to the interview
if ur intelligent, have the charm and charisma, and know how to bs in style, then you're in. Or like I said, u juz need to look like ur avatar and put on a smile.
In truth, that's what it comes down to... Which is a good thing, I must say! :)

maniacguy

yea he did say that! I don't think anyone took it as a joke (I didn't)
there wasn't enough free pizza too, so it wasn't much of an incentive either. it all kind of disappeared in like 5 seconds.
ppl are such scabs! there were some walkin round with like 5 pieces in their hands, and the rest didn't get any

was quite disappointed

I think ur goina have to book a bigger lecture theatre - well take a look at next week's turn out and see how it goes
Well, they say that every year. The thing is, that Sachi might just test it (with him you can't tell).

As for the pizza, yeah, there wasn't enough, but we based it on the number of people that were turning up last semester - this many was more than enough back then.

There were about 15 people who waited around outside then turned up just for the pizza, which was disappointing. We're going to try and have it better organized to avoid that this week (well, we can't tell who was in there or not, but we can make sure people don't just grab a whole box and run off - which happened!)

Keep turning up though - the staff were happy with the turnout, and will book a bigger lecture theatre if it keeps up...

In other news, the JASS Dinner (UNSW and Macquarie) is coming up in less than two months. Watch out for when the advertising and ticket selling starts...

maniacguy

There's more than 100 actuarial students at UNSW. How many would you say there were at MQ though?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Currently, 180+. But that number should plummet within a year's time. :p

UNSW has Co-Ops... so unfair!

kaseita

well, you could always just serve the people coming out of the lecture - have someone doing traffic control, so the ppl outside don't get it

actually, one of my buds from eng came to the lecture, just to get the free pizza lol. I guess he was a good sport in at least filling up the numbers in the hall (rather than waiting outside)

yea, I'll be there - some ppl who went last sem said it was good, so I'll see how it goes :)

I just found out today that some ppl are just postponing doing actl, just to see how we do this year - sounds kinda stoopid to me

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Originally posted by maniacguy

In other news, the JASS Dinner (UNSW and Macquarie) is coming up in less than two months. Watch out for when the advertising and ticket selling starts...
yeah im designing the poster for that. "Imagine" is the theme. You guys can have sneak preview:

Assoc presents the annual...

ACTUARIAL BALL (picture of a football)

Imagine...if you SCORE!!!

maniacguy

well, you could always just serve the people coming out of the lecture - have someone doing traffic control, so the ppl outside don't get it

actually, one of my buds from eng came to the lecture, just to get the free pizza lol. I guess he was a good sport in at least filling up the numbers in the hall (rather than waiting outside)
You do know we were turning away actuarial students who wanted to listen in on the lecture because there was no room? (Not that I've got a personal issue with your friend wanting free pizza, but he would probably have been more helpful if he'd waited outside - the pizza is meant to be an added bonus rather than the whole point in any case)

Traffic control - we'll see how this lecture goes.

-=MLhtʻ=- - that's a bit humorous, I guess, though it doesn't really work on the bulletin board... (our poster is going to rip off a scene from Final fantasy :p)

kaseita

hmm, well he didn't come this time

I think you guys better get a bigger lecture theatre - definitely too small!

and the pizza thing actually worked this time - not as many ppl missed out (and not as big a rush either!)

which FF?

Mill

HSC
I went to the first one with Sherris and it was packed. I assume it's still in CLB2. Now I can't be bothered to come in so early during the day. If it was at a better time I might be willing to go. The pizza isn't a massive issue for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)