which actuarial degree is better? (1 Viewer)

kaseita

yea, that's alex
don't think that's the right leon though (don't think he went to baulko)
leon's got dyed hair, wears lots of rings

kaseita

well actually, as part of the requirements, I think we need to have at least 3 months job experience in some actuarial field, before going to part2, which u do in uni (if I remember right)
and there's that year overseas if you wanna do part3.

no idea what school his from. but his quite distinct

maniacguy

Part II can only be done at a Uni, yes. I'm not sure whether the work experience requirement is set in stone or not - you can apply for a waiver under certain circumstances...

Part III does not have a year overseas - it's a year of work experience :D (or it was. If they've changed it I should find out about that :) )

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Part II (just like Part I and Part III) can be done externally. Except we are offered exemptions through our respective Universities if we achieve a certain grade in certain subjects.

Part III requires 1 year work-experience, as well as two-years worth of external study (although the select few can do that in just one-year).

:)

maniacguy

No, there isn't an external way to do Part II - it has to be done through a University (see the IAAust website at www.actuaries.asn.au - there's no mention of any way other than through universities).

Part III can only be done externally (through the IAAust) and Part I can be done via either method with subjects to get exemptions offered at the universities.

(the review of Part III is ongoing - there was consideration of shifting it to doing just one area instead of two, amongst other things.)

maniacguy

and a moment later I find in the "What's new" section of the IAAust website a 'Request for Tender' dealing with the new Part III where there will be four modules, two of which have compulsory content and the other two being done in one of four areas:
Finance & Investments, General Insurance, Life Insurance, Superannuation & Planned Savings

For more details see the website...

RIZAL

HSC
RE the workload of actuarial studies.

Speaking from an 'average' Macquarie students point of view (I'll probably get a GPA of 3) I would say that the workload is around double that of the HSC with significant hours of study being needed before any results are gained.

As for what is better between UNSW and Mac....I've heard that the UNSW Co-op scholarship Actuarial Students receive workplacement experience during the holidays with companies like AMP and PWC. This point alone could almost warrant me wanting to switch to UNSW.

Then again, I'd wake up and see the qualifications of the Macquarie Actuarial staff - 8 of them have FIAA qualifications whilst AIAA qualified John Shepherd created the control cycle himself. Plus there is the reputation of the degree etc etc...

Anyway, all will be decided with the commencement of the.....inter uni actuarial soccer comp next sem!

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
ye
well you see, these comps are actually our secret plan to distract our competitors from their studies, while we stay home and study hardcore.

maniacguy

Ah, yes the soccer comp...

This is like the basketball comp that UNSW were going to get flogged in, is it not?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
..just a thought...
in 10 or 20+ years of experience as working as an actuarist..would it matter which uni you went to...your still an actuarist right.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I'd make not much difference... but I guess it depends what reputation UNSW graduates make for themselves... and that we don't actually know...

(And we don't know how UNSW Actuarial grads will fair in Part III.)

kaseita

yea...they're not even through the program yet

hmm...I may even think of going for the soccer comp - just for the sake of avoiding studies ;)

It wouldn't matter - what would matter is if going to UNSW meant you didn't get a job as an actuarist in the first place :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)