Where to study law, and what to combine with? (and other such questions) (1 Viewer)

JayJayz22

HSC
Hi, I have completed the HSC this year. My ATAR is 99.55, and I am in a little bit of a dilemma. My goal is to study law, and has been over the course of my HSC.

Firstly, I am deciding between uSyd and uNSW. I attended both university's open days, and was impressed by both campuses and their atmosphere. I am interested in how both approach the way they teach law, and how the two differ?

I am also deciding which other degree to study law with. I am interested in the media degree offered at uSyd, although the longer degree (6 years) is a little bit of turn-off, particularly if another degree (such as B Commerce) offers better job prospects in a shorter amount of time.

I didn't study any social sciences over the course of the HSC, so I do not know if I have a particular interest in the B Commerce, but I enjoyed the financial mathematics of 2/3u mathematics, and commerce as a whole intrigues me.

Which of the two (Commerce or Arts) will give me better prospects in the long run (in terms of studying and ease in combination with the law degree, and the prospects after university)? Also, which university would be better for either degree? I've been led to believe that uSyd caters better to arts, and uNSW to commerce; is this correct?

Is it likely that the entry ATAR into undergrad law at uSyd will remain at 99.55, or is it likely to increase? Likewise with uNSW's 99.40?

Also, is the bus ride from central to uNSW around about 15 minutes, or am I being led up the garden path in this fact?

Thank you. :)

Michellle

HSC
Well it really depends on what you major in for law, arts and commerce.

I personally would prefer arts/law. where arts i would major psychology. I guess this can complment with law when you deal with 'real life' cases.

But form what you're saying, you seem very interested in commerce more.
Maybe you should ask a friend who is doings arts/commerce and ask them which is better. And ask them to lend you thier books just to see which wone is more interesting for you.

:spin:

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Firstly, I am deciding between uSyd and uNSW. I attended both university's open days, and was impressed by both campuses and their atmosphere. I am interested in how both approach the way they teach law, and how the two differ?
Use the search function. Seriously, this is asked in every single thread.

I am also deciding which other degree to study law with. I am interested in the media degree offered at uSyd, although the longer degree (6 years) is a little bit of turn-off, particularly if another degree (such as B Commerce) offers better job prospects in a shorter amount of time.

I didn't study any social sciences over the course of the HSC, so I do not know if I have a particular interest in the B Commerce, but I enjoyed the financial mathematics of 2/3u mathematics, and commerce as a whole intrigues me.

Which of the two (Commerce or Arts) will give me better prospects in the long run (in terms of studying and ease in combination with the law degree, and the prospects after university)? Also, which university would be better for either degree? I've been led to believe that uSyd caters better to arts, and uNSW to commerce; is this correct?
If you want to be a lawyer, then the difference in job prospects are negligible. If you think you might want to do something more in the commercial sphere, or are very convinced that the commercial side of law is what you're into, then I'd definitely do commerce.

Sydney is unequivocally better for Arts than UNSW. I'd personally rate UNSW as above Sydney for commerce but it's pretty hard to say. I think UNSW is particularly good at economics if that's what you're after.

Is it likely that the entry ATAR into undergrad law at uSyd will remain at 99.55, or is it likely to increase? Likewise with uNSW's 99.40?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first year with the ATAR? So I don't think the entrance rank will 'remain' anywhere. As I understand the system, simply because the UAI went to 100.00 and the ATAR only reaches 99.95, wouldn't that knock 0.05 off the requirements? In any case, I have little doubt you'll get into both universities.

Also, is the bus ride from central to uNSW around about 15 minutes, or am I being led up the garden path in this fact?
I can't really help you with this one.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I went to Sydney Boys, so we pretty caught the same buses as UNSW students did (well, same bus route). To get to my school was about 5-10minutes, so to get to UNSW, it's about 10-20, depending on traffic.

But yeah, I got a high enough ATAR to do Law, and I'm choosing Arts/Law at USyd. I like the campus at USyd a lot more, and aside from the fact that quite a few of my friends will be going there as well. :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Do Arts if you want more flexibility. People usually combine it with Arts when they have a specific interest they like to pursue. e.g. History or a language (which you cannot do it in any other degree). If you want to go for Arts, choose Usyd. They have more choices over UNSW.

For better career prospect, do commerce. UNSW is pretty good in commerce.

From experience it will be very similar.

The bus ride from Central Station to UNSW is about 15 min. So it's not too bad. I put up with it for 6 years. :D

By the way, well done on your fantastic ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)