Where to get Japanese stuff (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AsyLum
Still trying to find some jrock though
as am i. a little help here? i asked one of my friends, but she said she bought all her jrock in LA

daydreamkitty

Love me hate me, meh.....
HSC
If your interested ....
I love 'cute stuff' thats mainly what i call japanese products....

A good place to find note pads and homewares , diaryies is Sanrio Gift Gate is shop number 2-353 on level 3 of Westfield Burwood .... it has a big red outline of 'hello kitty' so you can't miss it !

It maybe expensive , but wait for the sales ....
in december i got 3 'hello kitty' notepads for $4.50

-Loui

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by babydoll_
as am i. a little help here? i asked one of my friends, but she said she bought all her jrock in LA

yeah no ones seems to stock around my area so ive had to import using web :|

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
try somwhere like amazon i think the jap address is amazon.jp or some similar variant.
i've seen a few places who sell online and get their stuff direct from japan, ebay is always a good place to look... and if you find someone who does that get friendly ;)

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AsyLum
Ive imported most of my hikki collection and boa collection...

Still trying to find some jrock though
What "Jrock" are you two (babydoll_ and Asylum) looking for? Any particular groups?

Originally posted by Lexicographer
Furuhonya
Ramen Genki
I just ventured to Atarmon a few nights ago. Furuhonya was closed, but Ramen Genki was still open, an amazing place to eat (fully recommended). Katsu ;)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes, furuhonya isn't open nearly as late as Ramen Genki but it's still worth a look if you're there for lunch.

I haven't been up that way in a while actually...

Any other shops we've missed? J-belle, please impart your insider knowledge!

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
well i went to marigold centre today. $20 for l'arc~en~ciel single! grr! i want l'arc, luna sea, kinki kids (they had that but i was liek "nah", dunno why), ZONE and FAKE?.

the zone album had 8 tracks wtf!!! $32

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Yes, furuhonya isn't open nearly as late as Ramen Genki but it's still worth a look if you're there for lunch.

I haven't been up that way in a while actually...

Any other shops we've missed? J-belle, please impart your insider knowledge!
I have no insider knowledge! You guys are the 'locals' here! Unless you're asking me to compare the Japanese restaurants I have been to here?

well i went to marigold centre today. $20 for l'arc~en~ciel single! grr! i want l'arc, luna sea, kinki kids (they had that but i was liek "nah", dunno why), ZONE and FAKE?.

the zone album had 8 tracks wtf!!! $32
For these bands (especially 'FAKE?') the most cost-effective method would be to find the CD playlist on the net, and fire up kazaa lite. If you're really keen to have the booklet, then you should have no problem downloading that either.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by j-belle
I have no insider knowledge! You guys are the 'locals' here! Unless you're asking me to compare the Japanese restaurants I have been to here?
Yes. And bookstores, etc. Please. :)
For these bands (especially 'FAKE?') the most cost-effective method would be to find the CD playlist on the net, and fire up kazaa lite. If you're really keen to have the booklet, then you should have no problem downloading that either.
[ehem]

Bored of Studies, its owners, representatives, affiliates and members neither condone nore promote the execution of any illegal or potentially illegal activity in any way, shape or form. If any information is given regarding such activity it is for educational purposes only, provided with no recommendation and is to be used at the sole discretion of the viewers. We will not be held accountable for any legal consequenses that may occur directly or indirectly relating to the use of this information. It is provided as is, with no guarantee of accuracy or legitemacy (implied or otherwise).

I made that up just now, so it might not cover all avenues, but you get the idea. That said, she's right. Go for your life. :p

j-belle

HSC
N/A
[ehem]

Bored of Studies, its owners, representatives, affiliates and members neither condone nore promote the execution of any illegal or potentially illegal activity in any way, shape or form. If any information is given regarding such activity it is for educational purposes only, provided with no recommendation and is to be used at the sole discretion of the viewers. We will not be held accountable for any legal consequenses that may occur directly or indirectly relating to the use of this information. It is provided as is, with no guarantee of accuracy or legitemacy (implied or otherwise).

I made that up just now, so it might not cover all avenues, but you get the idea. That said, she's right. Go for your life. :p
Well it's lucky that the Japanese Recording Industry doesn't browse BoS :p, because I'm sure ARIA couldn't care less if we d/l some Japanese music (nor would they have a legal leg to stand on).

It's not illegal to d/l songs/album covers if you already have the CD. I assumed babydoll_ & Asylum had somehow misplaced their legal copies ;)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Actually the law you've cited is an American one. We in Australia don't even have that small grace!

Yumi, do you know anywhere I could get authentic sountracks from Japanese Games? I'm sick of seeing all these "Shipping from Singapore" sales on eBay etc, and I very much want my Zelda OSTs. Stupid Bootleggers. I'll probably have to go to Japan myself and buy them :(

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Actually the law you've cited is an American one. We in Australia don't even have that small grace!
Haha ok!

Yumi, do you know anywhere I could get authentic sountracks from Japanese Games? I'm sick of seeing all these "Shipping from Singapore" sales on eBay etc, and I very much want my Zelda OSTs. Stupid Bootleggers. I'll probably have to go to Japan myself and buy them :(
What do you mean by Japanese Game soundtracks?

Is it like a compilation CD of all the music and themes found in a game (eg Zelda: The Ocarina of Time)?

I thought bootlegging was the term for illegally videoing concerts and movies?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
bootlegging has several contexts nowdays, they can be official bootlegs, or not ( for music )

any reproduction of movies from a theatre is illegal if im not mistaken

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
What do you mean by Japanese Game soundtracks?

Is it like a compilation CD of all the music and themes found in a game (eg Zelda: The Ocarina of Time)?
Put simply, yes. Only in Japan do producers of games (mostly Nintendo and other RPG types like SquareEnix) release the full soundtracks of their game music, often with extra tracks. This is a real blessing for games like the Final Fantasy or Zelda series, where each piece is especially commissioned (and usually excellent). Ocarina of Time is reputed to be one of the best, but I personally LOVE the Wind Waker theme.
I thought bootlegging was the term for illegally videoing concerts and movies?
Bootlegging originally referred to the smuggling or illegal production of Alcohol in America during the Prohibition era (C1920).

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Put simply, yes. Only in Japan do producers of games (mostly Nintendo and other RPG types like SquareEnix) release the full soundtracks of their game music, often with extra tracks. This is a real blessing for games like the Final Fantasy or Zelda series, where each piece is especially commissioned (and usually excellent). Ocarina of Time is reputed to be one of the best, but I personally LOVE the Wind Waker theme.
Yes, I've seen lots of these in Japan (in normal CD stores - not video game stores). The most popular ones seem to be the Zelda and Final Fantasy series.

The problem is that the CD stores are similar to say, HMV here - they won't bother sending a CD overseas for one customer. Nevertheless, I'll look into it :)

Have you considered the Japanese versions of Ebay etc?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm not willing to buy by auction in Japanese because on E-Bay the only things I have to go by are the seller's description, and if the item is a bootleg it would be very easy for me to miss the clues in Japanese.

I probably should look into online CD stores though, because at least then I have a chance they'll be authentic. Yumi, what are the big CD chains in Japan?

(modnote: if you don't want your name exposed on the forum just edit my post :))

j-belle

HSC
N/A
I'm not willing to buy by auction in Japanese because on E-Bay the only things I have to go by are the seller's description, and if the item is a bootleg it would be very easy for me to miss the clues in Japanese.

I probably should look into online CD stores though, because at least then I have a chance they'll be authentic. Yumi, what are the big CD chains in Japan?

(modnote: if you don't want your name exposed on the forum just edit my post :))
I don't mind you using my name :)

Ok, I'll look into it (if you're not willing to test your Japanese skills by buying over E-Bay ;)). Obviously not all the main chains sell this sort of product, but some do.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm very happy to test my Japanese on websites. I'm just not willing to place money on it. ;)

I appreciate your help, thanks a plenty. :D [bows profusely]

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Oh oh which chains sell them? I wanna have a go at reading through the sites (but I still want you to help me :p).

:D Thanks!

Last edited:

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Oh oh which chains sell them? I wanna have a go at reading through the sites (but I still want you to help me :p).

:D Thanks!
Hey hold on ok! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)