where to download maple for free? (1 Viewer)

shinningstar

HSC
title basically says it.

im doing MATH1141 this sem, and i just checked my moodle and saw that there was a maple component. It said it was available to use on the computers throughout uni, however if I had wanted my own copy for my own laptop that I would need to buy it.

Also, can anyone tell me what text books i would need for COMP1917? as i searched on the unsw bookshops website, however it just returned a blank page.

please feel free to move this post, if it is in the wrong category

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
title basically says it.

im doing MATH1141 this sem, and i just checked my moodle and saw that there was a maple component. It said it was available to use on the computers throughout uni, however if I had wanted my own copy for my own laptop that I would need to buy it.

Also, can anyone tell me what text books i would need for COMP1917? as i searched on the unsw bookshops website, however it just returned a blank page.

please feel free to move this post, if it is in the wrong category
Programming, problem solving and abstraction With C Alistair Moffat (based on what was used last year I assume we are using this)

Note the 2013 was just released so I assume UNSW are reordering copies

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
You have to buy Maple that's the only way to obtain it via legal means.

RazorICE

UNSW Engineering
HSC
Uni Grad
lol i dont need to get legally...
If you're planning on doing COMP1917, it may serve you well to learn how to use The Magical Google.

As for the COMP1917 textbook, you probably won't find it necessary as the course notes tend to be extensive, and again, The Google is a great resource for programming-related questions. But if you really want a textbook or if you think you might struggle in the course, the textbook SpiralFlex mentioned is probably the one that will be used this year.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
lol i dont need to get legally...
Then clearly it cannot be discussed here, as I don't think BoS' servers are located in Sweden etc.

Surely someone who is doing COMP1917 should know how to use Google. You've used enough keywords in this thread to know what to search for.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Its copyrighted material therefore its illegal to pirate.
I believe this thread has served its purpose.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
None of you thought of the Remote Maple Server?

On Blackboard, you can log in and gain access to a School of Maths computer and use Maple through that. Simple. Legal. Free.

D94

HSC
N/A
None of you thought of the Remote Maple Server?

On Blackboard, you can log in and gain access to a School of Maths computer and use Maple through that. Simple. Legal. Free.
The desktop sharing version is tragically slow, slower than dial up internet. The command line interface version is decent, but copying and pasting might be a slight problem.

The latter is good for practicing codes, but not for when you are actually doing the test.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
That's true.

Best bet for the Maple tests is to do it at uni anyway because you should be doing it with friends and asking them for help if you stumble :p

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
may i ask the most stupid question here ?
what is maple ? =[]=*

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's a computer program that does maths.

Think WolframAlpha but better.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It gets passed around a lot via usb, so when you make some friends at uni you'll most likely get it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)