Where/how u learn to write chinese? (1 Viewer)

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
I really need to learn how to read/ write chinese. I can speak fluent canto, but i can't even read a kindergarten book!

Are there people in my situation?

I go chinese resturant and its kinda embrassing and shameful reading the english, and the waiters can't even speak english.

If anyone would tutor me, i'd be happy!

SomaFairy

HSC
N/A
williamycai said:
I go chinese resturant and its kinda embrassing and shameful reading the english, and the waiters can't even speak english.

haha and it's worse when they only have chinese menus ><

Anyone teach Mandarin in the Upper North Shore?

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
Kujah said:
Chinese school.
LOL its not a pretty sight for me...I'm like 18 and i'm goin in kindy with all these REAL kindy kids...so that kinda rules out the public ones.

Hey u know the HSC chinese beginners books? Where u buy them excel ones maybe? Or what do the HSC people use?

BlackDragon

HSC
williamycai said:
I really need to learn how to read/ write chinese. I can speak fluent canto, but i can't even read a kindergarten book!

Are there people in my situation?

just order lots of fortune cookies and you'll be right :)

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
Cos i got alot of non asian frens and all my asian frens are like me as well...most of them can't decide where to go and so i always decide to go whatever resturant..Then for some reason they all look at me to order the stuff..

once in auburn dragon place thing, i point at the pork ribs and they gave us some mongolian beef..<but it was good>

And once we went keroke..everything was in chinese..menus etc..and we were just randomly selecting tunes and freestyling the songs.. But that was fun too you should try it.. you come up with the funniest shit.

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
Someone just tell me WHERE to buy the books that is PURE read/write. I can pass the aural/oral easy, so waste of time going chinese school.

I'll forget this soon so those who are interested in tutoring me for this..addme williamycai@hotmail.com

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
watch more chinese movies/tv series, listen to more chinese songs and your chinese reading should improve

Winston

HSC
I was in your situation as well, i did one semester of beginners chinese, it did me good, i walked out knowing 500 characters, now i learnt more at home so i know about 800 characters, and i can read most things.

Just remember, once you get the fundamentals, words piece together and give meaning and eventually when you read sentences you can fill in the missing pieces based on your own knowledge of canto phrases etc.

Try getting a book called Integrated Chinese. I used that at uni.

Make sure you're aware of what set of chars you're choosing to learn as well, i learnt Tradtional in uni, it looks way cooler and better, but as the way things go, simplified is obviously what everyones moving towards, even though it looks so ugly, and removes meaning from most of the characters as well.

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
where you do the semester? At tafe or school? Or chinese school?

Winston

HSC
williamycai said:
where you do the semester? At tafe or school? Or chinese school?
At uni, it was one of my electives, it was pretty fun.

aus_peter2005

HSC
go to kinokuniya at town hall....there are thousands of chinese books...i think most of them are traditional chinese..maybe you can find books which teaches chinese(??i am not totally sure cos i go there for comics and novels)

as for how you learn to write...just practice writing them out for a few times see if you can remember how to write them..probably keep a diary and write in chinese.....but you need to practise a lot to avoid forgetting them...cos i am starting to forget how to write some words after being in aus for 5 years....

and i think it doesn't really matter if you learn traditional or simplified chinese...cos you can figure the other one out even if you learn just one of them...like what i learn is traditional...but i can sort of read most of the simplified ones..

Last edited:

PrettyVacant

HSC
:) I'm terrible at Chinese, even though I did it in years 9 and 10 and also went to Chinese school for 8 years before that, I just suck at it (no motivation probably).

I can speak it alright, but I'm hopeless at reading and writing. :(

Oh well...my parents are pretty disappointed in me.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
zangetsu.xo said:
by the way i went to chinese school for aaaaaaaaaaaages.
and nothing really sunk in.
Lol, same. Went there for 5 years, and I only learnt how to say what my name is :p The only i enjoyed was swearing at the teacher :rofl:

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
yeah i heard chinese schools dun have much use, esp the one in parra temple.. my fren went there and it was more social getout then study, once u make friends you'll be more tempted to jig more than to study anything.

but i shall check out this bookshop tomorrow and i'm looking at the website..thanks heaps again..

my parents can read/write perfectly, but the thing is how to teach it... thats hard.

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
DAMN i can't understand a word of people singing in mando...zzzzzzzzzzz.....
though i've listen to chou's Nocturne for a while now

http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/

oh and xo..u should watch a moment to remember if u are into kmovies

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)