Where do you people get these numbers? (1 Viewer)

Old Spice Man

HSC
I've been trawling the forms trying to suss out if i should bother working for this HSC If i want a 90+ ATAR, and i've noticed that the supposed band 5 and 6 cuttoffs for certain subjects are far lower than what i've been told all year. I was sure that to get a band six in physics i'd need raw marks in the exam of 89-90+, much the same for biology. But these forums seem to think that the Band six cutoff is far lower, in the low 80s for physics.

Where are you people getting these numbers from?
Are there any websites that would inform me about the raw mark cuttoffs for various bands for my subjects?
Is physics really only low 80s for a band six?

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Ppl work them out by getting their raw marks from the B.O.S. If you know you got 90% as your exam mark, and you learn that you were given xx% as a raw exam mark, then you know that the Band 6 raw cutoff was xx%.

acemusic415

HSC
People apply to the Board of Studies under Freedom of Information laws to obtain their raw marks. That said, it's not free and they have to pay a certain fee and its up to their discretion so they can decline your request.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
There are endless threads in the Technical Arcana about raw marks, and raw marks which have been obtained from BOS.

This thread has a few marks which can be easily compared.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
You can find out on their website that BOS align marks but the exact cutoffs or the extent of aligning aren't very widely known - even by teachers.

What happens is through something to do with Freedom of Information people on these forums (maybe some others too) apply for there raw marks. BOS send them the raw marks and they will typically post them up here, theres enough data available each year to be able to estimate the cutoff for band 6 and sometimes band 5 for popular subjects. Physics band 6 cutoff is typically high 70s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)