Where are all the real men? :cold: (1 Viewer)

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
why does every discussion either end up referring to god or Hitler?

Elephants

Banned
HSC
HNAKXR said:
why does every discussion either end up referring to god or Hitler?
AHAHAHAhAHAHAHAHA! I totally agree! On this website, God always plays some part, even in a discussion about something so trivial as plates or something.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Masculininty has been too strongly associated with violence, thuggishness, emotional isolation. The unbalanced masculinity of our forefathers, when taken to it's logical extreme is a dangerous and self-destructive force, well may the world be rid of it.

Forget masculine and feminine. We need humanist and family orientated values, loving and protecting our community, hard work etc...

I think we should encourage these so called 'masculine' values, "adventure, ambition, resilience, ruggedness and leadership" in all individuals, regardless of gender.

There are more important values to define yourself by than gender roles. All individuals, male and female, should ideally aspire to be loving, hard working, protecting, community orientated.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
This thread has seriously strong overtones of homoeroticism though...

HSC
Iron said:
Youre asking me to prove that God exists, you swine. It's very clever, very cute, very droll, OH you got me.
The Church has the unique power of keeping remote control over human souls which have once been part of her, and we all have been in some way. Chesterton compared this to the fisherman's line, which allows the fish the illusion of free play in the water and yet has him by the hook; in his own time the fisherman by a 'twitch upon the thread' draws the fish to land.
Your time will come.
Oh I'm sorry. i thought you were arguing that conservative values were good from a utilitarian perspective. But apparently you are a blindly-prostrating-yourself-in-front-of-God conservative.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Silver Persian said:
Oh I'm sorry. i thought you were arguing that conservative values were good from a utilitarian perspective. But apparently you are a blindly-prostrating-yourself-in-front-of-God conservative.
I dont see the alternative. If youre trying to conserve the institutions fundamental to the good life, you need solid grounding in truth; God is essential. Otherwise it's just castles in clouds my irritating friend

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Iron said:
I dont see the alternative. If youre trying to conserve the institutions fundamental to the good life, you need solid grounding in truth; God is essential. Otherwise it's just castles in clouds my irritating friend
Iron fails to understand relativism imho.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Enteebee said:
Iron fails to understand relativism imho.
AH the battlecry of postmodernism!
You're wrong! But i'm not right!

Am I over here?
Perhaps here!

-----> Up here my friends!
/flute/

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
brogan77 said:
Iron posts random non-sensical garbage when he doesn't understand something and has no counter-argument.
Can it with a mudcake John Candy

Elephants

Banned
HSC
Iron, to be honest I agree with Brogan. Half the shit you post makes absolutely no sense.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Elephants said:
Iron, to be honest I agree with Brogan. Half the shit you post makes absolutely no sense.
Such as?

Elephants

Banned
HSC
Iron said:

Am I over here?
Perhaps here!

/flute/
It's not that it doesn't make sense, it just doesn't make sense in the context you put it in.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It was my characterization of the PLAGUE of relativism's paradox, which goes something like 'There is no truth: this is the truth'. It has crippled aeverything in my opinion -all forms of human fulfillment and happiness- not least gender roles.
And it cant be countered because it cant be defined! It is terrifying and beautiful. Simple to understand, and also credible and convincing - but a black hole

Last edited:
HSC
Iron said:

Am I over here?
Perhaps here!

/flute/
Yes I know, postmodernism can be somewhat annoying.

But to recognise that my knowledge is potentially fallible is not immediately to say that my knowledge is wrong. It merely means that I have to seriously think through what I'm thinking and saying, consider what other people are saying, and take up the possibility that I am completely wrong. You can defend arguments and believe them wholeheartedly to be true, so long as you are painstakingly reflexive and self-critical about it and willing to be proven wrong.

Edit: And I thought that post was quite succinct and beautiful in its own way :eek: /flute/

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Iron said:
It was my characterization of the PLAGUE of relativism's paradox, which goes something like 'There is no truth: this is the truth'. It has crippled aeverything in my opinion -all forms of human fulfillment and happiness- not least gender roles.
And it cant be countered because it cant be defined! It is terrifying and beautiful. Simple to understand, and also credible and convincing - but a black hole
lol it doesn't say that there is no truth. At least my spin of it would be that there may very well be an objective reality, just that we have no way of knowing it for certain, we have to always accept that our truth is provisional, incredibly worthy of being worked with, but ultimately we must accept possibly wrong.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Iron's a pretty cool guy. He makes creative posts at times, but has become such as caricature, it's impossible to conceive of him as a real person, or really engage with any of his ideas or personality. Which, perhaps was the point.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Silver Persian said:
Yes I know, postmodernism can be somewhat annoying.

But to recognise that my knowledge is potentially fallible is not immediately to say that my knowledge is wrong. It merely means that I have to seriously think through what I'm thinking and saying, consider what other people are saying, and take up the possibility that I am completely wrong. You can defend arguments and believe them wholeheartedly to be true, so long as you are painstakingly reflexive and self-critical about it and willing to be proven wrong.

Edit: And I thought that post was quite succinct and beautiful in its own way :eek: /flute/
But your notions of a relative right and wrong, based on how persuasively you can argue, are meaningless without conceeding to an ultimate Truth - to God Himself!
A debating victory for the postmodernist is just a recognition that one fellow could fool an audience better than the other. It's aweful

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
But your notions of a relative right and wrong, based on how persuasively you can argue, are meaningless without conceeding to an ultimate Truth - to God Himself!
A debating victory for the postmodernist is just a recognition that one fellow could fool an audience better than the other. It's aweful
Nah, see because what you've got to realise is that a human being cannot escape human context so as far as any human's concerned I'm fairly sure they're stuck valuing certain things... For instance, I could very well know that the only reason I enjoy sex is because I've been biologically programmed to do so, the pleasure is just chemicals releasing themselves into my brain, but none of that really matters from my context - to me it's fucking sweet and that's all that really matters.

HSC
Iron said:
I agree with your criticism of very strong postmodernist approaches. But I don't see how the outcome of your critique is that you should become religious. Don't you have any faith in any human-centred form of rationality at all?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)