What's the most difficult book you've ever read (or tried to)? (Lacan, Joyce, etc) (1 Viewer)

selablad

HSC
Persuasion, by Jane Austen, due to sheer boring-ness.

But on the other hand, I've never read any of those other books that have been suggested, so my opinion isn't worth much. But I got A Clockwork Orange out of the library today, and am looking forward to reading it very much!

rokkuguhyo

HSC
bassistx said:
Anything by Shakespeare without those things on the side that translate the words into Modern English lol.
I second that.

wendybird

HSC
A Thousand Years of Solitude by Gabriel Marquez.

:uhoh:

That said, i did enjoy Marquez' other books.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Hardest + boringest book I have ever read. I had to wiki almost every bit of it.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Re: What's the most difficult book you've ever read (or tried to)? (Lacan, Joyce, etc

I think Shakespeare becomes easier as you go through highschool. I enjoyed Taming of the Shrew.

Faulkner got slightly easier, but I'm truly glad to have finished the book. I've started The Great Gatsby for the same class and it's much much easier and faster than Absalom or Huck Finn.

jude.harlowe

HSC
Hands down, Les Miserables by Victor Hugo...depressing as anything, difficult prose and its about a thousand pages. It is quite interesting mind, so I'm persevering.

4unitfreak

HSC
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. It was a really good book, but the way they say stuff.... weird.

SuperStar-3000

HSC
Re: What's the most difficult book you've ever read (or tried to)? (Lacan, Joyce, etc

Ulysses was easy, but im still going with harry potter and the chamber of secrets... too metaphorical and shit

SiN3m

HSC
to kill a mockingbird and anything Austen...srsly they babble and i cnt read more than 5 pages in a row...wierd for me who can finish other books in a night or two

Sharkeh

HSC
Not a big fan of anything Jane Austen at the best of times, but Emma was just shocking.

Sorry to any JA fans who now hate me, but I just couldn't read it. I managed to struggle through P&P for year 11, but God help me this year with Emma

SiN3m

HSC
Sharkeh said:
Not a big fan of anything Jane Austen at the best of times, but Emma was just shocking.

Sorry to any JA fans who now hate me, but I just couldn't read it. I managed to struggle through P&P for year 11, but God help me this year with Emma
man i couldn't even get through P&P! chapter 8 i think and then no more...

X

xeuyrawp

KFunk said:
Hands down -----> Immanuel Kant's Critique of Pure Reason

Bright guy, but a terrible writer. I only made it about 20 pages after reading the introduction before I gave up. The ideas are complex enough without having to deal with paragraph length sentences the whole time. His sentences have the nested story structure of 1001 Arabian Nights. For example:

"The same is the case with the internal intuition, not only because, in the internal intuition, the representation of the external senses constitutes the material with which the mind is occupied; but because time, in which we place, and which itself antecedes the consciousness of, these representations in experience, and which, as the formal condition of the mode according to which objects are placed in the mind, lies at the foundation of them, contains relations of the successive, the co-existant, and of that which always must be co-existent with succession, the permanent."

Fuck Kant (Edit: or, in all fairness to Kant, fuck the translator).
Kant's easy in comparison to Hegel. He makes far less sense in both English and German than Kant.

dodgyv

CEO
HSC

HARRY POTTER
lol not that i cant read it. its cause its probably one of the only few books iv read
do text book count physics books are hard blah blah blah if you dont understand it omfggg so hard 2 get your head around it think hard enough which is the case alot of times i get a huge headace....its not the words its the theory behind it omggggg so hard which is why its the best subject out

HSC

jane eyre

i read it, it was quite good, but i cant say the language was easy

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC

one flew over the cuckoos nest worked better than sleeping pills. arrghh

eliseliselise

HSC

dodgyv said:
HARRY POTTER
...do text book count physics books are hard blah blah blah if you dont understand it omfggg so hard 2 get your head around it think hard enough which is the case alot of times i get a huge headace....its not the words its the theory behind it omggggg so hard which is why its the best subject out
HAHA yes, i agree. i think the 2 more difficult books ive had to read would include "the shipping news" - annie proulx [i dont know what the pulitzer prize judges were thinking / on at the time] & "Physics 1 : Preliminary Course 2nd Edition" by Michael Adriessen and many others.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
The most difficult book to read is Bible.

The hardest series is Cambridge Series containing all the 2 Unit, 3 Unit and 4 Unit Mathematics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)