• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Whats the difference between... (1 Viewer)

micuzzo

HSC
I've been looking over courses for engineering and i always seem to hear that UNSW is the best for this.... however i was wondering wat the is the difference between UTS and UNSW for engineering...

Personally, i am starting to think that UTS offeres a better course... i would like to do either mechatronics or mechanical eng. at UTS i can do these as one course where as at UNSW they are two separate courses. Also UTS seems to have better internships (12months not 3-6months like UNSW) and u get some kinda Diploma in Engineering Practice as UTS (which i have no idea wat it is)

Would someone please tell me if theres much difference between UTS n UNSW for the above course.. like every1 i wuld love to go to the best uni, but if UTS is not that much different i dont see a reason y i sshouldnt go there, so plz give me some info...

much appreciated!

micuzzo

HSC
Do a search. This has been covered many times.
done that.... cant find what im looking for... care to provide a link...

i would appreciate if someone who goes to one of these unis gives some insight...

micuzzo

HSC
UNSW is better. Internships shouldnt matter too much as you will probably have mutliple ones under your belt by the time you graduate.
how so...?
sorry but i would like some kind of explaination... i no nothing about uni...

LordPc

HSC
firstly, i thought uts was a business-centric university (like macq)
secondly, i didnt even know that uts had an engineering faculty

so either I'm ignorant or it just shows you the reputation of the uts engineering

dolbinau

HSC
Actually I'm pretty sure UTS does indeed have a reputable engineering degree. I'm surprised you haven't heard much about it.

LordPc

HSC
Actually I'm pretty sure UTS does indeed have a reputable engineering degree. I'm surprised you haven't heard much about it.
right now here is what i think in terms of "Why would I go to this uni?"

uws = med, forensics
macq = business, history
usyd = law, arts
uts = business, not tech
unsw = i cant make a fair judgement, although i wouldnt come here to study history

micuzzo

HSC
firstly, i thought uts was a business-centric university (like macq)
secondly, i didnt even know that uts had an engineering faculty

so either I'm ignorant or it just shows you the reputation of the uts engineering
ahah thats strange considering its a university of Technology...lol

well i am what the gamers would call a noob... in my current opinion for engineering its unsw>uts.... however i just want to kno y everyone says unsw is better bcoz if there really is not much difference i feel that uts will b a better choice for me....

LordPc

HSC
ahah thats strange considering its a university of Technology...lol
how much grass is in greenland? how much ice is in iceland?

how "techy" is uts?

the name means absolutely nothing

(especially when you consider that UNSW used to be called the New South Wales University of Technology ;))

What's wrong with it's history department?
there isnt one

micuzzo

HSC
how much grass is in greenland? how much ice is in iceland?

how "techy" is uts?

the name means absolutely nothing

(especially when you consider that UNSW used to be called the New South Wales University of Technology ;))
I disagree... the name does mean a fair amount... and if UNSW was called New South Wales University of Technology as u said, it deserved this name because it is a very technologically based uni... but back to the original post.... can someone just try to answer the question...

Nikkay75

Flashbackk
HSC
I agree that the name means nothing. I have no interest in engineering at all! But I have heard on numerous occasions the quality of the UNSW engineering department. Correct me if I am wrong.. isn't it the top engineering faculty in Australia?

00iCon

HSC
UNSW > UTS. USyd is incomparable in awesomeness and intelligence.
It'd be like: USyd >>>>>>>>>>>>>> UNSW > UTS.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I agree that the name means nothing. I have no interest in engineering at all! But I have heard on numerous occasions the quality of the UNSW engineering department. Correct me if I am wrong.. isn't it the top engineering faculty in Australia?
Yeha. Take a look at the world rankings for just engineering and UNSW was 16th or something last time i checked but it has seemed to move down. Now Melbourne is the best but meh, rankings are just the opinions of academics.

THE - QS World University Rankings 2009 - Engineering/Technology | Top Universities

Here are some opinions on the longer internship at UTS: click here

Last edited:

hotdimsim

HSC
how can you write an essay on fluid mechanics? what would be the topic?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)