What's the appeal of Law? (1 Viewer)

fozzster22

HSC
money and perceived prestige, same reason anyone chooses a degree

let's not kid ourselves here

peter2

Banned
HSC
haha you shit on uws for downgrading a law degree, thats a bit rich for someone who studies law a macquarie.
Umm... The Law may not be too great but it definately is a lot better than law at UWS. Also, as everyone is aware, commerce at Mac is one of the best in NSW. So Mr. small Dk, STFU.

Demandred

HSC
Depends on what you are combining it with, Macq has a strong accounting/commerce background. Their law degree is... not very practical, its highly inter-contextual.

As for which Universities, the firms won't give a shit which uni you went to if you are an asshole, in this case, I am pretty sure a TAFE person with anything remotely resembling a law background would do better than you. The University's reputation and history counts, prima facie only, there are a lot more factors that comes into play.

Though the monetary of aspect of studying law is very appealing, you will have to work for it. Anecdotal evidence suggests that 60+ hr weeks are the norm for the first few years and many many grads burn out because of it. You are expected to have about 7-8 billable hours a day, that equates to about 10-12 hrs of work - depends on how good you are and the nature of work - if you don't get those numbers... watch out.

There's also no reason why you can't focus on commercial law and pro bono community work at the same time. I am spending my summer at a top tier firm and they really do want you to help out the less fortunate to improve the firm's image (which I guess is a bit suspect lol).

Last edited:

BigDk

HSC
Umm... The Law may not be too great but it definately is a lot better than law at UWS. Also, as everyone is aware, commerce at Mac is one of the best in NSW. So Mr. small Dk, STFU.

so you admit mq law is shit. the start of the "anyone can get into law" started with MQ providing a sustandard law program. who care what u combine it with, the law is shit there.

and if you think comm is so great why are u wasting xtra 2 years for nothing.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
money and perceived prestige, same reason anyone chooses a degree

let's not kid ourselves here
Somehow I don't think I picked creative arts because I thought I would be well-respected for it, or because I could fall into a high-paying job afterwards. That's a pretty petty way of regarding people. The earning capacity a degree will give you will inevitably be a part of a person's choice, to whatever extent, but it's hardly the only consideration... for a lot of people. As I said earlier, keeping money as your only consideration really does make you seem like a complete wanker. You might not realise this until you meet people who really think this way.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Lawyers get paid to fuck people over for a living and I wanted in on it. If anything, I am the antithesis to the 'helping people' crowd, and I have no problem with that.

A knowledge of the legal rights and remedies available to you is a very powerful thing to have in modern society and can be worked to your advantage. Again, it's another thing that I wanted for myself, and I'm sure that it will come in very handy one day if indeed it hasn't done so already.

Putting aside my own ideas, I think that the versatility of a law degree is another reason that people do it. Only 40% or so of graduates actually go on to practise law. The rest of them are ideally suited for political, government and corporate-style jobs and have an edge over the arts and commerce graduates who would also be applying for those positions, due to the perception of law honing higher level critical thinking skills and being rather competitive in nature.

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
A knowledge of the legal rights and remedies available to you is a very powerful thing to have in modern society and can be worked to your advantage. Again, it's another thing that I wanted for myself, and I'm sure that it will come in very handy one day if indeed it hasn't done so already.
That's one of the reasons I'm studying law, despite not wanting to practice it. Being someone who has always been mathsy/sciencey, I want develop my logic and reasoning skills and whatever.
I find these responses pretty lol. I can learn all my relevant legal rights in half an hour by searching the internet. Information about relevant laws to your personal life is pretty easy to find. A law degree is a bit ott.

Reasoning lol. You don't need to go uni to learn that.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
I can learn all my relevant legal rights in half an hour by searching the internet. Information about relevant laws to your personal life is pretty easy to find.
Yes that's the easy part. Until something happens and you find that reality isn't as easy as you thought, and you end up running to a lawyer to get you out of the mess....

Last edited:

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Where do you work at hfis?
At a law firm.

Yes that's the easy part. Until something happens and you find that reality isn't as easy as you thought, and you end up running to a lawyer to get you out of the mess....
Haha tell me about it. If I had a dollar for every exchange of "so I read that if I do (x) that the law says (y)" // "I'm sorry, but that's really not the case"...

Just because I know a bit about cars and can easily look up how to do everything from the most basic to the most advanced repairs with the aid of Google doesn't mean I don't use a mechanic :)

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Yeah but get real, what legal knowledge that you'll use in everyday life requires you to do a law degree?

I know what laws I must follow. I know what to do in the event of a police search, where, when and why I may legally be searched and what to do in the event of a search of dubious legality.

For anything I don't know, there's nothing wrong with asking a lawyer. It's a hell of a lot quicker and cheaper than a law degree.

90% of the stuff you have to learn and remember will be completely irrelevant to your practical, everyday life

For most modern cars, it would be virtually impossible for an individual to afford and house all the tools needed to do all diagnostic and repair jobs. The metaphor doesn't work. Plenty of people do all their own maintenance, especially on older, simpler cars.

Last edited:

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
You're responding to this as though I stated it as the sole reason for doing a law degree. Settle down.

If I ever get sued, I save a shitload of legal costs. That's all I'm getting at. Did you want further clarification?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
You're responding to this as though I stated it as the sole reason for doing a law degree. Settle down.

If I ever get sued, I save a shitload of legal costs. That's all I'm getting at. Did you want further clarification?
Nah, I'm just a bored cunt, pushing buttons :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Shouldn't they have taught you in your first year introductory course that the one thing you never, ever do is represent yourself?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)