what's software design and development? (1 Viewer)

suneeta =)

ninja-esque.
HSC
im changing schools next year and i wanted to do ITM (Industrial Technology Multimedia) but they don't offer it at the school im moving to. They offer Software Design and development. what is it? is it kinda the same as ITM?

thanks. :]

HSC
Overview:

Software design and development is a demanding course designed for self directed students wishing to continue into tertiary education courses such as software engineering and computer science.

The preliminary course introduces students to the basic concepts and issues in the desigh and development of software. It does this by looking at the different approaches that can be taken to develop software and the tools that can be usd in this procedss. The interaction between software and other components of the computer systen will be explored.

The HSC course builds on the prelimairy course and asks students to develop and document software using a variety of data structures and language facilities and through these will leanr to solv a number of interesting and relevant software problems.

Main Topics Convered:

Preliminary course:
  • Social and ethical issues
  • Hardware and software
  • Software development approaches
  • Planning, building, checking and modifying software development
  • developing software solutions
HSC Course:

• Social and ethical issues
  • Application of software development approaches
  • Understanding software development cycle
  • Planning and designing
  • Implemenation
  • Testing and evaluation
  • Maintenance
  • Project work
Option:
  • Evolution of programming langauge or
  • The software developers view of the hardware
HSC Course Assessment (External Assessment)
A three hour written examination

HSC Course Assessment (Internal Assessment)
  • Knowledge and understanding about development and impact of software solutions, the software development cycle
  • Design and development of software solutions
  • Project management techniques including documentation, team-work and communication project
Hope that helps!

Aznmichael92

HSC
suneeta =) said:
im changing schools next year and i wanted to do ITM (Industrial Technology Multimedia) but they don't offer it at the school im moving to. They offer Software Design and development. what is it? is it kinda the same as ITM?

thanks. :]
by any chance is that fort street?

proringz

HSC
Unless you like programming and intend on pursuing it further in university, SDD is a waste of time. I did it in Year 11 and dropped it at the start of this year.

suzlee

HSC
I want to do software design too. It sounds like a lot of fun to me but many people have disagreed so far :(:(:(

TBK11

HSC
SDD haha no chance id do that in my school our IST teacher is hopeless throughout the year all we have done is textbook work on the comp, i dont bother doin it comin to the end of the year we should have about half the textbook completed now i jus borrow it on USB from my friend n done full marks.

off topic :p

cHoke-meh

HSC
I'm doing Software next year (hopefully, if my subject lines are alright) even though my IST teacher from my old school sucked balls. I just like making my own things on a computer and causing things to happen in weird and unexpected ways :)

speedofsound

HSC
I always love walking past the SDD classes of 4-6 students, whom all face-plant on the desk, quickly followed by drool dripping out of the corner of their mouths.

TBK11 said:
SDD haha no chance id do that in my school our IST teacher is hopeless throughout the year all we have done is textbook work on the comp, i
lol sounds like my IST teacher too.

ratcher0071

HSC
I did the entire SDD course for Yr 11, and I must give you the outline:

- Hardly any time on computers
- You have to be a dedicated bookworm
- :sleep:
- It is not as simple as you may think (lot of concepts, but interrelated)
- If you do SDD, make your own notes based on the syllabus
- Not sure about scaling when compared to ITM
- Has things like coding, flowcharts, history, ergonomics (seriously :sleep: )
- did I mention :sleep:

Go for it :D

suzlee

HSC
ratcher0071 said:
I did the entire SDD course for Yr 11, and I must give you the outline:

- Hardly any time on computers
- You have to be a dedicated bookworm
- :sleep:
- It is not as simple as you may think (lot of concepts, but interrelated)
- If you do SDD, make your own notes based on the syllabus
- Not sure about scaling when compared to ITM
- Has things like coding, flowcharts, history, ergonomics (seriously :sleep: )
- did I mention :sleep:

Go for it :D

:cold: :cold: :cold:
... It depends on the individual, I guess!

Sew2289

HSC
Bad, bad course imo. Even if you are a die-hard computer fan at heart, the course focuses more on logical thinking than simply facts and figures. I guess its good for some but it seems to be a common trend in this subject (going off forum comments and experiences) to see that teachers have no clue about how to teach this course properly (or some simply have no clue, like mine did!).

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
speedofsound said:
I always love walking past the SDD classes of 4-6 students, whom all face-plant on the desk, quickly followed by drool dripping out of the corner of their mouths.

lol sounds like my IST teacher too.

G Block at my school (where the main computer lab is) is always full of Engineering, ITT and SDD geeks. Soo funny watching them do their work.

HSC
supercalamari said:
G Block at my school (where the main computer lab is) is always full of Engineering, ITT and SDD geeks. Soo funny watching them do their work.
whats ITT ?

TBK11

HSC
supercalamari said:
Lol..

No computers teacher is in my oppion is good, all the ones ive had are either Lazy, retarts (by that i mean there is a simple issue n it takes em like 50mins to figure out) or jus cbf caring about teaching.

ill give a classic example off topic again but still,
one time in IST about 2months ago i pulled out the Printer cable and our assignment was due that day sir said "Right everyone off to the computers print off your assignment" and NO ONE could print then sir was checkin all computers took the dam dum one 45mins to figure out the cable was pulled.
45 mins later "Oh looks like the cable was out well the assignment is due first thing in the morning.
since were running out of time log off everyone ill see you tomorrow

like LOL that made my week

Last edited:

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
oops, by ITT i mean IST. Sorry :)

haha, lucky, our computer teachers are ok usually.

suzlee

HSC
My IST teacher is AWESOME. She's the head of IT at my school and buys us freddo frogs (the big $1 ones) almost every lesson cos there's a person in the class with a box full of them who sells them for fundraising. We bludge but still get everything done... there's no other class like it :D
I'll be very sad to say goodbye to Year 9 and 10 IST :(

HSC
suzlee said:
My IST teacher is AWESOME. She's the head of IT at my school and buys us freddo frogs (the big $1 ones) almost every lesson cos there's a person in the class with a box full of them who sells them for fundraising. We bludge but still get everything done... there's no other class like it :D
I'll be very sad to say goodbye to Year 9 and 10 IST :(
haha yeah IST classes are the best..

dota and cs all period..then we get a big lecture on the day before projects are due because we havent started..so we end up getting extensions :p

suzlee

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
haha yeah IST classes are the best..

dota and cs all period..then we get a big lecture on the day before projects are due because we havent started..so we end up getting extensions :p

Heheh lol that is exactly what happens in my class too!
On the day she was giving out a due date for an assignment, she didn't have her diary on her so she asked us what date a wednesday 2 weeks later would be....... Not very wise decision making...... we told her the date for a wednesday 3 weeks later. And so our assignments were given another week :D:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)