what's so bad about Bachelor of International and global studies? (1 Viewer)

philphie

Banned
HSC
i hear people saying that really it is just an overrated arts degree with a new name to draw in more students.

could i really do everything from a BIGS degree in an BA?

are the core units necessarily any different to what is offered across the faculty of arts?

what's so bad about the core units as well?

bio_nut

HSC
It's just unnecessarily restrictive, adding fancy names to things you could study anyway doing vanilla Arts. I know quite a few people changing out of it.

Alex499

HSC
I was so desperate to get into BIGS this time a year ago. Thank god I didn't. My friends who are doing it hate it. They hate the compulsory units and half of them are changing out of it for straight arts anyway.

yups

HSC
what
are you serious
is it bad ?

after not knowing what i want to do my whole life, i found this course not even 10 minutes ago and i thought to myself "wow i finally found it . this course was made for me".

why is it bad ?

Alex499

HSC
They just say the compulsory subjects are really dry. Like kill yourself boring. And that they're too restricted. I've always loved history, but didn't want to actually study it because what do you do with a history major - teaching. And "I was too smart to do teaching". in my BA I did history, french, govt and ecop. The only one I actually enjoyed was history. It took me a year of study to realise it but I'm glad I had the chance to.

Maybe if i'd of gotten into it I would be saying it was the best thing in the world. I guess everything happens for a reason.

yups

HSC
damn . the course sounded so appealing.

edit: i just read on another thread that they're altering the 2010 course

Last edited:

jassono

HSC
Oh god why am i reading all these negative things about BIGS when im just finalising preferences

X2RADialbomber

mandapanda
HSC
Oh god why am i reading all these negative things about BIGS when im just finalising preferences
Haha, same thing happened to me in regard to B.P.E.S.S

Take people's advice, but also think - Is this course, its compulsory units and subjects really appealing to me? In the end, you are the one who is going to complete the degree and you are the one who is going to have to study those particular subjects.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'd just do straight Arts. It's essentially the same thing (if you look at the majors for BA and BPESS, you'll find that everything offered in BPESS is the same as in BA), without the restrictions. :)

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Oh no. I got offud BIGS and BA/BJ at UQ, and i have deferred both but what i actually want is journalism at UTS.

.... is potentially possible to take up BIGS next year and then transfer into BA media and communications at USYD??

aneurysm

HSC
They just say the compulsory subjects are really dry. Like kill yourself boring. And that they're too restricted. I've always loved history, but didn't want to actually study it because what do you do with a history major - teaching. And "I was too smart to do teaching". in my BA I did history, french, govt and ecop. The only one I actually enjoyed was history. It took me a year of study to realise it but I'm glad I had the chance to.

Maybe if i'd of gotten into it I would be saying it was the best thing in the world. I guess everything happens for a reason.
I hope that "I was too smart to do teaching" quote was something someone else said to you and not your opinion. To be fair, with the quote marks, it looks someone else did say that to you.

Whoever DID say that has to be pretty narrow-minded. Some of my teachers were the smartest people I know, and anyway, how can you be "too smart" to be a teacher? These are people who are teaching children and teenagers valuable skills that they will use for the rest of their life. I don't see how that is a profession restricted to only people of mediocre intelligence.

Don't take any offence if it was you that said this - I just really disagree with such a statement.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)