what TYPE of school do u go to? (1 Viewer)

what TYPE of school do you go to??

• Total voters

ASNSWR127

HSC
Re: Public School vs. Private

doesn't matter - its all relative of your needs/wants.

whatever suits you and whatever you are aiming for.

I would personally send my kids to a public school but that is just me, many and varied resons for that.

There is no reason that public schools should not have h same facilities as private schools - it is scandalous funding that alllows this disparity to exist.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC

alp8c1n0 said:
- sport is compulsory for summer and winter season so less fatties
Isn't sport compulsory for all schools throughout NSW through year 7 to 10? I know it was at my school...

ASNSWR127

HSC

AusBluesMan said:
Isn't sport compulsory for all schools throughout NSW through year 7 to 10? I know it was at my school...
that's correct

probably not 'rugger' and 'rowing' though hey? haha I loved my school in that respect - there was no wankiness :) good old 'rifgow'

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC

We had rowing haha. The local rowing club sponsored the school. Rowing was fun... We spent alot of the time trying to overturn the boats, and board the other peoples. Haha. The teacher didn't mind unless it was Tweed Valley (regional competitive), they just chose the less rowdy people to go in a boat with and sat in the middle of the river shaking their head.

ASNSWR127

HSC

AusBluesMan said:
We had rowing haha. The local rowing club sponsored the school. Rowing was fun... We spent alot of the time trying to overturn the boats, and board the other peoples. Haha. The teacher didn't mind unless it was Tweed Valley (regional competitive), they just chose the less rowdy people to go in a boat with and sat in the middle of the river shaking their head.
lol well that is acceptable - a bit of good old pirate fun never hurt anyone :)

HSC

Interesting sports we had were
Rock climbing
Ice-skating
and recently Computer Games.....dead set, no joke.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC

kevinx2 said:
...Rock climbing...
Ditto.
kevinx2 said:
...Computer Games...
Ditto haha. Don't know why, maybe because some refuse to do physical sport no matter what?

And Computer games is a sport in some countries, take Korea for example. You can make shit loads of money playing games there if you are good.

*As MiSex said - "Compu-pu-pu-pu-pu-pu-pu-pu-pu-pu-pu-pu-Com-puta' Games!"*

mecramarathon

HSC

i heard from a girl in my grade that some private schools e.g. Barker is a popularity contest

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A

i went to a public school but we had good facilities because most of the extra funding came from P&C funds. The contributions were ~$500 per student, but in return we managed to build an indoor sports centre, where i took my hsc, multiple COLA's and most recently we installed a new efficient air conditioning system in the sports centre.

The downside was that you couldn't receive your HSC from the principal unless you paid your contributions for that year, an issue I raised 2 years ago as to whether contributions were actually school fees in disguise for public schools looking for extra funding.

Still, if we could build this sort of infrastructure without paying 20k per kid, then I suppose we did a good job with our finances

micuzzo

HSC

school shoudn't make too much difference... it depends on one's will to learn and do well... though at times to do well you do need extra facilities and discipilary systems found at private schools... all in all i think it is a disgrace that a country as rich and prosperous as ours has such differences in schooling... i think tha everyone should have equal opportunity!!

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A

I thought that when it came 2 getting in2 uni, public school students faired better than private school students. I know ppl who were really smart in private schools and were in rehab the year after.

As long as ur in an evironment you like, it doesn't really matter

beagley007

HSC

Public school kids are better people... generally

Corinne77

HSC

The difference between Private school kids and Public school kids is astronomical.
For starters Private school students care a lot more about their education and have a greater willingness to learn. This is partly due to the fact that their parents are paying a huge amount of money to be there, and if they were failing they would immediately be moved to a Public school.

Private school students learn much more about respect and decorum as well as behaviour. Need I even mention... look at the skirt of a Private school girl, and her whole uniform, then look at the uniform of a Public school girl. Private school students learn to look respectable and appreciate what they have.

The teachers at Private schools are also much better trained and equipped as well as the cream of the crop. A good teacher wouldn't work at a Public school where the pay is lousy, the holidays are nothing, and the benefits non-existant. Any good teacher is going to apply to work at a Private school, so they are obviously receiving the best teachers. Teachers who are dedicated and will spend mornings, afternoons, holidays and weekends with their students to help them achieve the best mark.

And finally the facilities make a huge difference. A private school will have the facilities to cater for every students chosen subjects, not to mention will most likely have a laptop available for every student at any given time.

If anyone can rebut these points with pros for a public school, i would love to hear them. But I know by far which school I would rather attend.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC

i agree completely.

i've been to both, and i would much rather be back at the private school i went to. it was a lot of a better education, the teachers always supported you so much and were just amazing in general.

although i think that private schools bring out the best in most people, and help you get the highest uai possible, public schools equip you better for uni, as you don't have those supportive teachers pushing you to do your best. although it instils a much better work ethic, so there are two sides to that argument.

as to the whole co-ed, single-sex argument, i'm neither here nor there. you find a much warmer atmosphere in a single sex school and you form closer bonds. but i love being around guys because they're so much fun. so yeah. there are two sides to that also.

but private schools are amazing, especially when you're on a scholarship =]].

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A

hermand said:
i agree completely.

i've been to both, and i would much rather be back at the private school i went to. it was a lot of a better education, the teachers always supported you so much and were just amazing in general.

although i think that private schools bring out the best in most people, and help you get the highest uai possible, public schools equip you better for uni, as you don't have those supportive teachers pushing you to do your best. although it instils a much better work ethic, so there are two sides to that argument.

as to the whole co-ed, single-sex argument, i'm neither here nor there. you find a much warmer atmosphere in a single sex school and you form closer bonds. but i love being around guys because they're so much fun. so yeah. there are two sides to that also.

but private schools are amazing, especially when you're on a scholarship =]].
but daniii! what about public selective? more bang for you buck =]

kidding our school is a hole.
i got scholarships to st andrews and trinity. partially wish i had gone. but caringbah's fine =]

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A

it is not suprising that private schools give you what you pay for. Students who go to private schools will receive better teachers, better equipment and better schooling in general. However, because private schools have a duty to deliver, they will force feed their students in order to make them succeed in hsc.

This is against the nature of university, where in order to succeed in uni you must not rely on the lecturer or the tutor to give you information to pass the exam. If you walked in with this mentality you are doomed, hence the phenomenon with some high UAI students flunking uni in their first year.

If you went to a private school, good on you, but if you carried along the mentality that life in uni is the same as life in your old school, you are screwed.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A

darkwolfzx said:
it is not suprising that private schools give you what you pay for. Students who go to private schools will receive better teachers, better equipment and better schooling in general. However, because private schools have a duty to deliver, they will force feed their students in order to make them succeed in hsc.

This is against the nature of university, where in order to succeed in uni you must not rely on the lecturer or the tutor to give you information to pass the exam. If you walked in with this mentality you are doomed, hence the phenomenon with some high UAI students flunking uni in their first year.

If you went to a private school, good on you, but if you carried along the mentality that life in uni is the same as life in your old school, you are screwed.
true. but they can just play the 'daddy will pull some strings' card

HSC

Corinne77 said:
A private school will have the facilities to cater for every students chosen subjects, not to mention will most likely have a laptop available for every student at any given time.

If anyone can rebut these points with pros for a public school, i would love to hear them. But I know by far which school I would rather attend.
I'm not going to look at this from a pro public school perspective but:
There was certainly not a laptop for every student
We didn't have facilities for subjects such as music and drama. Drama was run in a science lab which had the benches taken out. It was appaling.
But, I did enjoy being at a private school, but not neccessarily because it was private.

ASNSWR127

HSC

I love coming form a Public school

it gives me a chip on my shoulder and a badge of honour that I can carry for the rest of my life and when anyone asks me all i have to say is:

"fuck you and your daddy - I made my own way"

verdades

HSC

Public Schools.
I was at a Private Catholic school for 4 years. At the end of year 10, half, maybe more, of the high academic achievers left for other schools, many of them public.
At the public school I'm at now, the academic competition is higher than it was at the Catholic school.
Though, by the same token, this is mostly due to my year specifically, so it would be dependent more on the people in each year.

As for the teachers, I've found an exceptional English teacher, and some good maths teachers at the public school, in one year. At the Private school, I had an excellent music teacher [who's actually married to said excellent English teacher], a great maths teacher, 2 great HSIE teachers, a great science teacher...
It just depends on yourself, how you learn, your year, etc.

Oh, also. I see more laptops at my public school than I did at the Catholic.
And I did have an academic scholarship to go there. xD.

Also, as for the subject selections, the Catholic school had some non-UAI subjects such as Catholic Studies and Photography [prelim only] that my public school doesn't have, and I'm fairly sure they also offered Earth and Environmental Sciences.
They are, however, the only school in Goulburn not to offer Legal Studies.
The public school I'm at now also has a wider range of languages to choose from in your junior years, I do believe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)