What type of car to get? (1 Viewer)

Hazballs

HSC
Hey Guys,

So once i've got my P's (should be soon hopefully) i'll be buying a car. I've saved up around 12 grand which hopefully should enable me to get something fairly decent.. I've been looking around quite a bit and i don't really know what to get.. I need something big enough to fit a surf board or two in the car, as well as one or two mountain bikes.. There's just so many different types and i'm honestly no good with cars.. so yeah, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
You don't have to spend all of it you know, i recommend you keep some money left over for general maintenance, insurance, rego etc. From the sounds of, some type of hatchback or wagon could be good for you, seeing as you want to transport the bikes and surfs boards in the car without to much hassle.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
or even a ute might be something you want to think about, but then the whole not being able to take many passengers thing.

where have you been looking for decent second hand cars?

And I would definitely agree with drifting, rego/maintenance/insurance really adds up. Especially maintenance on a second hand car. I'd suggest staying away from brands like suzuki and mazda because their cars don't tend to age as well as others like toyota/honda.

Hazballs

HSC
You don't have to spend all of it you know, i recommend you keep some money left over for general maintenance, insurance, rego etc. From the sounds of, some type of hatchback or wagon could be good for you, seeing as you want to transport the bikes and surfs boards in the car without to much hassle.
Yeah, that's what i was thinking a hatchback or a wagon at the moment.. My dad said that if i bought the car then he would pay for insurance and rego which i was pretty happy with..

or even a ute might be something you want to think about, but then the whole not being able to take many passengers thing.

where have you been looking for decent second hand cars?

And I would definitely agree with drifting, rego/maintenance/insurance really adds up. Especially maintenance on a second hand car. I'd suggest staying away from brands like suzuki and mazda because their cars don't tend to age as well as others like toyota/honda.
yeah, i'd prefer if it had more seats.. I've been looking on car sales and then other website which i forgot the name of at the moment.. Also my mum's been ringing up some other place..

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Agree with maintenance costs, and if you crashed your $12k car, not a good feeling.

Get something you can beat up and not worry about. Your first car usually cops a bit of a beating.

Falcodore (Falcon/Commodore) wagons are cheap and reasonably reliable - plus very cheap to repair/maintain.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
MX5... perfect P plater car...

Dash8

HSC
I would recommend any Japanese brand, especially Suzuki, Toyota, Subaru or Nissan as these brands manufacture very reliable cars. I'd probably choose either a Subaru Liberty wagon, Subaru Outback or Subaru Forester. They are very reliable and have great safety features such as all wheel drive. You could also consider a Holden Commodore or Ford Falcon Wagon as they are big cars and could easily fit surf boards. The downside is they are not very fuel efficient.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I would recommend any Japanese brand, especially Suzuki, Toyota, Subaru or Nissan as these brands manufacture very reliable cars. I'd probably choose either a Subaru Liberty wagon, Subaru Outback or Subaru Forester. They are very reliable and have great safety features such as all wheel drive. You could also consider a Holden Commodore or Ford Falcon Wagon as they are big cars and could easily fit surf boards. The downside is they are not very fuel efficient.
More capable of towing though - but that may be irrelevant.

BigBadBader

HSC
i honestly dont understand the people that say "oh get a shitty car that you can smack around"
bro, if you crash, the car shouldnt be the first thing you worry about, it should be "am i gonna die?"

i know it is logical that P platers dont have as much experience as the "veterans" but having passed the test means that you can drive at a standard level, and that is what is needed.

yes, dont blow your savings on a supercar but dont be stingy with it either. and one thing to put in mind that is usually ignored is the saftey rating of the car, youtube some test car crashes and compare them, newer cars have been implementing new policies when designing there machines.

so yeh xD

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
i honestly dont understand the people that say "oh get a shitty car that you can smack around"
bro, if you crash, the car shouldnt be the first thing you worry about, it should be "am i gonna die?"

i know it is logical that P platers dont have as much experience as the "veterans" but having passed the test means that you can drive at a minimum standard level, and that is what is needed.

yes, dont blow your savings on a supercar but dont be stingy with it either. and one thing to put in mind that is usually ignored is the saftey rating of the car, youtube some test car crashes and compare them, newer cars have been implementing new policies when designing there machines.

so yeh xD
ftfy

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

i know it is logical that P platers dont have as much experience as the "veterans" but having passed the test means that you can drive at a standard level, and that is what is needed.

so yeh xD
Datsun 200b, its as strong as a brick wall.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
mitsubishi evolution
great car, but thankfully it's on the prohibited (for p platers) car list. i remember when i first drove one i thought whoa omg... and someone really could get into some trouble in this!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)