What to drop for year 12? (1 Viewer)

mel4dan

I dont know about you, but i really have no idea what im going to do and the end of term 3 when it comes to dropping a subject.

I am doing at the moment:

3U Maths
2U English Advanced
2U Biology
2U Chemistry
2U Earth and enviro
2U Modern history

I was wondering what you all think i should do next year. I have been advised greatly to do extension history because im going really well at it at the moment, however i want to do a BcS at uni. Therefore i need to keep 3U maths, but if i pick up ext history, i can easily drop a subject. However as i really love all my other subjects except english (which i cant drop), i dont want to drop any. Also, they are all sciences and tie in really well with each other and what i want to do later. But that would mean i would do 14 units in the HSC, even though i only need 10. Also, i want to do ext maths 2, but that makes it 15 units!!!! I really need some help with this decision because i have been told that even a 13unit workload is too much, therefore i have no idea as what to do. I could drop modern history, not do ext history, and then have 11 units. but then i am relying on 1 unit as my safety net. also, i would probably do better in modern history than 3unit maths or even 4unit maths, only because i have been going better in history at the moment, just not enjoying it us much as maths.(work that out). i have also been told that earth and enviro has a negative scaling, so that could be a problem if i do it in the hsc. but i really like earth and my teacher forbids me to drop it. Please help!!

JumboKHS

HSC
Just stick with the subjects that you like the most, if you like every subject you do then you wont need a saftey net because you will do well in all of them. However if you decide to do 4unit maths then it would be wise for you to keep a saftey net subject. I know many people that chose 4unit maths and because of that extra unit of maths they were able to drop a 2unit course and go down from 11 units to 10 units. However many of the people that did that either underestimated the difficulty and workload of 4unit maths or overestimated their abilities and are now failing terribaly in 4unit and have to live with it because they only have 10units.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
I had the same problem as you, I was doing 2u english adv, 3u maths, chemistry, physics, music 2 and ancient history. I wanted to pick up music ext, maths ext 2 and history ext, but decided 16 units may not have worked....Even though I loved all my subjects and didn't want to drop any.
I ended up dropping An history, purely because it didn't tie in with what I want to do at uni, and picked up the maths and music extensions.

So, it all depends on what you want to do after school, if you've made up your mind. But I would suggest maybe dropping a science if you want to pick up both those extensions. UNLESS of course you want to go into a science field after school- then drop Mod history.

I posted this in another thread as well, but meh.

mel4dan

yeah i have been thinking of just sticking with what ive got. i want to do something with science after school in uni, so i really dont want to drop a science.i would like to drop modern, but im worried what will happen if i do.

mel4dan

Emma-Jayde said:
What are you worried about? If you drop Mod history you could pick up maths ext 2 and have 12 units, which means that you could drop the maths ext later on if you can't keep up
yeah ive been thinking of doing that and that was my plan last year when i chose my subjects. but if i get the same mark in modern as i do in extention (which is about right), my modern mark will most likely be taken over the maths. and that is what im worried about. at my school there is only about 1 student that ever does ext maths 2, with more teachers sitting in. LOL!! so i dont know if it even is a wise choice...

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
:D In my class there's 5...we're the biggest ext class my school has had since my teacher has been there (bout 7 years maybe?) It depends on how good you are at maths, and how much work you're prepared to put in. Ask your maths teacher- They should honestly tell you whether or not they think you're capable of doing 4u maths.
Also, if you have a careers advisor, you should make an appointment with her/him and get their opinion. They'll have a better idea on how your marks will be scaled in the HSC, and what subjects you should look at doing depending on what uni courses you want to do.
Alternatively, you could just keep your subjects as they are if you're happy with them!
Just because you're good at something (eg history), doesn't mean that you have to do the extension for that subject.
Don't let anyone make you feel like you SHOULD be doing a subject. If you don't want to, don't! You won't do well in something that you don't really want to do

mel4dan

Emma-Jayde said:
:D In my class there's 5...we're the biggest ext class my school has had since my teacher has been there (bout 7 years maybe?) It depends on how good you are at maths, and how much work you're prepared to put in. Ask your maths teacher- They should honestly tell you whether or not they think you're capable of doing 4u maths.
Also, if you have a careers advisor, you should make an appointment with her/him and get their opinion. They'll have a better idea on how your marks will be scaled in the HSC, and what subjects you should look at doing depending on what uni courses you want to do.
Alternatively, you could just keep your subjects as they are if you're happy with them!
Just because you're good at something (eg history), doesn't mean that you have to do the extension for that subject.
Don't let anyone make you feel like you SHOULD be doing a subject. If you don't want to, don't! You won't do well in something that you don't really want to do
my teachers have made the choice so much harder!! LOL!! i do think i am capable of ext 2 maths, as i am ranked 1st at the moment in ext 1. and you're right, i shouldnt let anyone make me feel as though i should be doing a subject. maybe i should just keep what ive got and then drop something if i really need to...

Last edited by a moderator:

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
From my own experiences, 4u maths is a tediously dull subject. I suggest you just keep what you've got at the moment because you can always drop later in the year.

mel4dan

666_blessings said:
From my own experiences, 4u maths is a tediously dull subject. I suggest you just keep what you've got at the moment because you can always drop later in the year.
ok thanks for the advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)