What to buy for uni? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
In lieu of the 'Back to School' craze sweeping the nation, (and my younger sister), I stand uninformed, perhaps, of what is required for uni.
Seeing as I am the eldest and all of my close friends are too, I don't know what I should be buying and bringing to uni.
Any thoughts and suggestons?
I look at 'Lecture Books' and smile. They have a name!

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
A few pens, some notebooks, don't worry about textbooks until you go to your first lecture(they'll tell you which ones you need, and even then you may not actually use them much), but you should definitely get the course packs...

If you're going by public transport and catch more than 3 or 4 different buses per day, then definitely get a weekly travelpass.

HSC
So, with the notebooks, you just use them up as you go? Or rip out the sheets and put them into folders?

Jezzi

HSC
5 Subject books are good. All your stuff is in the once place. I tried folders in the first semester but everything ende dup falling out and getting lost.

Evilo

HSC
Jezzi said:
5 Subject books are good. All your stuff is in the once place. I tried folders in the first semester but everything ende dup falling out and getting lost.
really? i found the opposite. (Heaps of) Handouts don't easly fit in those 5 subject Spiral books, so carrying a folder with loose leaf paper and dividers worked well. Provided its a strong binding it should work fine.

HSC
Mmm. I was wondering about folders vs. books.
Does the amount of handouts you get depend on the course you do?
And would dividers in the case of folders be good? I don't get what you'd need the dividers for.

Evilo

HSC
rubificticious said:
Does the amount of handouts you get depend on the course you do?
yes,some of my courses give a few pages of lecture slides out each day
rubificticious said:
And would dividers in the case of folders be good? I don't get what you'd need the dividers for.
depends how you want to run it.
Dividers if you want to fit all the subjects in the same folder.
Otherwise i have seperate folders for each subject. And i take a clipboard and loose leaf paper to lectures. then at lunch (or at the end of the night) i put all my notes in their respective folders (i live on campus)

HSC
Evilo said:
yes,some of my courses give a few pages of lecture slides out each day

depends how you want to run it.
Dividers if you want to fit all the subjects in the same folder.
Otherwise i have seperate folders for each subject. And i take a clipboard and loose leaf paper to lectures. then at lunch (or at the end of the night) i put all my notes in their respective folders (i live on campus)
So, are you saying you do more than one course?

kitkatkittyau

HSC
My personal preference is for the 5 subject book. All together in one place and it means only one book to bring to uni everyday.

Also pens, lots of pens.

Other than that untill you get your textbook list there really isnt anything else.

Evilo

HSC
rubificticious said:
So, are you saying you do more than one course?
fine be smart about it, i do more than 1 subject. :roll:

w2dot

HSC
depends how much notes you take and how much work you want to do...most my lecturers last year had powerpoints so i printed those out and wrote on those

Jezzi

HSC
Evilo said:
really? i found the opposite. (Heaps of) Handouts don't easly fit in those 5 subject Spiral books, so carrying a folder with loose leaf paper and dividers worked well. Provided its a strong binding it should work fine.
I guess it depends how many handouts you get. I put mine in the pockets in the subject dividers, I guess they can hold quite a few. I didn't get lecture printouts, but if you do I guess you could just store them all in a folder of some sort. I just liked having all my stuff in the one place.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
depends on the subject... i just wing it.. and do notes for the ones with lectures.. and have a folder for ones with lots of hand outs..

nowadays.. in my old age.. i just bring a pen and a scrap of paper.. literally 1 A4 paper.. and write important points on it.. i find few things are not on the web or in a textbook.. otherwise.. after filling 1 recycling bin with 4 yrs of notes.. u realise how lil u acculmulate..

do wat suits u.. my brothers have been to uni.. all of us use different methods..one has perfect notes.. one has no notes or textbooks.. he kinda is special.... and im heading towards the minimal notes method..

G

Gavvvvvin

I've never understood the point of taking notes...thats what textbooks are for.

jirwin

HSC
i got lecture books for each subject. ones with pockets in them and that have a spiral so i can fold the book to fit on their horrible lecture theatre desks. also got a display folder for each subject for my own typed notes i hope to do. i've got 1 A4 level arch folder which im going to put all my notes and stuff in at the end of the semester to store away.

im a perfectionist when it comes to notes and stuff so dont mind me

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
kitkatkittyau said:
My personal preference is for the 5 subject book. All together in one place and it means only one book to bring to uni everyday.

Also pens, lots of pens.

Other than that untill you get your textbook list there really isnt anything else.
Depends on what you do, esp humanities i can fill one of those 5 subject books in a few weeks, coz of all the lectures.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
BlytheChloe said:
Have you witnessed anyone texting notes using their mobiles?
no.

i used the 5-subject notebook last year, it worked well. i have small writing and am a lazy note-taker, though. if you like to take copious notes you may run out of room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)