What tires do you use? (1 Viewer)

Doctor Sodways

HSC
Kumho 712, 235/45/17. Awesome value for money, silica compound so great wet weather grip, they wear well and they dont make much road noise, designed for wet roads too.

You wont get wrapped around a pole in the wet if you think about what your doing, and make sensible decisions

Jiga

You wont get wrapped around a pole in the wet if you think about what your doing, and make sensible decisions
Im talking about people doing stupid things in the wet, like approaching corners at speed etc thinking that 'Oh, Ive got $200 tyres on". Personally, I limit stupid actions in the wet, apart from purposely spinning the wheels, I drive cautiously in the wet... which is just logical.

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
loquasagacious said:
True enough - but I hope none of them can be found in the Car enthuseist forum lol.
Haha... I'm not sure which way I swing on the matter with my Civic. The thing is, my car ain't that powerful, it's an automatic, I don't plan on doing any engine/performance modifications, and the car already has enough roll as it is- so I might as well use tyres which make it a comfy ride^^... although after driving my Dad's car with performance tyres, whilst noisy, I have to admit they do make the car handle considerably better.

alexxxz

HSC
some tyres can perform the same in the wet as in the try (to a certain extent) as the tread pattern allows for fast water ejection.

anything > $200 per tyre will handle excellent, treadwear to be pretty good and noise level shouldnt be too bad depending on the tread pattern once again. the blockier the tread the louder they are...

Jiga

some tyres can perform the same in the wet as in the try (to a certain extent) as the tread pattern allows for fast water ejection.

anything > $200 per tyre will handle excellent, treadwear to be pretty good and noise level shouldnt be too bad depending on the tread pattern once again. the blockier the tread the louder they are...
Yeah I agree, that is what I was trying to get at to, you pay for what you get! For me personally, the 326's are good enough, they provide good handling in dry conditions where I usually need it, and are average in the wet where I usually drive cautiously anyhow.

Jiga

Well Ive changed over from Falkens to Continentals.... I will see how they compare. First impression is that the Falkens in the dry at least had abit more grip (Although in the defence of the continentals the ones I got are "comfort performance" whereas the Falkens would be classed more as just performanace based). The Continentals are rated Y (300km/h) LOL!

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Wet v. dry is a tradeoff. More tread on the ground in the dry is best hence slicks for racing and grooved slicks for the keen on the roads (thinking Flaken Azenis). Conversly though in the wet you want less tread on the ground, or rather you want larger gaps to get the water out better.

Wet v Dry = bigger gaps v smaller gaps.

Take a 'neutral tyre' make it handle better wet and it will handle worse dry, and vice versa.

pottsy44

HSC
it was understeer which occured in your situation, most road cars will not suffer oversteer. a driver my think there car is oversteering but it will most likely just be driver error.

oversteer is a term more associated with racing vechiles where softer compound tyres, camber settings and the spacing of the tyres. where changing these elements may cause oversteer.

Jiga

it was understeer which occured in your situation, most road cars will not suffer oversteer. a driver my think there car is oversteering but it will most likely just be driver error.

oversteer is a term more associated with racing vechiles where softer compound tyres, camber settings and the spacing of the tyres. where changing these elements may cause oversteer.
RWD = oversteer - FWD = understeer. Simple as that. Street cars can get oversteer if they are RWD :uhhuh:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Generally though rwd street cars are still designed to understeer, this is because for the layman it is easier to control.

And at sufficient speed/braking all cars will tend to plough understeer.

mrviper89

HSC
Bridgestones dont do a bad job, a little expensive though i think. i heard they are a good quality tyre

Jiga

Generally though rwd street cars are still designed to understeer, this is because for the layman it is easier to control.

And at sufficient speed/braking all cars will tend to plough understeer.
More modern RWD yea, but even like 98 Commodores still have a tendency to oversteer big time. And the point was, "pottsy" is claiming most road cars dont suffer from oversteer when any RWD can if pushed hard enough, ESPECIALLY in the wet.

On my tyres though, maybe its cos Im use to the bald ones or maybe because they are better... but the Continentals grip very well in the wet!! (They do advertise this point to)

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
oooh tyres
in the past ive experimented with
pirelli p nero zero (not bad when new in the dry...really crap otherwise)
falken ziek (utter shithouse!)

im just running on shitty tyres atm because the secondhand rims i bought came with it. i recently purchased a pair of bridgestone re050's which are meant to be good

gna

HSC
I'm running Bridgestone Potenza's RE010

pottsy44

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
More modern RWD yea, but even like 98 Commodores still have a tendency to oversteer big time. And the point was, "pottsy" is claiming most road cars dont suffer from oversteer when any RWD can if pushed hard enough, ESPECIALLY in the wet.

On my tyres though, maybe its cos Im use to the bald ones or maybe because they are better... but the Continentals grip very well in the wet!! (They do advertise this point to)
i do accept the fact that cars will oversteer in the right conditions but the terms oversteer and understeer can only be used when you are 'pushing' a car. and rwd cars WILL understeer regardless or wet or dry. and for another matter of fact you will not oversteer in the WET bc there is not enough grip.

a fwd car will have a greater tenancy then a rwd car to oversteer as the front tyres are doing the driving, whilst in a rwd car the drive comes from the rear so in most cases you will get a ploughing effect hence understeer.

oversteer will happen in a rwd car if you gas it up in the corner allowing the back to slide out, but thats the only way it will happen. but mid-corner directions are not what you take into consideration. understeer and oversteer are used for how a car approaches a corner and how it reacts to the initial turn in the steering. which leads me back to your point about how you said you oversteer in the WET. dude a wet road means alot less grip which means it is going to be pretty bloody hard to oversteer as oversteering requires alot of grip (whether it be the tyre grip, wheel spacing or camber setting).

Jiga

Ok here is some education:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversteer

Front wheel drive cars virtually cannot oversteer, I dont know where you got that from!! Oversteer occurs more in the wet, as the back wheels begin to spin, obviously losing traction, and trailing out from the line of the front tyres which still have traction because they aernt powered. In the dry same applies except you really have to push hard around a corner to get the back coming out whilst under acceleration because obviously its alot harder to lose traction in the dry.

CieL

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Ok here is some education:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversteer

Front wheel drive cars virtually cannot oversteer, I dont know where you got that from!! Oversteer occurs more in the wet, as the back wheels begin to spin, obviously losing traction, and trailing out from the line of the front tyres which still have traction because they aernt powered. In the dry same applies except you really have to push hard around a corner to get the back coming out whilst under acceleration because obviously its alot harder to lose traction in the dry.
My Euro (FF) did that the other day.....

A few days ago, the first day it started raining, I was coming home from work late at night and was trying to make the yellow light... Never had a problem with that 90 degree right before... but as I swung into the apex of my turn my whole car started vibrating badly and making funny noises and I realised the rear and left side of my car was getting closer and closer to the guard rail (note that it was a two laned road, I entered the turn in the right lane and skidded out to the left lane)... I dont even remember what I did after that, just remember that somehow I corrected it literally 15cm from the kerb and was so shocked I drove home without my usual spirit...

Jiga

^

So your saying it oversteered? FWD cant oversteer I dont think or at least its almost impossible to make them..... more than likely you over-corrected and the car as a result had some lateral movement (the noises, could they have been stability control... my friend has a Euro and said it has that).... or maybe it was understeer but then it regained grip and its then caused the lateral movement (Ive had this happen to me where you get the tyres spinning, then if they aernt faced straight when you stop accelerating hard, it will pull towards the direction they are facing joltiing the whole car and sometimes getting abit of movement at the back).

Although its weird cos usually if their is a traction issue you will just get understeer b4 anything... because you've for example hit a corner to fast in the wet and the front tyres dont grip, causing you to exist the corner at a wider than expected position. I dunno though, hard to tell what exactly happened in your case...

lengy

HSC
Tires are 2 months old and from the first week I knew they'd be a problem. So far if I apply the correct pressure it was stop very decently in a straight line. However in the wet, even on tarmac, wheelspin off the lights. There have been several occasions I've taken corners at moderate speeds only to find understeers. On my more faster approaches, two occasions with the wheel turned at a sharp angle, the entire traction is lost and I've had to overcorrect and keep pressure on the pedal before exiting the turn and spinning the wheel quickly straight again. Really hate these tires. My dad said something about tire pressure but I dunno if it's that or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)