What The Fuck Was Crime?? (1 Viewer)

Golani

a) crimes against person (Toney's abuse), crimes against property (theft- credit cards), drug crimes (illegal possession in the house)

b) Extradite the fucker or try him here (and maybe ask for evidence from other countries to establish a case).

c) give examples, David Heeks, Bilal Kazal etc.

Can you people specify what you put here?, examples, history? what/././// i talked about international cooperation to fight international crime and international terrorism, gave examples of bali bombing etc...

d) give examples: death penalty, corporal punishment, penalties for drug and sexual crimes...

hmm what more?

lost shorti

HSC
N/A
one quick question...
oh yea in spirit of the hsc I HATE F********* INTERNATIONAL CRIME phew!!!
anyway...for part d) since it didnt specify we had to related it to the above scenario...did we really have to anyway? will we be penalised for not referring back to it?
relieve my stress for me
n good luck for the rest of the exams
cheerio champs

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Golani

c) give examples, David Heeks, Bilal Kazal etc.
I can't actually remember what I wrote for this, but Im assuming you mean David Hicks and Bilal Skaf. In which case, I guess the first is a good example (though his crime was not really an international one, more a crime against the state), and the second has absolutely nothing to do with it (he was a gang rapist in Australia, there was no international component to it?)

mememe

I didnt use any cases, only acts, cos i didnt know any to be honest. Although it didnt specifically say for them in (c) i dont think, i'll still be marked down.

Golani

lol Ms 12 no, i'm talking about one of the leaders of the lebanses community in Melbourne, Bilal Kazal, he is wanted in Lebanon for affiliation with the Hezbollah or some other terrorist rganisation but the goverment chose not to extradite him and not even try and prosecute him or take anyy further action.

The notion of state sovereignty plays a big role here as well (i mean in question c)

Golani

and i'm not disputing David's last name :p i just pulled his case out of my ass in the examination because i just tried to write as much as i can...

And yes, you would lose marks for not referring to the stimulus in question c, i sure as hell gonna lose some coz i didn't refer either, didn't know what to say simplym it's a matter of 1, 2 marks max.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
it was a three mark question, they wanted 3 types of crime present in the scenario. I wrote offences against persons, economic offences and offences against the international community'. You were just wasting time if you wrote anymore.
not entirely true. those aren't exactly 3 types of crime, they are 3 categories of crime. i wrote assault, drug trafficking and i forgot the other 1, they are three types of crime

and 1 legal measure every 1 forgot was interpol (international police), but i used extradition, and dealing it with domestically cuz its still a domestic crime

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
You need to read your syllabus mate. The types of crime are:
crimes against persons
crimes against the state
economic offences
drug offences
regulatory offences
international crimes
preliminary crimes
victimless crimes

Josh17

i think Suney_J could be a little bit "cuckoo....cuckoo"lol.

Parts a) and d) were good for crime, but b) and c) were fucked. I said most of the stuff that people are talking about, but I felt like i was repeating myself when I was writing c), coz it seemed like I had already said a lot of the stuff in part b)

Somebody on the last page said that the gang rape case had nothing to do with the question. I'm not sure if they were talking about c) or d) but if they were talking about d) then I think there totally wrong. d) didn't have to be international crime.

For d) i said how the use of juries reflects community standards and expectations as they are made up of a cross section of soceity. But juries are only used to decide guilt or innocence so in response to the question I said the actual penalties are determined by the judges who are meant to deliver punishments that reflect community standards, but occasionally judges can be bias and use their own discretion which is not always reflective of societies standards and expectations. e.g. the gang rape case

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Josh17
Somebody on the last page said that the gang rape case had nothing to do with the question. I'm not sure if they were talking about c) or d) but if they were talking about d) then I think there totally wrong. d) didn't have to be international crime.
That was me and I wasn't talking about D. I was talking about someone who put it for C, where it didn't apply.
I used the gang rapes for D, an example of how the penalty in that case reflected community expectations.

sugamama

Coldplay Fan
I was writing mainly about

the purposes of punishment
options for punishment in achieving justice/com expectations

then a crapload on how sentences can/not reflect community standards because

objective/subjective circumstances of offence/offender
ie. individual cases means differences
mitigating/aggravating factors
as was shown in the gang rape cases with the omission of the knife thus lower sentences due to dodgy plea bargaining

judges also have legislative restrictions such as Sentencing ACt and mandatory life sentences act. I talked about both acts and how it can/not reflect com expectations.

and then i finished up with measures/new stuff like Sentencing Information System and maybe introducing GRID sentencing to achive more consistency.

meh!

Golani

*Cough*

It was i who mentioned sexual assault penalties for section (d), of course they're relevant. The question asks about penalties, i.e. the type of penalties prescribed by the legal system and the penalties for specific crimes. Don't you all remember the dude who got 55 years in gaol for the gang rape?

Wanna seriously tell me that's irrelevant to community's standards and expectations?

Josh17

I think you may have missed something Golani...

We all agree that the gang rape case is relevant to d). I was saying it was not relevant to c) coz i wasn't sure which question Ms 12 was talking about earlier.

Crossed lines dude

Golani

gotcha....yeah it's relevant for (d)- the 10 mark question.
but it can't be relevant for (c) because the guy and all of his friends were Australians (unfortunately)...

poor girl :(

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
LOL .... shit did i stuff up, i jst read the syllabus and it showed the types of crime. but i read this guide that summarises the whole topic, and it showed the types of crime to be different, DAMN!!, i spent around $12 on that book, but it cost me 3 marks. hey can i take legal action against the author under contract or tort law, cuz she was negligent, or she breached our contract ??

Golani

lol...read the legal statement, i bet it would say "the author and publisher of this book can not be held reliable for any negligent or misleading answer" blah blah blah

they're covered :p

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
last year's hsc had it so easy lol..... that helen and tom case... i mean, MENS REA?! ACTUS REUS?!? errr, i wonder what that is? -__-;;

while WE get international crime. *wails* lol, i didn't even touch it. i just rattled off some crap about extradition. hmmph. ten marks down the drain for me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)