What textbooks do I need for first year civil engineering? (1 Viewer)

5mmgridbook

HSC
Hi, I'm starting civil engineering this year with the following:
ENGG1000
ENGG1811
MATH1131
PHYS1121

I was wondering if anyone with experience or knowledge of these courses could tell me whether or not I really need to buy the textbooks? Or could anyone please give me some general tips?

Thank you very much

D94

HSC
N/A
MATH1131 has a course pack which you should buy. It contains notes and tutorial problem sets, as well as info on the tests and exam. Don't buy the prescribed textbook - lecturers don't recommend it.

PHYS1121 has a lab manual which you can either buy from the Bookshop or download and print off (but there's like 100 pages or so). There's also a problem sets booklet which is useful. You won't "need" the prescribed textbook, but it's useful - maybe borrow it out if you are stuck with any online work (there's a Moodle and another online assessment which I can't remember atm).

You won't really need to buy textbooks for the other 2. There are plenty of online resources for ENGG1811. You won't need a textbook for ENGG1000 - it's a project based subject.

RazorICE

UNSW Engineering
HSC
Uni Grad
You won't need a textbook for ENGG1000 - it's a project based subject.
Not quite true. I assume it depends on the project you pick, but for us, we had to write reports and include a bunch of BS stuff from the "textbook" - failure to do so meant losing marks. This doesn't mean buy the textbook - don't. It's the most useless one of the four classes. But you may need to find a copy of it somewhere, such as the library, and get a few photocopies taken.

D94

HSC
N/A
Operative word being "need" in a topic about buying textbooks.

But sure, maybe you'll be required to include some stuff from the textbook, I know I didn't have to, OP will need to wait until their projects start to see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)