what TEXTBOOK do you use?! (1 Viewer)

Lexie1001

HSC
for year 12 3 unit we use cambridge but we also have the 2 unit and 3 unit fitzpatrick from last year which we don't use in class but just for revision...most in my class are too lazy to use it though. we were also told to buy the 'understanding maths in year 12' books but i find the qs in those way harder than the ones in tests. should do them though.

Undertoad

HSC
Fitzpatrick, I find that Cambridge goes off the topics sometimes and although it does extend you, you really need the time for it

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
The class uses Maths In Focus, but I find Fitzpatrick better overall. I learn the concept from Maths in Focus, and do the questions from Fitzpatrick. :)

I_F

Tikkki

HSC
My school uses Maths in Focus and let me assure you that its the best text book out for 2/3 unit maths...

vandy88

HSC
zergcave said:
we are currently using the classic Couchman Jones 3 unitmaths text in class.
what do u pple use??

i feel that this book is quite outdated (my maths teacher used the book himself, in his HSC) and does not realli have the harder questions to truly challenge students. It is, i have heard, actually the easiest book out there in use by skools.

im thinking about getting the harder texts for year 12...Cambridge or Coroenos.
my school uses jones/couchman with supplments from coroneos when the teacher wants to give us harder questions

abcd9146

HSC
For 2 unit ONLY:
Fitzpartrick, J+C (2U version) Maths in Focus

3 Unit
Fitxpatrick, J+C (3U versions)
and chapter photocopies of:
Cambrige, Maths in Focus (This is Groves right?), and Coroneus

4 Unit
Fitzpatrick and Cambridge

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Yeah, Maths is Focus author is Margret Grove

I use Cambrige and Terry Lee im prob going to get Fitzpatrik 2&3u soon.
I got the Jones and Couchman 3U book from school.

bboyelement

HSC
i use maths in focus but i think its too easy even the challenge exercise so im thinking of getting the fitzpactrick

vizman

HSC
when you guys say Fitzpatrick do u mean the 'New Senior Mathematics Book' because thats the one i use and its by Fitzpatrick

j-mo

HSC
Yeah, it's the same thing, I think. The yellow book, right?

I use Jones and Couchman, for both 2 and 3 unit, but I've got Fitzpatrick and Cambridge at home.

Isn't Maths In Focus supposed to be easier then Jones & Couchman?

jared_88

HSC
Sorry I know this is probably a little bit of a late reply, but:

*Our school uses Cambridge
*My tutor uses Fitzpatrick

What I have found is that Fitzpatrick has a very good learning curve starting with easy questions and progressing steadily to hrader soughts of questions (graphically like a linear curve (If you understand what I mean)). Whereas Cambridge starts off with some good easy questions but then jumps head first into really hard questions. Thats why I think Cambridge has an unnecessarily steep learning curve (sought of like an exponential curve (If you understand what I mean)).

So, Fitzpatrick is a great textbook for learning from, although Cambridge is a great supplementation for some really challenging questions (although the writers all too often try and show off their knowledge through very unnecessarily over-complicated wording of questions (I mean take it easy we're not at uni yet!)).

This is just my opinion of these two text books! Let me know what other people think.

slimkton

HSC
My school uses Cambridge for all 2/3 and 4 unit Maths, there are lots of challanging Qs i couldn't do, esp in the 'extension' Qs

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Cambridge is confusing to read imo, probably the paper. Fitzpatrick looks good though, hmm, I might use that.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
yeh Cambridge is a bitch of a book... I had to use it last year but then they replaced em with the old Couchman books- problem is that the books we use at my school are from the 1970s so u can imagine how old and falling apart they are...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)