• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what subject do i need 2 choose? (1 Viewer)

Dani0814

HSC
if i wanna be a doctor what subject do i need to choose in year 11?

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
chemistry is usually a prequisite.

go look at some degrees and look at what they want in assumed knowledge.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
You need some more information than that in your OP...

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
PDHPE, Advanced English, Mathematics Ex t 1, Biology

Nutrition maybe?

bored of sc

HSC
Possibly:

(Advanced) English or higher (extension)
Mathematics or higher (extension)
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
PDHPE

Pretty much what everyone else said, but really, you don't NEED to do anything as they are ways around everything these days.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Dani0814 said:
if i wanna be a doctor what subject do i need to choose in year 11?
Doctor = Asian subjects = Mathematics Extension 2, Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, English (Standard)/ESL/English (Advanced).

On a serious note, I have to see what your interests are and where you academic abilities lie. You have to choose subjects based on your interst, academic ability, your desired future career and etc. Go to my thread "what are you going to do next year" and have a look at the first and second page and the 2nd last page.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
i guess it fully depends on what type of doctor you want to be.
i recommend chemistry, physics, biology, extension maths. english advanced i think would be more beneficial than standard/esl.

Dani0814

HSC
lyounamu said:
Doctor = Asian subjects = Mathematics Extension 2, Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, English (Standard)/ESL/English (Advanced).

On a serious note, I have to see what your interests are and where you academic abilities lie. You have to choose subjects based on your interst, academic ability, your desired future career and etc. Go to my thread "what are you going to do next year" and have a look at the first and second page and the 2nd last page.

THANX

eliseliselise

HSC
hey! i remember.. this time last year i was asking the exact same question!! well, chem is a prerequisite- so DO THAT. so that's 2 units. and then you need english OBVIOUSLY.. don't do standard [bad scaling, unless you get a fabulous mark]. basically you want the BEST UAI POSSIBLE so you can get into med, right? not subjects that ur going to need like 5986095806805 hours tutoring for, or subjects that you think "might" help you during one tutorial in 2nd year health science or whatever-- coz you have to get into med first. i would recommend ATLEAST 2u maths, preferrably 3u- same goes for english. although there is nothing wrong with taking general or standard- the scaling can interfere. talk to other kids who got into med, see what subjects they picked and go from there.

but, at the end of the day...

it's up to you!!

also, keep your mind open- you may want to do med now, but sometime next year you might want to take up modelling or something like that. nothing is set in stone.

good luck :)

agua.fuego

HSC
eliseliselise said:
sport maybe? i thought that was compulsory everywhere.. not an elective. hmm.. i miss year 10!
Ditching sport was the best thing about Year 11 for me. :)

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
agua.fuego said:
Ditching sport was the best thing about Year 11 for me. :)
sport for me in yr 10 consisted of going to a venue, then buying a sickly amount of lassos/clouds etc and sitting on my arse for the rest of the time. ahh miss that.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
You also have to sit a UMAT test, submit a CV (some uni's) and attend a interview.

Gah its a lot harder these days, not just about the UAI's

autumn-angel

HSC
first of all
it is less likely to get that UAI
and then you even hav sit UMAT
and then an interview
then we hav a shortage of doctors

thats freakin bullshit
I used to wanna be a doctor, but not anymore coz of the excessively high UAI required and UMAT test, which is supposedly hard too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)