What should I do about my Modern History teacher? (1 Viewer)

TiernanCavill

HSC
N/A
Hello, I have a problem, I want a Band 6 in Modern History but my teacher isn't very helpful.
All we do is read, highlight, make notes and sometimes a source analysis' or two.
He'll sometimes talk to a student who doesn't even do Modern History!

What should I do? I don't find him a very helpful teacher to be honest. I mean he's smart and all but not very helpful.
And for those who did/do Modern History, what did you guys do?

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Hello, I have a problem, I want a Band 6 in Modern History but my teacher isn't very helpful.
All we do is read, highlight, make notes and sometimes a source analysis' or two.
He'll sometimes talk to a student who doesn't even do Modern History!

What should I do? I don't find him a very helpful teacher to be honest. I mean he's smart and all but not very helpful.
And for those who did/do Modern History, what did you guys do?
My modern history teacher is a HSC marker and that's what we did in class, and I thought it was very helpful and a good method of getting the content across. Keep in mind it's history, not like chemistry or biology. You'll have to read it, highlight and make notes regardless.

abcderic

Untitled
HSC
I had a pretty shitty Software teacher, was ranked 2, ended up dropping it. If you're really interested in it, then try to just do the work you need to do, and screw the teacher's work, highlight some stuff and get on to writing your notes lol. However, I did not do Modern so I wouldn't really know too much.
If you really hate it, and the rest of your subjects are great, and you're doing well in them, and you have enough units to drop Modern, then do so. Just make sure it is an informed decision when you do choose to drop it.
Hope I helped, sorry if I didn't XD

enoilgam

HSC
To be honest, you dont really need a good teacher for Modern History - you can pretty much teach the content to yourself. You would probably need to find someone who can help you out with the essays and read over them for you. Besides that, I think you should be fine.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Do all the past papers you can and get them marked by your teacher.

I can help if you pm me.

Dementured

HSC
Yeah this is exactly what we did in class to learn the content. You'll be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Sometimes with teachers like that, you have to draw on them to help you. If you actively ask them questions or to read over stuff, sometimes you'll draw them out to being helpful to you because they'll see you are serious about the sub. (My modern teacher was a little like this).

If that doesn't work (some teachers just are unhelpful), you go the independent self teach road. HSC content is great that it's so set out in a syllabus, so self teaching is not too daunting and there are plenty of past exams and stuff to go over.

pigas

HSC
Well isn't that pretty much what you do in History subjects, anyway? I don't do history but in my junior years when I did it, the main thing we did was reading, high lighting, and making notes. You could express your concerns to your teacher and suggest maybe watching some educational movies on the topic you're studying every once in a while, or whatever else you feel might help. Otherwise, you could do that at home instead when you study for history.

gleeek

HSC
I was blessed to have been given a great teacher for modern, but I had a similar issue with ancient history- his teaching style hardly worked with me and I was compelled to endure self-teaching. To be honest, the only thing you can do is teach the content to yourself (or get a tutor). Trust me, although it may sound extremely hard and tedious, it will stick with you more if you do it yourself. Just read through notes, absorb them, think about what you're reading, and, most importantly, learn to appreciate the information you're learning. Second step is writing as many essays as you can.

That being said, if you need any help with reading essays, I am more than willing to offer my help. I have just completed my HSC and ranked 2nd internally with a raw internal mark of 92 (not sure about my overall HSC mark as I'm still awaiting results).

Good luck and all the best in the upcoming year!

Rivaille

HSC
Honestly, there isn't that much more a teacher can do for a subject like history. It's really up to you to read over and memorise the content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)