What selective schools should my cousin apply for? (1 Viewer)

studentcheese

HSC
Hi everyone.

I have a cousin in Year 8 this year and he is planning to attend a selective school in Year 9. His family does not know which schools he should apply for. He attends a school ranked around 310th in 2008 and 280th in 2007. (I think so)

His report

English: B
Maths:A
Science: B
History: B
Geography: C
Art: C
PDHPE: D
Technology: C

The grades may not look that good, but he is in the top class for all subjects. He got in the second highest band for both the NAPLAN tests.

Extra curricular activities: Well, he has not entered in a state wide competition before neither has he done anything else worth mentioning. He was a Peer Support Leader in Year 6. He has lost all his merit certificates from Year 7.

I was thinking of maybe a partially selective school like Macquarie Fields. What do you guys think?

duckcowhybrid

HSC
James Ruse. No, I'm not trolling. Ask him which area he'd prefer to go to school in, and then pick the selective in that area.

MasterSifu

HSC
Though, partially selective may seem to be the best option, it is also harder to get in with generally less vacancy as the total amount of selective spots for a partially selective school is limited.

Also i heard in yr 11 and 12 it is not partially selective and its all mixed around with the rest, coz of the range of subjects available

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Yeah partially selective.
I was wondering, what do you need to get into a selective school? What kind of grades would be considered especially if you go to a low ranked school like in the 500s?

studentcheese

HSC
If your school is ranked in the 500s and you want to get into a partially selective school, A's and a few B's would suffice. If you want to get into a fully selective school, you would need all A's plus probably top a few subjects.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
The finest and most glorious educational instituite of Tempe High School the great, with history and values so rich and grand that it is incomparable to any other high school in this boundless constellation.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
where does he live?

apply for caringbah. probably the easiest fully selective to get into.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
The finest and most glorious educational instituite of Tempe High School the great, with history and values so rich and grand that it is incomparable to any other high school in this boundless constellation.
Tempe is pathetic.

OT:
A selective school near your area; otherwise a partially selective school will do with those results.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
where does he live?

apply for caringbah. probably the easiest fully selective to get into.
this.

its easy to get into, and is currently ranked 20th.
good music and sport as well.

naturally depends on area though, shop around, but go high ranking if possible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)